All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:17 am

Post subject: The Mewlips
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I first read the poem "The Mewlips" a while back and hadn't really ever thought much about it, but having only just discovered the claymation video I thought these guys would be fun opponents for Hobbits. As far as the profile goes, they're basically naked goblins with a few special rules for flavor.

Mewlip - 6 points
The mewlips are cruel and pathetic creatures out of the hobbits' past. They inhabit old ruins and tunnels in swamps and forests, and prey on weary and unsuspecting travelers in their lands
F S D A W C
2/4+ 3 3 1 1 3
Wargear. Mewlips don't manufacture their own weapons, but are known to carry an assortment of rocks, bones, sharpened sticks, and looted daggers, and therefore count as being armed with a hand weapon.
Cave Dweller.
Throw Stones.
Stalk Unseen.
In a sack your bones they take to keep.
All hobbits grow up hearing the tale of the Mewlips, and the poem propagates their fear of these creatures. Mewlips cause Terror in hobbits.

Greater Mewlip - 45 points
Even though creatures as base and wicked as the mewlips have no recognized titles or offices, some individuals will rise above the rest through some combination of brutality, cunning, and luck.
F S D A W C - M/W/F
3/4+ 4 4 2 2 3 - 2/1/1
Wargear. Mewlips don't manufacture their own weapons, but are known to carry an assortment of rocks, bones, sharpened sticks, and looted daggers, and therefore count as being armed with a hand weapon.
Scavenged Armor - 5 points*
Scavenged Shield - 5 points*
Cave Dweller.
Throw Stones.
Stalk Unseen.
Strangler.
In a sack your bones they take to keep.
All hobbits grow up hearing the tale of the Mewlips, and the poem propagates their fear of these creatures. Mewlips cause Terror in hobbits.
* Abandoned armor is rare to come by, so only one suit of Scavenged Armor and one Scavanged Shield may be taken in the force, however these may be given to one Greater Mewlip or distributed between two Greater Mewlips.

================================================================================

I remember Gollum having a special rule called "stalker" or "strangler" or something like that. Unfortunately, all of my books are currently inaccessible, and I can't recall what it does. I'm not asking for anyone to tell me, but I will ask if you guys think it would be appropriate, just for the greater mewlip or for all mewlips, and about how much it should increase their point value if added on.

As far as models, I haven't found anything yet, but I'm picturing something pretty much Gollum's size but hairless and with webbed hands and feet, and only carrying very crude weapons if any at all. Dark grey and green skin with red eyes is how I would paint them.

I have some ideas tumbling around for a scenario involving the mewlips, I'll post it if I come up with some more concrete ideas.

Comments, criticism, and ideas welcome!

Last edited by Hirumith, the Grey Knight on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: The Mewlips
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Wow nice work there! What about the new Hobbit Goblins? Surely you could convert some of them to make them look the part? Or do they look too mutated?

Also as far as I can remember the Strangler rule you mentioned gives some sort of benefit when attacking models that are surrounded/up against a wall or similar terrain. I only glanced in the rulebook last week so I could be wrong, but could be an interesting rule regardless?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks!

I thought about using goblins from The Hobbit, I have two problems with them though. First is that they're not quite gangly enough for me, and second is just that they're too recognizable for what they are. It's kind of a silly criteria, but I would also like something with a bit more of a neck. Otherwise I'd probably convert some.

Maybe I'll tack strangler on, and charge them 1 point for it? I guess that would make it 5 points for the greater mewlip.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:05 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yeah or just give the greater mewlip the rule for 5pts? Idk if it could lead to the lesser mewlips being a bit overpowered, especially if you're playing in a cave setting. Oh, I don't know! I suppose it would need playtesting, or maybe someone else with more experience than me has an opinion?

Edit: and yeah, i understand what you mean about those new goblins. I suppose maybe you could try hacking some up, greenstuffing longer necks, filing away the boils, etc?