All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:12 am

Post subject: Gondor 500 pts army SBG
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:29 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I'm hosting an upcoming tournament and I't like to field my army of Gondor [500 pts max], but I'm having troubles deciding on what to use. So far I've selected:
King of the Dead 100 pts
Warrior of the dead (x10) 160pts (mix of shields, spears, swords)
Battle Cry Trebuchet 110 pts

I have around 120 mixed warriors of Minas Tirith (spears, shields, bows mix), 6 knights of Minas Tirith, 6 knights of Dol Amroth, 6 Riders of Rohan, Prince Imrahil, Aragorn (back gate version), 9 Captains of Dol Amroth, 3 Captains of Minas Tirith, and 1 banner carrier in my remaining pool of forces to choose from (I'd rather not purchase any more units). My foes consist of Isengard, Mordor, and Goblins. I dont know for sure what they will be using, but theres a good chance that I will see 2 Nazgul, a War Mummak, and various trolls throughout the tournament. Despite my large army size I am relatively knew to the game so any and all suggestions are welcom.
 Post subject: Re: Gondor 500 pts army SBG
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:07 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Your army needs numbers. It's all well and good having Warriors of the Dead, but you'll get outnumbered 2 or 3 to one, and easily killed. Use lots of warriors of Minas Tirith, with Captains to lead them. Aragorn and Imrahil are too expensive for a 500 point game. I'd recommend looking into getting a Beregond model, he's a solid fighter and costs very few points.

Maybe remove the Trebuchet, and replace it with more troops too. I don't use them though, so I don't really know how good they are.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:22 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I've never used the trebuchet in combat before either, however the board we are using doesnt have terrain on it (basically it provides me with 72 inches x 24 inches of open battle ground for my Arty to bombard incoming soldiers. Maybe I'm incorrect in justifying whether or not this is an appropriate strategy, but hopefully someone could shed some light on that.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You should always use terrain. If you really can't find or make any, wash some stones from your drive or around somewhere an use them as barriers and hard terrain.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You'd need another hero to warband that trebuchet. Also, no posting points values for single models around these here parts ;)

As for the army itself, as others have said I'd recommend removing it altogether. With the new deployment rules you may not be able to get even more than one turn of firing, if that.
Either way you definitely need more troops.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:04 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

alright so from the sounds of it I should A) get terrain and B) focus primarily on numbers, rather than a few stronger soldiers backed by arty. So how does the following groupings of warbands sound?

Warband #1
CoMT w/ sheild 55 pts
6 WoMT w/ shield and spear 54 pts
6 WoMT w/ Shield 48 pts

Warband #2
CoMT 50 pts
8 WoMT w/ Bow 64 pts
4 WoMT w/ shield 32 pts

Warband #3
KoDA 55 pts
4 WoMT w/ shield 32 pts
6 Dead Warriors w/ shield 96 pts
1 Dead Warrior 15 pts

Grand total of 501 pts, which is within out 5 pt buffer allowance, and gives me 38 units total. Or should I drop the Dead Warriors entirely? and instead substitute 13ish more WoMT?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:06 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

actually it would be more like 8 more WoMT in a fourth warband with another Captain to lead**
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You can't mix fiefdoms and gondor in one warband.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:05 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Do the Dead get any benefit or anything from shields? Is shields even an option? Last I checked, they had no special wargear at all, because they were ghosts and everything. As LordElrond says, WoMT can't be in a Fiefdoms warband, so swap those four men for another couple of Dead warriors.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:08 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

that's odd, the gamesworkshop employee's told me anyone in the kingdoms of men book could field a warband consisting of anyone in the kingdoms of men book, has there been a rule change or are they just plain incorrect?

Dead warriors have the option of shields, adds +1 D for 1 pt extra according to the KoM book
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:57 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Never trust a GW squaddie with the rules of LotR. My 9 year old sister knows the rules better than them. They will say anything if you are interested in buying something.
Goldman is correct, only heroes from each list can lead their respective warriors. So you cant have Aragorn leading Rohan, Legolas leading AotD etc. It is all explained quite clearly in the sourcebook.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:14 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Goldman25 wrote:
Do the Dead get any benefit or anything from shields? Is shields even an option? Last I checked, they had no special wargear at all, because they were ghosts and everything.

They can get certain stuff now. It was in the old rules where they couldn't get any extra wargear.
Check in the Kingdoms of Men sourcebook.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:15 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Alright haha, damn capitalists! :P thanks everyone for the advice though, it's shed a lot of light on my situation!