All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 8:20 am

Post subject: [House Rules] Weather rules
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi One-Ringers!

I know many people have tried to make rules to represent the effect the weather can have on a battle. Often, they seemed unrealistic to me. I have therefore worked on my own set of rules now for quite some time (I actually lost track how long). They form a small part of a large Fan Supplement on Map Campaigns I've been writing for even longer. Therefore, some things I say in the rules might not make much sense to you.. yet!

I now wish to present these rules anyway, separately from my campaign rules (which are nowhere near finished), because I think players might enjoy using these rules in their normal battles too.

I would like to stress that I tried to make these rules as realistic as possible. I'm always after more realism, if possible, and this was one of the ways for me. Many people who are more interested in balance will see that these will affect some armies more than others, but this is only natural. I thus suggest to only use these rules if you like to have a fun friendly game. I suggest in some cases you might need to rebalance things a bit. So, for example, set 500 points of Haradrim (used to the heat) against 700 points of Gondorians (not used to the heat). These rules are made to give a new interesting experience. To me, balance is less important than fun.
I reckon these are not very well suited for tournament games.

Furthermore, these rules I often use in combination with other House Rules, such as +1S for archer within half range. Some rules might be a bit too much to peoples liking, and therefore I advice anyone who wants to play with them to tweak them for themselves such that it better to their taste.

Anyway, you can download the pdf file in the link below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnsg8y1l3r7r6 ... dit%29.pdf
(EDIT: the link works now)

Note that some of the terms used are underlined and in dark blue. These are hyperlinks to the relevant parts of the file (so, for example, Mist links to the rules for Mist).

Any feedback would be much appreciated. :) Also, what do you think about the layout? This is a bit of a test layout for my campaign rules. I quite like the background, though it's a bit simple. I intend to use two columns in the campaign rules though.

I would also like to thank Coenus Scaldingus from this site for all his help, his great ideas for these rules and for playtesting some of them. It's much appreciated!

Cheers,
Koen

Last edited by Fëanor, the mighty elf on Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: [House Rules] Weather rules
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Sorry, I can't seem to find the link. It just says "invalid link"

Any possible solution? :-/

It sort of then became a Hobbit
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:06 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ah, thanks for pointing it out! I copied it from my post on TLA and it didn't copy the link properly.

Here's the working link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cnsg8y1l3r7r6 ... dit%29.pdf
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:08 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I really like the idea, I havent read all they way through yet just skimmed it, but I'll give some input later. For now I must know what this model is (what game is it from etc) I LOVE it and must have 1 for my Haradrim army lol

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:11 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Perry miniatures:
http://www.perry-miniatures.com/product ... ts_id=2126
Lovely indeed!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Cheers Harfoot! And indeed, as Coenus pointed out, the model is from that set. ;)
The one on his right is from this set: http://www.perry-miniatures.com/product ... ts_id=2116 (although not pictured there), and the one to his right is from the set Coenus mentioned again.
Very characterful models, and they blend in perfectly well with the Haradrim I think! I use them as early Black Numenoreans or as Haradrim Champions (both house ruled too).