All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:38 am

Post subject: all uruk hai captains points = cost wise
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:44 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I took some conclusions about which captains are best to take thinking of effectiveness + cost and I came to this conclusions.

Uruk hai captain base, normal profile of 5 per gear armour 10

Lurtz comes with upgrades of +10pts the model with:
- shield
- bow
- extra might

Comparing to a normal captain, if he was upgraded with same statline, Lurtz is cheaper by 5pts for the extra might, which actually its quite decent so I think its not a must to include, but rather a benefit saving you 5pts and offering you 1+ might. The only downside that will dump this, is that he got only defence 5 with a shield upgrade and just getting the shield defencive option in most cases is not the best choice.

Ugluk comes with upgrades of +10pts with:
- whip
- special rally rule

Comparing to normal captain is not that accurace since neither can be compared on something the other can´t have the option to get (like extra might and special rule)
The special rule is nice but its situational since ugluk with defence 5 is rather limited to survivability to make it through to see the point of his rule to get any benefit, the rule however is awesome but it will sacrifice a model which rather not paying the rule by itself, you will have to use orcs for sacrificial purpose which already giving it a way higher point cost than what your paying already for it. Fluffy wise yes but not that good. The only nice thing of him might be the ever extra might he can bump but of all Uruk captains he will be the last option to be seen around.

Mauhur comes with upgrades of +10pts with:
- +1A
- special rule
- movement

This guy comparing to a normal captain he pays off his cost just right, paying already for 1+A and +movement its decent and the special rule is a paying option so dont necessarly benefit or make him worst, but rather give you the choice to upgrade uruk scouts for that. Its a good heroe and will be seen alot just cause its the only infantry size model type of saruman´s forces with 3A base.

Vrasku comes with upgrades of +10pts with:
- crossbow
- extra might
- better shooting
- special rule

Of all Uruk captains, this guy is a steal, certaintly the most worthwhile cost captain of all uruk hai´s, hes not only paying 10pts for having crossbow and +1 extra might, but he also getting a free better shooting value and the rule to allow him to shoot twice in the shooting phase. 1 Captain with equivalent gear would cost 5pts less and would only get 1/4 of its potencial.

so in order of captains that are the most used would be in my opinion:

1- Mauhur (just for 3A in most cases)
2- Vrasku (the cheaper of all in comparison)
3- Regular Uruk Hai Captain (ahead of lurtz cause he gans defence 6 paying off his 5pts better)
4- Lurtz (slightly cheaper than a captain with extra gear but gain no defence 6)
5- Ugluk (the less likely to see around cause your paying for rules which will be payed even further by sacrifice)

What you guys think? Share same thoughts? plz comment :)

Last edited by Galanur on Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: all uruk hai captains points = cost wise
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:44 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You can't post point values..
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:07 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Mahur only has X might.

Edit: you can't post profile values. Mauhur has the same Might as a normal captain.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

You forgot Mauhur's extra movement...which is fine, my opponent forgets it often too :D

When playing Isengard I mostly go Mauhur + Vrasku + Orc Captains. When I don't want a hero to fight I want him to be as cheap as possible, so that makes Orc Captains more suitable than Uruk Captains.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:31 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I only take captains for only for fight, but also for survivability... least in my games im almost certaint im gonna get stuck in combat and S4 units dont deal so well with D7 beastly guys as easy as D5/6. Also got courage a bit higher which is always nice, hes by far the best captain equivalent cost model of all.
And ues forgot some mauhur stuff, didn´t recall that he lost his might in expense having more might XD, I dont hve 1 so I dont play with him, atm my top choices goes for lurtz and captains since I need the others :P
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would put ugluk higher than that, the extra might is handy, he has got gear (a whip), and if you come up against someone with spooky galadriel or other such anti courage lists ugluks rule is much incredible.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:45 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It's a really subjective decision, particularly with Mauhur, it basically comes down to whether you prefer 3 Might or 3 Attacks. Personally I'm a Might kinda guy. I've played with Isengard loads over the last year or so and my order of preference would be:

Vrasku

A normal captain with D7 to be your leader

Lurtz

Ugluk

Mauhur

However, you also have to consider the synergy with your other characters, as such, building up from a 200 point, 1 warband army, these would be my Isengard characters:

Vrasku

Armoured shaman

A normal captain with D7 to be your leader

Sharky and Worm

Lurtz

Saruman and Grima. These would replace both Sharky and Worm and the D7 captain. Basically, as soon as you can afford to put Saruman in (700 point minimum) then you drop the normal captain as S becomes your leader.

Ugluk

A second armoured shaman

Mauhur

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:00 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Interesting topics so far :)

Ty for sharing thoughts
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:47 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dr Grant wrote:

I have to admit I disagree with a bunch of stuff here. But first let's focus on what I agree with :
Vrasku is really good and should be picked in any points battle since he is cheap and gives you access to 3 Might and good shooting.
A normal captain with D7 to be your leader or Sharky and Worm fit really well for 500 points too, alternatively you could use a shaman even though I would prefer more might through a captain.
At 700+, I think Saruman (with Grima or not) is mandatory. Behind the lines he will be well protected and it won't alter his efficiency. You won't lose him easily.
Howerer, here is where I diverge :
Lurtz and Ugluk seems a bit subpar to me. I enjoyed Ugluk special rule till I actually played him. Through 3 tournaments (500 each), I have never use his rules. Either I wasn't under 50% (quite often) or it wasn't worthwhile. As for Lurtz he won't be in your "shooting" warband as you'll pick Vrasku 8) Thus you will not be able to use bow that often, he will use his full mouvement. If you use Lurtz or Ugluk to be your leader, a D7 captain or a magician is better to protect those "victory points". And if you want a damage dealer, Mauhur is incredible.
Dr Grant, I think Mauhur is amazing. He can deal with many under 100pts hero easily and even more if you play Sharkey/Saruman according to the format. With his 8" mvt he can sneak behind the lines and target spears and bowmen who either will be low armoured (4+ to wound) or heavily (5+ top). Enjoy charging them two at a time he grinds them so fast... I always play some marauders with shield (to protect them from bow damage and/or to shield with them to keep an objective as long as possible). Their manoeuvrability is very valuable as soon as there are objectives to capture. That's why I think Mauhur is that good and one should pick him.

Let's hope my english isn't too bad to be understandable, it has been difficult to translate ideas sometimes :D