All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:41 pm

Post subject: Bow Hero Houserules
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Does anyone have any houserules to make bows more useable on heroes? It seems outside of say Bard and Legolas, bows are terrible on captains and the such. Especially since the bows cost more than on warriors.

Perhaps a heroic action that lets you shoot multiple times? Perhaps just say heroes get a number of shots with a bow equal to their attack stat? These houserules may make Bard or Legolas OP, but it'd make Duinhir, the King's Huntsman, or even a Moria Goblin Captain with a bow a model you'd actually want to take :rofl:

Since we had some good talks about hand weapon rules, I'd like to start a thread on Bow houserules, at least for heroes.
 Post subject: Re: Bow Hero Houserules
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:57 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It works how it is quite well so I don't think you will find much better rules. This is for 2 reasons.
1. Heroes can use might to kill stuff
2. Heroes (which includes captains unless this has been FAQ'd) do not count towards bow limits.

I don't think that Attacks = Shots is particularly balanced as you have said as you would need to add more compensation to make ranged heroes retain their value. An interesting idea would be: For every 1 strength the hero has over the strength of their bow, they receive a +1 to hit or wound rolls. EG an Elf captain (S4) has an elf bow (S3), so he would receive +1 to hit/wound. Legolas hs the same stats so would receive the same result so it scales up quite ok, but I would be terrified of Legolas doing 3 shots at +2 to hit.

Alternatively you could just go for another obvious swap - the persons strength -1 = the strength of their bow. EG a human archer (S3) minus 1 = S2 so you have the same result. This destroys elves and dwarves though. For heroes you would just end up the same except for human captains again (S4 -1 = S3) where an elf captain would be on S3 as well and have no more advantage than the human except for the to hit rolls. You could always say elves aren't at +1 to hit when they move though.