All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2024 2:03 am

Post subject: What is the purpose/use of the new palace guard?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:25 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have been thinking about this and I can't really decide what they should be used for in an army. They are pretty expensive for front line soldiers, but their High defence (for elves) seems to indicate this is their purpose. But they have a special rule that is only in effect when they are within 3inches of Thranduil indicating a more specialized role.

I have been toying with the idea of using them with spears as backup to the rangers and for anti monster duty because the all have elven blades.
Maybe even a few with shields to tie up enemy heroes... I'm not sure yet.

Anyway I am wondering your guys opinions on this.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
 Post subject: Re: What is the purpose/use of the new palace guard?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:39 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Also, any ideas on why the cost so much? Points wise....

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:46 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

For all the things the wood elves have to offer, you better be a damn TACTICIAN if you put these guys in your army. Anyone could use Mirkwood archers considering they all shoot.

But these are very pricey. I dont like their stats personally. But I assume all of the norm are true. Put your archers behind them. Use them as or with spear support. Pick and choose your battles. They can shield too right?

Just the normal things.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:01 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I think i am in the minority when i say i really like their design and am very happy that the wood elves finally have a 'frontline' heavy infantry option but also am severely disappointed that they cost an arm and leg. They should cost 11 points if you base them off high elves with the kingsguard option (plus one point for bodyguard). So can't for the life of me figure out why they cost 14 :roll:
I use mostly mirkwood rangers with a 10-12 palace guards with thranduil to make sure i get the best out of them.They are simply to expensive to take in greater amounts. :(

My W.I.P - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=28062
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:54 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Hammer and anvil - use the guard to hold a position, backed by some archers and other support, while your main force is mobile and can push the opposition toward this deadly barrier. I have not seen the stats yet (don't put them up here!) so I have not had a chance to do the maths on cost versus capability.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Use a frontline shieldwall of Palace Guard with swords and ally in some Wood Elves from the old Mirkwood & Lothlorien list for cheap(er) spear support. And use Legolas or Tauriel with a warband of Mirkwood Rangers for missile support (targeting enemy Heroes, banners, monsters and spear support).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:59 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I was having similar thoughts while painting up the models. To me it the point cost seems almost a typo, typing in the price of the Mirkwood rangers by accident.

If the Mirkwood ranger do get bonus attacks for fighting against supports (don’t think it’s been FaQ'd yet I was thinking of the below;

Doing as some people have suggested of placing rangers behind the guard (they won’t even be able to be shot at due to the elven cloaks). However when combat comes close put the rangers out in front. Try to keep your men near a banner, this would they would essentially have 3 attacks to win combat and with a high fight value there to be difficult to beat.

What makes this interesting though is that the enemy team won’t be able to counter this with their own support because it will only make the elves more likely to win (presuming the elves have the greater fight value).

The main problem with this is though is you will be outnumbered severely so defending your flanks is a must. Plus Mordor trolls could hurt this army a lot with their high fight value. Heroes could potentially be hassle but with fight 6 helps counter that threat.

If you lose a fight your likely to lose a model however if done right you won't be losing many fights!

I haven’t tested this out so it's just a theory of mine. It also obviously depends on the ruling about the spear support against rangers, so thinkers crossed on that!!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:48 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

rigg1313 wrote:
I think i am in the minority when i say i really like their design and am very happy that the wood elves finally have a 'frontline' heavy infantry option but also am severely disappointed that they cost an arm and leg. They should cost 11 points if you base them off high elves with the kingsguard option (plus one point for bodyguard). So can't for the life of me figure out why they cost :roll:
:(

To right, I have done the same calculations, based of of regular wood elves and they come to 12. You could argue 13 depending on the use of that rule. But the cost of a ranger is too much for these guys.

@ dorthonion the cost the same as a regular wood elf with an elf bow and cloak. Their stats are similar to the guards of the galadhrim court. But they have a -1 to fight, which can be boosted thanks to a special rule as well as body guard. Oh and they have elven blades instead of pikes.
Hope that helps?

From what I understand it is that the general consensus is that they should be used in conjunction with rangers/wood elves as a hammer and anvil type force.

I've been thinking a bit more about their use and I think they could work a lot better (in terms of army composition) if old and new mirkwood were combined. Or if wood elves and sentinels were included in the new army list. What do you guys think?