All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:09 am

Post subject: Using Real Life Tactics
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hi guys,

Do any of you use tactics that have been used un real life in battles. By this I do not mean things like making a shield wall or outflanking your enemy, but replicating the tactics used by a particular general in battle.

I find that Hannibals tactics in the battle of cannae are superb, and this nearly always works in battle (deliberately breaking your own infantry line to draw in the enemy, then surround them)

Does anyone use any other tactics from historical battles, or just iTunes if the ordinary tactics?

Thanks,
LordElrond
 Post subject: Re: Using Real Life Tactics
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I believe that by studying historical tactics it really helps play a better game. Not specifically to say "this tactic worked for General X so I will try it here." Generally speaking the level of tactics recorded and studied from historical battles is so much larger than the scale of an SBG game. But it's more of getting the mentality and mindset. Understanding the concepts of historical battles, both success and failures, can be a good way to enhance your play style.

The lessons of Sun Tzu are another very good source. Again many of his lessons are at greater political or army-wide in scope, but most of his strategies can be applied even on the 6x4 table top. I also find the naval tactics of Nelson very inspirational.

None of this is actually better than real table-top experience, but is one more tool in your arsenal.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:21 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I find the tactics of Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great inspiring, also you cant try looking at some famous political battles
so while you are playing you can cuss your opponent in dignified fashion whithout any swearing when you've lost your best hero. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:23 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Beowulf speaks with wisdom.

Failure to study the defeats of previous leaders is an oversight. Yet, slavishly following a plan without responding to unforseen movements and tactics of your foe is also an (potentially fatal) error.

Never, I repeat never confuse strategic and tactical decisions!

Learn from those who have gone before and then, use a flamethrower!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:48 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have to go along with Beowulf03809 and mad_dan. Its okay to start a battle by using a historical reference but you must make sure you don't get to fixated on that plan. If you opponent knows you or guesses what you will do they will attempt to adapt to prevent you from getting the advantage.

The principles laid down by Sun Tzu are great ones (of course not the issues of logistics or politics but of over all strategy when it come to SBG) to remember when playing a small elite force as if you don't control the battle and make the enemy defeat himself you will be defeated by making poor tactical decisions. I also am a fan of 五輪のしょ aka Book of Five Rings for thinking about tactics. And while I'm not a fan of Machiavelli The Prince was worth a read in my opinion.

I think I also understand what your saying as well LordElrond. If I am reading what your saying correctly then your point is that, by understanding how the battles where fought and the tactics used you will know how to execute them and bring yourself victory when the situation arises.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:55 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yes, that's what I mean, so I have a different battle plan that can go into action for any situation
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:04 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Also, though Napoleon never wrote a book on War (he believed in reacting to every situation independently, and once he stopped doing this he started losing, so I suppose he's right), his remarks and principles are also very well worth a read.

:puppy:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks guys,
I've had a look at Sun Tzu's thingymbob and I will always take into acount what you said, Telchar.

Anyone use tactics from a particular battle?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:48 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I use the strategy from the Battle of Agincourt: be lucky and fire as many arrows as possible!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm confused as to how surrounding in SBG will be beneficial. Most of the time you don't have formations more than 2 models thick, so to outnumber you would have to give up spear support would you not, assuming even numbers? Also something like that is easy to see coming, so I could just fall back a bit and then charge the pincers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:13 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You could surround a mainly on foot force with cavalry?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Unfortunately I lost the bulk of some of my old wiki pages a long time back when I converted over to a different management system for my website, but I had a number of break downs of specific Sun Tzu principles and how the concepts are applicable to SBG.

I just never got around to re-formatting what I did recover nicely yet so it's not the more consistent part of my site, but I do intend to dig back into again, clean up what's there and expand with what I can remember from earlier efforts.

http://www.tacticsinminiature.com/artofwar

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I use dynasty warriors tactics to win the gamez!!!11!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:30 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I think that you could use real life strategies. You can use battle of cannae strategy to encircle the enemy to limit their movement options and trapping different troops types(elites in the middle can´t move if 20 other models are crammed together in a small space). With Rohan you could use mongols strategy with feint flights harassing the enemy with arrows and throwing spears and when the chance come, you could attack maybe 5 infantery with 6 cavalery when the enemy is isolated.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That's a good idea
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:59 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Is there anyone who have used an Real life tactic and been successful with it? Not counting encirclement(but counting Hannibal)