All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:06 am

Post subject: Custom Profiles
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:27 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I had just busted out the old Third Age, and War in the North games. And I really want to make profiles for Berethor, Hadhod, Idriel, Elegost, Morwin, Eoden (all from 3rd age) and Eradan, Farin, Andriel, and Beleram (War in the North).

Obviously I can't just go by the games because Berethor would have 10 attacks lol.

Any help would be appreciated

MiniWargaming
 Post subject: Re: Custom Profiles
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

All those names sound like a Happy Shopper version of Lord of the Rings! (Happy Shopper manufactures cheap alternatives to popular named brands, such as their originally titled "Happy Shopper Cola".)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:46 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Loved those games. Very atmospheric. Quite enjoyed Aragorns Quest too.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Here are the profiles I made for those dudes a while back, people seemed to dig them:

http://www.one-ring.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25076&p=310837&hilit=war+in+the+north+agandaur#p310837
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:42 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Get your models for them all set out, and do a Battle-Companies type thing. Have them start out as generic profiles, and develop those profiles by "levelling-up" ie. using them often.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:05 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I hadn't played either of these so I watched some youtube vids on War in the North.. looks like fun.

SuicidalMarsbars profiles look ok. Goldmans suggestion is not bad either. Im doing my own profiles at the moment and this is the approach I am taking. Either way, I would just give them 1 maybe 2 special abilities or special strikes. In try to make my own profiles I was making them on par with decent heroes but their special abilities made it way too over the top, so keeping them lower on attacks and MWF makes them more balanced.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:11 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If you're still looking for inspiration, here's what I did for the Third Age cast of characters:

Hirumith's House Rules

They start part way through the first post. My aim for them was to have them fit somewhere between a simple named captain model and some of the truly mighty heroes like Aragorn or Elrond, so the majority are in the 80-100 point range. I also tried to use the handful of occasions in the game when a member of the fellowship fought as an ally as reference points. Since the Fellowship members were significantly stronger than my charcters, I felt that none should surpass them in combat effectiveness on the table (although some are close to as good as Legolas and Gimli, or may be better on the whole due to supporting abilities).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:12 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Bilbo wrote:
All those names sound like a Happy Shopper version of Lord of the Rings! (Happy Shopper manufactures cheap alternatives to popular named brands, such as their originally titled "Happy Shopper Cola".)

How are those cheap alternatives? Hadhod is elvish for dwarf and Morwen is an actual name from Silmarillion.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:41 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

They are indeed pukka Tolkien names but, many of them are very close to the more popularly known characters featured in the films that the average non Tolkien fan will recognise, and putting together a group sounding a bit like the recognised characters (who are now licensed intellectual property, and products) reminds me of the manner in which cheaper brands appear.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:22 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

They are licensed games, they aren't cheap brands.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Not suggesting that.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:11 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It is irrelevant what the names are. Why are you debating this? The pair of you are derailing what is a good thread and turning it into another arguement so keep it on topic from now on please.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:18 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on Hirumiths profile for Hadhod of the Clan of Fundin. The way I read it is a +2 to wound when using the blade 2 handed - though I could be wrong. Hirumith might be able to clarify if it is this. I'm looking at using this for a warrior profile I'm making, who may have the option of strength 5, so wanting to know if its too much. This warrior would be balanced by other profiles with higher attacks, FV and other special rules of their own.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:33 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It was a looooong time ago that I wrote those profiles, but I think my intention for his Dwarven Axe was that it is +1 to wound if he uses it as a one-handed weapon, or +2 to wound if he uses it as a two-handed weapon. The way I have it written, I'm not sure how else it could be interpreted.

In my personal opinion, that would indeed be overpowered on a Strength 5 model, who is already wounding many opponents on a 4+ (or a potential 2+, at that point). Frankly, I think it's sort of pushing it anyways, except that two-handed weapons are rarely useful on heroes IMO so I wanted to add incentive to take that gamble.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:08 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Thanks for all the ideas. Here's my profiles so far (obviously not far along). Comments and Critiques welcome.

Berethor

F S D A W C M/W/F
5/- 4 7 3 3 5 3/2/3

Wargear:
Berethor carries a shield and wears heavy armor.

Special Rules:
New-found Courage- Berethor never needs test his courage when charging a terrifying enemy. In addition he is immune to all attacks that strike against courage rather than defense.

Resistant to Magic

Inspiring Leader- Berethor counts as having cast Aura of Command (there is no need to test)

Andriel
F S D A W C M/W/F
5/- 3 5 1 3 6 2/4*/2

Wargear
Andriel wears heavy armor

Special Rules
Resistant to Magic

Lineage of the Firstborn- Andriel can expend one point of will per turn without reducing her store.

