All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:27 am

Post subject: Agandaur/War in the north profiles:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm a big fan of war in the north, so i figured i'd make a profile for the villain; Agandaur! Let me know what you guys think.

M F S D A W C M/W/F
6" 6 4 6 2 3 5 2 4 3

Wargear: Agandaur is equipped with a 2 handed sword, and lightning.

Special rules:

He's flying now?: At the start of his move phase Agandaur may, at the cost of a will point, announce that he will 'hover' that turn. While Agandaur is hovering he follows all the normal rules for flying, but also deals a strength 1 hit to any enemy model he flies over.

His power is the dark lords: Sauron, or any ringwraith in the same army as agandaur, may use Agandaur's M/W/F as if it were their own, and vice versa.

Endless power: Every time Agandaur, causes a wound on an enemy, he may regenerate a lost will point. Agandaur can also use his will to boost any roll made as if it were a point of might. Agandaur can never end a turn with more than 4 will.

Imbue troll: Once per game, at the cost of 2 will, Agandaur can target a friendly troll model, the target troll gains an additional +1 fight skill and may re-roll any scores of 1 to wound. for the rest of the game. The will used to cast this CANNOT be regenerated by his 'Endless power' rule, his stock of will permanently goes down to 2 after using this power. If the targeted troll slays an enemy, Agandaur will regain a lost will point.

Spells:

Lightning (casts on a 5+): Target enemy model within 12" suffers a single strength 5 hit, an additional D6 enemy models(all of whom must be within 3" of another targeted model) also suffer strength 3 hits.
Chaneled version: All hits become strength 6, and you can add +2 to your roll to see how many models are hit.

Bolt (casts on a 3+): This acts as a strength 4 throwing weapon with a range of 8 inches.
Channeled version: The initial hit becomes a strength 5 hit, and wounds done become d3 wounds.

Last edited by SuicidalMarsbar on Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: Agandaur profile?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:48 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wow you sure put some thought into that, I really like the flavour you added to him with his personal rules, good job! He seems a bit overpowered though...? I suppose playtesting would determine if that's the case!

I've recently been toying with the idea of converting models to represent Farin, Eradan and Andriel and to give them profiles, your work with this profile is pushing me even more towards it :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:15 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I like it, though the lightning rule I think should function similar to Natures wrath or Scorcerers Blast I reckon. Would love to see someone sculpt this (mentioned this on another post) and I reckon they should and maybe some new heroes like Eradan for another named ranger captain or something. Also like Matt said, he seems a little overpowered costing the same as a wraith but more special rules and better stats (mostly).
Really good though, great job.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

The Lightning rule shouldn't be a close comabt rule, should be magic. And it should be a 5+ minimum, maybe even a 6.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree in that term, Agandaur lightning should be magic
And I dunno about 120pts, he seems kinda 2 good for the cost, he is according to the game, the greatest sauron´s weapon of the north, so I think he should be at least 160pts

And if he gets 1 will per wound he causes, maybe you should change this a little, since better use lightning as magic and its range, maybe eachtime you roll a 5+ to wound a target he gets +1 wil and it will never stack above his original will amount.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks for all the responses, i have nerfed him slightly, made his 'lightning' attack a spell, given him a secondary spell, and given him the ability to fly (like in the game). I could try Farin, Eradan, and Andriel if you guys would like?

(He also costs 20pts more now :)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:03 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

My thoughts were that E, F and A should have some sort of communal special rule, i.e 'strength of three' or something, which gives them a bonus to fight values and defense, or the ability to heal each other if in base contact! That's just me thinking out loud, don't forget Farin's crossbow though :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Farin, Eradan&Andriel 100pts

All 3 of them have the following statline:

F S D A W C M / W / F
4/4+ 4 4 2 2 4 2 2 2

Wargear:
Farin may have a shield or a two handed weapon.
Eradan wields any hand weapon, and always has a bow (his bow gives him a 3+ shoot value).
Andriel carries a staff of power and a hand weapon.

In addition, the three of them may but the following:

Armour - 10pts for Andriel and Eradan
Heavy Armour - 10pts for only Farin
Crossbow - 10pts for only Farin
Horses - 20pts for only Eradan and Andriel
Beleram- 100pts

Special Rules:
Beleram: If Belaram is purchased for the trio, they mey not lead any soldiers. If the party are equipped with Beleram then, at any point after the second turn, you may roll a dice, on the result of 4+ you may deploy Farin, Andriel, Eradan, and Beleram anywhere on the board. Beleram counts as a giant eagle.

Built for purpose: At a cost of 5pts per statistic, the player controlling Eradan, Andriel, and Farin may place up to 4 additional points of statistics onto each character. In addition to this, each of the heroes may choose 1 of the special rules below to be added onto their profile. Note: Andriel may choose 2 spells, and one ability.

Farin:
Burly

Exploding bolts: Any successful shot made by Farins crossbow will also strike any models within 2" of the original target with a strength 2 hit.

Heroic Rage: This is a heroic action that can be activated at any point in a turn. Roll a d6, the result is how many rage points Farin has. Farin may spend a rage point to increase any dice roll he makes that turn. Whenever Farin causes a successful wound while he has rage points available, roll a dice, on a 4+ he gains another rage point. If Farin ends a turn with any rage points left, he may carry them all over into the next turn at the cost of a single rage point.

Eradan:
Stealth: Eradan cannot be seen by models more than 6" away, and moves through any terrain with no penalty.

