All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:55 am

Post subject: Riders of Rohan with 100% bow rule
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Has anybody played with riders of rohan since this FAQ either with/without the other rules on bows/movement/volleys? Obviously, lots of complaints about effectiveness of RoR across these forums at various points so keen to hear if it's made a difference.

I'm interested to see how they do as mine are well on the way to being finished!

Post subject: Re: Riders of Rohan with 100% bow rule
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thermo wrote:
Has anybody played with riders of rohan since this FAQ either with/without the other rules on bows/movement/volleys? Obviously, lots of complaints about effectiveness of RoR across these forums at various points so keen to hear if it's made a difference.

That was one of the first things I tried, it was pretty frustrating. In retrospect what I did wrong was try too hard to stay inside charge range while also staying outside my opponent's charge range (berserkers and uruks). This meant constant movement. I should have found a place to sit, shoot for a while, and then move in taking whatever bonus pot-shots I could.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:09 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

In my experience, archery only payed a part for one or two turns. Either I was still out of range to shoot, and soon after I was in range to use my throwing spears, rendering the bows obsolete.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
I should have found a place to sit, shoot for a while, and then move in taking whatever bonus pot-shots I could.

This. RoR have the speed to make this work.

I played with the new 100% RoR bow rules last Sunday and it's good. With Outriders on foot and Warriors with Throwing spears added to the mix you chuck a lot of shots at the enemy. It wasn't so great against my mate's Goblin horde as you need a 6 to kill a 5-point Goblin with a shield, but against a more elite army each roll of 6 to wound hurts a lot more. The shot that will kill a shielded Goblin will also kill a Black Guard, Uruk Berserker or Morgul Knight.

I like my RoR. Cavalry struggle against infantry behind obstacles and in difficult terrain, but RoR have missile weapons to do a bit of damage from a safe position. They also now get to keep both their bows and shields when dismounted, so remain flexible even if their mount is shot from under them. Their flexibility is their true strength and they don't need to be deadly in combat when Rohan already has arguably the best Human cavalry in the game, the Sons of Eorl.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Great answers everyone, really helps me understand more about what I need to do when I start playing with them.

More insight/answers are welcome! It all helps :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:09 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Given that the Rohirrim are my next project, I'm looking forward to trying these out for myself :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:15 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They don't loose the shield when dismounted any more? That's great news.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:43 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

They still don't gain the defence bonus.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:22 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Haven't returned to my rohan army for a long time now, think they may have to happen when my uruks are finished. From what I see, they should be pretty cool again, lots of bows and even better spears that can throw further than enemies can charge, should make a good combination.
Cavalry forces will never really win in an outright head on result (generally anyway) with rohan you need to soften enemies with missile fire first, and I am finding that even a small element of infantry is useful both for numbers and for holding ground.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Draugluin wrote:
They still don't gain the defence bonus.

Thanks. That would have been nice if they gave that to Rohan. Every little bit helps with a "left behind" force. Damian's post made me think something had changed in this respect too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to imply that there was some exception for them to get a Defence bonus with a shield and bow when dismounted. But..... a dismounted RoR isn't a particularly fearsome foe, so being able to both shoot and shield makes them better than before.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Do you guys think that it is cheap to allow Rohan Riders to have 100% bow capacity on a regular basis? (they all are carrying bows)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They already could still shield. They lost the defensive bonus of the shield when dismounted but could still use the Shielding rule, IIRC.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:19 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

They actually had to drop one or the other in the old rules.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:55 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Draugluin wrote:

Yes. This change gives them a bit more flexibility. Except now I need WoR with both bows and shields to represent unmounted RoR... :(
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

whafrog wrote:
Draugluin wrote:

Yes. This change gives them a bit more flexibility. Except now I need WoR with both bows and shields to represent unmounted RoR... :(

Nothing a few painted Shields and some blue tac can't sort out ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:45 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I've been running a 1000 point all mounted Rohan army recently to see if I could make it work (clue: it's just as tricky as you'd think) and have been having a fair bit of success. I've been playing for the fun of it more than anything as the army just looks AWESOME on the table but I've certainly had more success with it than you might imagine and obviously it maximises the benefits of 100% bow quota.

It's hero heavy (7 I think) and packs in about 35 models all told giving me somewhere in the region of 28 shots per turn. My opponents have said that it's actually very intimidating to play against as you can sit back from your opponent and wait for them to come to you, softening them up with bow fire and then delivering a devastating cavalry charge to the shattered remnants of his army.

In theory.

The reality is that the S2 bows need 6+ to wound far too often, D5 is just far too prevalent across the board. This means that whilst I'm rolling lots of dice, the casualties are often few and far between.

The second thing is the -1 to hit if you move. This is hideous. It's my least favourite of the new rules and it has a massive impact. In SBG you are constantly manoeuvring for the best position which means that after the first few turns, most of your riders will have moved, further reducing their chances of doing damage. I still haven't got over the psychological effect of rolling 4 dice and seeing a 3, a 5 and two 4s come up and thinking "I would've got 3 hits in November"

The 8" throwing spears bonus is nice though, particularly when combined with their S3.

Ultimately, the 100% bows rule helps but the movement modifier and S2 means your can't by any means rely on your archery.

I still believe the all mounted Rohan army works though, it's also oodles of fun to play with so I will struggle on! :-)

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:49 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What heroes are you using? With that low model count and no infantry to act as shielding speed-bumps I'd want some stuff do disrupt my opponent's formation and keep the initiative. Something like Saruman/Gandalf for 'Sorcerous Blast', 'Radagast for 'Panic Steed' and or Gwaihir/Treebeard for 'Hurl'. I'd probably want Legolas as well to snipe shamens etc as the King's Huntsman can't have a horse and you'd want to maintain the mounted theme.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

All good ideas but it's exclusively Rohan. I'm not disputing the logic of what you're saying but it's a fluff army first representing the Ride of the Rohirrim at the Pelennor. I've been running Eomer, Knight of the Pelennor, Theoden, Erkenbrand, Eowyn, Gamling with the Royal Standard and a captain.

The 7th hero is a King's Huntsman, my one concession, however this was purely because I had 50 points spare and no more mounted models! If I can ever face painting another Rohan horse I'll probably replace him with 4 more riders. That said he's frequently brilliant for me in games and it'll be hard to drop him!

As I've said the army was taken for fun/looks rather than competitiveness but I've been surprised by how well it works, particularly on a 6x4 board where you can use the extra space to flank your opponent. God damn I wish Eomer was F6 though....

Incidentally this was the army I was gonna get you to try at the club the other day! :-)

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Ha ha, yeah it was touch and go with all the snow that day. I don't blame you for not coming at all, I didn't envy Tom his drive back!

Fluff is one of the best reasons to pick an army and I would have really liked a go with all that cav. I ended up playing Tom with my Muster of Rohan themed force that had Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli in.

I played like a total moron, so you really didn't lose out by not having me help to playtest your list, I really wasn't on it that day. I forgot 'Heroic Strike' until after Aragorn and Legolas had been killed by enraged Bat Swarms and Gimli had been rended by a Cave Troll. Duh.