All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:35 am

Post subject: Troop number to point size ratio
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hi all!

I was wondering if anybody had a good guide for the range in numbers of troops for an army of a particular point size to be effective?

So for example

500pts 20-40 models??
750pts ""
1000pts
etc etc

Post subject: Re: Troop number to point size ratio
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

All depends on which army you are fielding! For instance you would have more goblins than elves for the same points game
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

True, true!

But there must be a range, with the higher number of models being Goblins sure... but I often read in the "beginners" and "army building" threads comments about model counts being low due to using too many points on particular heroes or monsters at certain points limits...

For example, my 500pt Grey company will be 32 models and my 500pt all mounted Rohan will be 22... if I'm playing at 1000pts I'll combine the two and there will be 54 models. Are these numbers light, average or abundant for those points totals?

Curious!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:50 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

most models I have had in an army was 132 goblins + heroes in 1000pts. I tend to have at least 30 in 500pts and 50-70 in 1000pts depending on the army.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

500 pts: 32-39 units
700 pts: 39- 52 units
1000 pts: 52+

that's excluding goblins off course

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The best way to ind out about hi is to look in army help for lists on the forces you are interested in, and see what Whafrog says about them
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:24 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

It doesn't really matter if you have fewer models unless you have a very open board

For example, I play high elves and have never lost a match because you have to position your army in such a place where you cannot be swarmed and cover your flanks

You can never o wrong with backing up your soldiers with spearmen or pikemen, and a superior fight value means that if you get a six you win

If you manage to hold a gap with some strong warriors, you can hold off the front few lines an take out the back ones with your archers (this tactic is yet to fail me)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:52 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I can't remember what version of the game it was, but there used to be a troop number limit, I think it was 50 on 500pts, but to my knowledge that is not the case anymore.
Like everyone else has said it depends, I play with lower cost heros and tons of troop types, simply numbers win almost every time, if you use them right.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The size ratio depends much on the armies :)

For my Moria army I normally include around 30 goblins each 250points(around 150points out of 250) and the remain 80 on a troll or a captain or saving for something big later on :)
On elves well its diferent, high elves I would place a core bettewn 15 to 20 high elves per 250pts, leaving the remain spare points and those last 250pts for heroes and such.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:13 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

@Galanur: that sounds like a LoME setup, since warbands don't really let you create your armies that way.

@Thermo: I think this is still something people are working out with the change to warbands, and since there's so little thread traffic on the issue I have to think most people are finding it takes care of itself. You'd probably still want to stick with a few general rules, eg unless you're going all hero you still want as many warriors as you can get, especially at low points. So for 500 point armies you'd tend to need the cheaper heroes (Rumil, Erkenbrand, Eowyn, Beregond), at 750 you can throw in a Faramir or Legolas, and at 1000 you can add a Boromir, Aragorn, Elrond or Wizard.

Just general rules, but of course rules are made to be broken... :)
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

whafrog wrote:
@Galanur: that sounds like a LoME setup, since warbands don't really let you create your armies that way.

@Thermo: I think this is still something people are working out with the change to warbands, and since there's so little thread traffic on the issue I have to think most people are finding it takes care of itself. You'd probably still want to stick with a few general rules, eg unless you're going all hero you still want as many warriors as you can get, especially at low points. So for 500 point armies you'd tend to need the cheaper heroes (Rumil, Erkenbrand, Eowyn, Beregond), at 750 you can throw in a Faramir or Legolas, and at 1000 you can add a Boromir, Aragorn, Elrond or Wizard.

Just general rules, but of course rules are made to be broken... :)

Thanks whafrog, helpful and insightful as always!