All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:15 am

Post subject: New rules for the fellowship.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok so, it really bugs me that the warbands rules have turned the fellowship into an introverted army, i can no longer field gandalf leading the men of minas tirith, nor can i field Legolas or Gimli leading fiefdom warriors, nor can i field Aragorn leading men of Rohan, even though Theoden himself claims that it was he who led the Rohirrim to victory, not Theoden. My suggestion to fix this is the following:

Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli may each lead a warband from either the Rohan, Minas Tirith, or Fiefdoms army list, while Gandalf the white may lead a warband from the Rohan or Minas Tirith army list.

I also think that Rohan Merry and Gondor Pippin should not be individual heroes (maybe count them as wargear for Gandalf/Eowyn but not individual heroes, makes no sense.

Just because i feel like the good team is very under-powered, i also reckon that, get ready for this, it's nuts:

Every good army should be allowed 1 warband that is led by any hero leading any mixture of troops. This would mean that taking Saruman as an ally is no longer a waste of points on heroes who can't lead troops, but also means that you can't take all three wizards leading troops, so the balance is nice.

Anyway what do you guys think to both suggestions?
 Post subject: Re: New rules for the fellowship.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:46 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I know what you mean. Gandalf not being able to lead a warband as he defends minas tirith?

I agree that the fellowship should be treated a little differently. Even if it was just Gandalf and Aragorn that could lead other good warbands I'd be happy.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:48 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Good to know someone agrees, i include Legolas and Gimli simply for the sake that if you want to do a large scale re-enactment of Helms Deep, I know that i would want Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn leading some of the troops over generic captains.

Also if you want to field a thematic army of the dead, you only have 1 hero to lead them (the king), it only makes sense that Aragorn (and the other two imo) should be capable of leading warriors of the dead.

Perhaps if the rest of the fellowship had the option to still count as warriors within a warband. For example, Gandalf could lead 11 WoMT and Pippin, while Aragorn could lead 10 WotD and Legolas and Gimli?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
Of course, if you were to have a friendly local game or have some kind words with a tournament master on an independent gaming day you might still be allowed to have Gandalf leading Minas Tirith warriors, but Games Workshop have nerfed this one right up for their own games and as said above it doesn't sit right with the films and the story.

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:22 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Quote:
I know that i would want Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn leading some of the troops over generic captains.

But that's the problem. If you could have Legolas or Gimil leading Rohan warbands they'd very quickly become a default option. Everyone's Rohan army would look like Helm's Deep.
Furthermore, Legolas and Gimli didn't lead the troops at Helms Deep or the Pelennor, they were following Aragorn and having their own little competition.

Aragorn leading The Dead and Gandalf the White leading Minas Tirith is fine, I think, but not Legolas and Gimli as captains of Rohan or the Fiefdoms. There should be a Captian of the Dead profile though.

Quote:
Ok so, it really bugs me that the warbands rules have turned the fellowship into an introverted army

I think that first the Warbands rules (more heroes on the table, new deployment rules for points matches) then The Hobbit SBG ruleset (more heroic actions, shooting nerf, channelled spells, The Ring) has made The Fellowship into a more viable list for points match games. This is only right and proper, you should be able to play a game set in Middle Earth using one of the most iconic groups of heroes and have a crack at winning.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:36 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Gandalf and Aragorn should be added to the Rohan and Gondor lists if they're not in there already.

Gandalf, because he actually led men of Rohan at Helm's Deep, and men of Gondor in the Siege of Minas Tirith, and both at the Black Gate.

Aragorn (the pre - Return of the King profiles), because he also led men of Rohan at Helm's Deep, and men of both countries at the Black Gate. He also enlisted or otherwise served as a Captain in Gondor's army (under the Alias Thorongil), during the years when he was travelling throughout Middle Earth. He led an attack on Umbar to burn the Corsair fleets IIRC.

Legolas and Gimli should not be added to the Rohan and Gondor lists, because they didn't really lead anyone. Legolas did lead some Galadhrim elves at Helm's Deep though (at least in the movie).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I thought of something like these a while ago. I always find it totally ridiculous that Gandalf and strider can't lead Gondor or rohan.
Also, I reckon Aragorn should be able to lead the Army of the Dead...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If they are at the battle, and they are heroes, in my eyes atleast, they should be able to 'lead' the troops. If every Rohan army starts looking like Helms Deep, then so be it, there is nothing un-thematic about fielding Gimli and Legolas amongst Rohan warriors, as they fought alongside them more than once, and it would help out the most under-powered army in the game.

Another thing i'd like to say is that, right now, all Rohan armies nowadays look like this:

Erkenbrand
Riders

Grimbold
Helmingas

Eomer/Eowyn
Riders/Soldiers

and that is it. There are plenty of evil heroes in the game who are never seen necessarily leading soldiers, yet get to act as a captain in the army anyway, like Saruman, so i don't see why two people we actually see fighting alongside these soldiers don't get to lead them :(

P.S: I don't have any emotional attachment to the two or anything, but why can't Legolas and Gimli lead models from the Grey company?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SuicidalMarsbar wrote:
I don't have any emotional attachment to the two or anything, but why can't Legolas and Gimli lead models from the Grey company?

The Grey Company were all mounted then (all RotNs), and so all heroes, so there is no need for them to lead troops, although it would be useful
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

From what i understand, L&G fought alongside the GC in the books. From a rule spoint of view it also makes sense because of Aragorn, Isildur's heir's special rule that buffs the two of them.