All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:54 am

Post subject: Heroic Action Analysis
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:06 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So especially with the new heroic actions, which ones do you find yourself using the most and feel are the best, and which do you feel could be a bit better? I want to devote this post to talking about tactics :)

Personally I feel heroic movement is (and was before the Hobbit too) the best heroic action available. The ability to dictate the charge order is so incredibly important, especially with cavalry, trapping models, and throwing weapons. Most of the time for my matches priority doesn't even matter, whoever wins the tie for Heroic Move is the important roll!

Heroic strike is good too, but also often times I see both heroes use it and then it becomes a very random roll off to who will win. Also on heroes like the dragon, heroic strike becomes a liability because its easy for a hero with fight of 4 or 5 to beat 7 when they roll for the strike. And since he only has 3 might he can quickly run out. But then again the dragon is a joke :rofl:

Heroic march I feel like isn't as good as some people initially thought it would be, considering the short distances that players have to span in the new edition, as well as the fact that you can't charge!

Heroic shooting is still pretty much useless, heroic accuracy could be useful but it depends on the situation. Being able to snipe some spearmen would be good but really bowmen don't kill consistently enough, in my opinion, to merit the use of a might point for one turn of re-rolling.

Heroic channeling is good, but I've only used it for fury lol.

Heroic combat is one I haven't used too much since goblin heroes don't tend to be killing machines haha. Though I do need to experiment more with it.

What are your opinions everyone!
 Post subject: Re: Heroic Action Analysis
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:14 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Heroic strike may boil down to a roll-off between two heroes, but it's much more reliable against most monsters as they have no might. Sometimes you do get unlucky though, I have had Eomer roll a '1' for his strike and tie his fight value with the troll he was facing........

Heroic accuracy is highly situational, but a welcome addition for some armies. I like it for my Rohan army as I have no spears, so I'd really like to kill my opponent's spearmen. I can put a lot of bows and throwing spears on the table combined with cheap might from Eowyn or replenishable might from The Kings Huntsman. At higher points values free might from Aragorn or Eorl the Young can also be used.

Heroic March doesn't have to be towards the enemy, if you want to kite away from someone it may be worth burning a might point if it will buy you an extra turn.
You may also need to go sideways to head off anyone trying to escape down the sides of the table in 'Reconnoitre', especially if you've taken a compact, slow, but might-heavy army like Thorin's Company.

http://s10.zetaboards.com/The_Titans/index/
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Heroic march is also good on the high ground to get there first or to reduce the amount of turns your opponent has to shoot.
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I have been using all heroic action since their introduction except heroic shooting/accuracy. I think their are not worth the point of might. I don't know how one could improve them though.
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:31 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Most of our use is limited to heroic moves and combat, plus channelled Fury. The others rarely come up, but I'm glad they exist.

Manadar wrote:
I have been using all heroic action since their introduction except heroic shooting/accuracy. I think their are not worth the point of might. I don't know how one could improve them though.

I think heroic accuracy would be more useful if you could reroll failed to-hit rolls as well as ITWs...or you could pick either to-hits or ITW for that action.
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I play my friends elves mostly so heroic strike has been great for me, but heroic march is the only other new one I've really used. I barely ever used heroic shooting before and I can only see accuracy useful against a mumak commander.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:26 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Heroic Combat and Heroic Movement are standard in every game.

Never used Heroic Shot before, but I can imagine that it is handy in a shootmatch when you have low D archers.

Heroic March sounds really good but I keep forgetting about it :(

Heroic Strike is standard for every Hero vs Hero battle.

I've used Heroic Accurancy in almost every game since the new rules came out. Ofcourse all these games I had 12 Galadhrim Archers with Legolas making it the most deadly shot you've ever seen :D

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:39 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

In our very first Hobbit game with the new rules my troll faced two heroic actions. I forget if it was Heroic Shoot or Accuracy but that ended up causing a wound. The Heroic Strike ensured his generic captain slew my troll afterwards.

Anecdotal and all that, but it was still interesting/devestating to see the new rules. Glad they all exist, even if Heroic Moves, Fights, and now Strikes will be the most used. The others are always there in the Batman Utility Belt.