Rangers' shot: Eradan may shoot up to times in the shoot phase, and receives no penalty from moving that turn.

Blood of the north: Eradan may increase a single dice roll by 1 per turn, and never counts as being trapped.

Andriel:
Lineage of the first born+a throwing weapon (represents her bolts)

Lore master: Before deployment, Andriel may reduce a single enemy models
will store by 2.

Spells:
Natures Wrath (4+)
Renew (2+)
Call winds(2+)
Cast blinding light(5+)

Warbands:
Eradan, Farin, and Andriel count as their own warband.
 Post subject: Re: Agandaur/War in the north profiles:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:56 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

When I bought War in the North and started playing it, it blew me away! It's one of my favourite video games. And Agandaur quickly became a favourite character of mine (I was thrilled to find him playable in Guardians of Middle-earth).
Thanks so much for sharing this, this is awesome! Kudos!!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Love it! Great work! I still think they need a special rule if all three are nearby but wonderfully done!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Lol wayyyy to imba.
I think this Agandaur guy gives a whole new meaning to the term powerhouse.

This guy in my opinion is worth at least 300-350 points just because of his special rules.
His lightning strike blow is very similar to Sauron's Unstoppable special rule.
Use will as might, recover will with any wound he makes.
And the other one of ringwraiths and Sauron to use his will lol I see combos with ringwraiths rolling 6 dice tranfixes or black darts every turn without expending a single will point
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Agandaur's Imbue Troll seems a bit overpowered to me.
A troll with 6 attacks and 6 wounds that regenerates Agaundaur's Will? A Troll Chieftain together with Agandaur would kill everything with the new monster rules and heroic actions... or am I the only one thinking this?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I wrote the previous post before seeing the edit you made.

Now I really like the lightning spell I think it's beautifully balanced even though I think you should call it chain lightning.

But rest rest are still way to imba. Of course I am not talking for his stats but his special rules.

And there I was thinking that this guy in order to act as an endless bank of will for wraiths and Sauron must find a way to charge asap to the enemy's weakest models like archers four words ''he is flying now''.

P.S. And I haven't mentioned his troll buffing which is like: " I want to though a ballistic missile to my enemy but instead I will through him a nuclear missile''

P.S. 2 Lol Elessar Telcontar you beat me to it :)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:05 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Agree with all the points being made, but if i remove any of them, i will be creating an inaccurate portrayal of his character. Imbue troll, and his basic will, have both been nerfed now.

Although he now seems slightly overcosted imo :/
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
Although he now seems slightly overcosted imo :/

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. LOTR Cost Calculator gives him a cost of 95 points without 4 special rules. Which I think are possibly the best set combined on any hero I've seen bar possibly Sauron.

He's Flying Now = +15, massively useful for objective games, potential destroying an opponents strategy.

Endless Power = +10 at least, using this with Lightning (Lightning only costs one Will and may cause 3 Wounds a turn). Could just stack and stack.

His Power is the Dark Lord's = +5 Similar to the Castellan's rule, not as useful as the others but its not bad.

Imbue Troll = Maybe +10, as your making a Monster (already buffed in new rules) even better, at least their are negatives.

Lightning = At least +25, considering his access to Will is so easy.

Bolt = Maybe +5, not too bad.

I made that 165, but for sheer exploitation of Endless Power and Lightning I'd say 175, at a push.

I do like the profile though, just needs to be balanced. I loved the game aswell, unfortunately it was a bit to short for my liking. :)

OERP
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:04 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey im trying to hire a scultpor to do agandaur as well now
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:33 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I know ukfreddybear has amazing sculpting abilities, you should ask him. A little off topic but did anyone else get stuck in that glitch in Carn Dum? Where you couldn't proceed anymore? Happened to me so I started a new file.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:10 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You could make those 3 heroes a bit better and differ their stat line.
If it was making all would make greatly diferences according to their race, but they are all mighty heroes in their all due respect...

Farin F6/4+ S5 D8 A2 W3 C6 2/2/3
Eradan F7/3+ S4 D5 A3 W2 C7 3/3/3
Andriel F5/3+ S4 D4 A1 W2 C7 2/6/2

they would evently cost way more than 100pts maybe 300pts for the 3 :)
Tell me what you think :)
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:37 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Galanur wrote:
You could make those 3 heroes a bit better and differ their stat line.
If it was making all would make greatly diferences according to their race, but they are all mighty heroes in their all due respect...

Farin F6/4+ S5 D8 A2 W3 C6 2/2/3
Eradan F7/3+ S4 D5 A3 W2 C7 3/3/3
Andriel F5/3+ S4 D4 A1 W2 C7 2/6/2

they would evently cost way more than 100pts maybe 300pts for the 3 :)
Tell me what you think :)

Well, their 'built for purpose' rule states that the player controlling them add an additional 4 points of statistics into their F/S/D/A/W/C M/W/F. This means that, like in the game, you can build each character however you want.

I considered making them each have their own solid profile, but i like the idea of a group of heroes you can really customize. The statlines you suggested are good examples of the standard builds, but perhaps a bit too strong :/
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
I considered making them each have their own solid profile, but i like the idea of a group of heroes you can really customize. The statlines you suggested are good examples of the standard builds, but perhaps a bit too strong :/

I suppose one could argue that they deserve imba profiles seeing as they single-handedly hacked their way through Agandaur's northern armies with hardly any assistance :P However, I really like the customization options you included, SuicidalMarsbar! Really good work! :D