Magical Powers
Imobilise 3+
Renew 3+
Natures Wrath 4+

Hadhod

F S D A W C M/W/F
6/4+ 5 8 2 3 6 2/2/2

Wargear
Hadhod wields the Hammer of Hammerhand (2-h Hammer) and wears heavy dwarf armor

Hammer of Hammerhand- This two handed hammer is exceptionally crafted, Hadhod re-rolls all rolls of 1 to wound

Special Rules
Burly

Elegost

F S D A W C M/W/F
5/3+ 4 5 2 2 5 2/2/3

Wargear
Elegost carries a Longbow and wears armor

Special Rules:
Expert Shot- Elegost may fire twice in the shoot-phase

Liniage of Arnor- Each turn, before the shoot phase, roll a d6, on a 5+ Elegost may expend a single point of might to modify his to hit or to wound roll, without depleting his might store.

Eoden

F S D A W C M/W/F
5/- 4 6 3 2 5 2/3/2

Wargear
Eoden wears armor, and carries a shield and spear.

Special Rules

Royal Guard of Rohan- Eoden may support another model using his spear but he contributes two attacks to the fight rather than one.

Bodyguard

Morwen

F S D A W C M/W/F
4/- 4 4 3 2 4 1/1/3

Wargear
Morwen wears armor and carries twin-axes

Special Rules
Shield-maiden of Rohan- When Morwen strikes she recieves +1 to wound exactly as if she were using a two-handed weapon. She is never considered un-armed

Twin-Axes- Any attack that would normally cause Morwen to become "unarmed" (such as the Gundabad Blackshield Shaman's spell) simply reduces her number of attacks by 1 (to a minimum of 1)

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

To me it always seemed that Elegost was sort of a 'support' character, with his signature moves being the ability to stun/slow/put people to sleep. Perhaps give him a rule where anyone who he shoots count as immobilized for a turn. Maybe even let him shoot in the move phase to represent his high 'speed' stat in the game.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:53 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nice work! They are quite powerful, compared to how I personally would rank these characters. Nothing wrong with that, necessarily, but to me these profiles definitely represent "end-game" stats for these characters.

A few comments/criticisms, take with a grain of salt and incorporate whatever you like, and of course feel free to ignore:

Berethor
Profile looks pretty appropriate to me, although why not 3 Will?

New-found Courage - I personally don't like immunity to attacks from a certain group of models - it creates a scenario in which he could, feasibly, be unbeatable. I would change this to "Berethor ignores special rules that treat an model's Courage as Defense, and instead uses his Defense characteristic as normal when being attacked by such models."

Resistant to magic doesn't seem overpowered, but it does seem odd given how few models get that ability. Why would Berethor deserve it over most other characters?

Andriel (thought her name was Idrial?)
Seems perfect, although once again not sure about Resistant to Magic? It's been a while since I played the game, but I don't remember any of the characters particularly deserving this ability.

Hadhod
Strength 5, a two-handed weapon, and Burly seems like a bit much to me. I also think GW has gone a bit overboard with applying the "Burly" special rule, though, so that's in part just a pet peeve of mine.

Elegost
I like the Lineage of Arnor rule a lot! Nothing else to say here, good job. I do like Suicidalmarsbar's idea of him being able to shoot out-of-turn, though. Maybe the ability to call a heroic shot at the beginning of any phase, not just the shooting phase?

Not much to add for either Eoden or Morwen, I think both look good!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:01 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Thanks for the feedback!
@Hirumith, the Grey Knight- you are correct on it being Idrial, idk where the heck Andriel came from lol.
For Berethor I gave him resistance to magic as the "Fear" spell and a few others he was immune to in the Third Age game.

Idrial I gave Resistant to magic because of her full immunity spell that she could cast I believe it was called "Valinor Endurance" if memory serves me correctly

I gave Hadhod the Burly special rule because he has a unique weapon and I just didn't want to spend all the time typing out that he doesn't get the -1 to win the fight (like Dain Ironfoot or Gimli). The strength 5 is just because he is the heaviest hitter in the game so I wanted to distinguish him from his companions in that way. He does however only have 2 attacks as compared to all the other CQC members of the party. Perhaps I should remove the re-roll 1's and Burly and just have his hammer give him the +1 strength (to 5).

I do like the Elegost suggestion for his heroic shoot, should this replace his shooting twice per turn? Or be an additional option if Lineage of Arnor's 5+ condition is met?

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:59 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Why is Hadhod's axe poisoned? I think that's the part you should cut, leave the Burly as it gives your profile a "Squeaky new" quality to it and reflects the Hobbit flavour.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:01 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Why is Hadhod's axe poisoned? I think that's the part you should cut, leave the Burly as it gives your profile a "Squeaky new" quality to it and reflects the Hobbit flavour.

I didn't intend for the hammer to be viewed as poisened I was thinking more alon g the lines of Gloin who has a similar special. And I just wanted something for that hammer as its the only "legendary/special" weapon in the game

MiniWargaming