All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:36 pm

Post subject: The DEFINITIVE guide to monsters: part 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Book 2: Troll Huntin'

I know I promised an in depth look at what heroes you should fight monsters with in part 1, but to be honest that would essentially mean doing a write up for every hero in the game, which is too much, and not necessary, so instead I will discuss how each force in the game can take on monster armies and hero armies. That's right kids, all hero armies are being targeted here too, the hobbit movies seem to be making people want to re-create the feeling of a jolly band of heroes taking on a horde of foes - look at pictures from recent events and you can see for yourself just how popular all hero armies are becoming!

Elves:
First off, always max out elf archery - regardless of what you are playing, it is terrifying potent. Alos against heroes and monsters do not shirk on elf blades, the added ability to win roll off's is VERY useful.

High Elves:
High Elves are one of the best armies to take on monsters; high defence, high fight, strength 3 bows, and two heroes with above fight 6 mean you don't have tonnes to worry about. I would highly recommend Gil-Galad at the 500 upwards mark, mainly for the kings guard upgrade, that matches the standard f6 of the best value monsters (Burdhur, Goblin King, Spider Queen, Ringwraiths). Furthermore the high courage of all elves is incredibly useful against monsters. A few things to think about when you reckon you'll be up against all monster/all hero armies when playing this faction:

Arwen: Against monsters, your army will outnumber them 100% of the time, so you will have loads of models in combat, meaning Arwens lack of attacks is not so much of a big deal, on a horse charging she will get two attacks anyway, and natures wrath is a terrifying concept against monsters/cavalry hero armies - it forces them to use their all important will they will need for courage checks.

Elrond: As I have said, natures wrath is great against monsters (and everything). However renew is also a really handy spell against monsters, it is very common for a hero to take a single wound early on without dying thanks to being hit by a lucky hurl/an unfortunate combat, and having the ability to regain it makes you feel a lot more comfortable charging back in.

High Elf Stormcaller: Arwen is way better, if you don't have her then strengthen will is still an important spell against monsters, you need your heroes to be brave and charge into combat.

Wood Elves:
Best army to fight monsters/heroes, the fight 5 means that models like Eomer and Dragon Knights who are there to fill up the points will be slowed down when it comes to cutting through troops, and the possibility of f6 with Galadhrim Court Guards means you can have f6 via spear supports who aren't in immediate danger (look out for hurl/barge though). The 'informed tips' I am about to provide are probably common sense but I may as-well spell this out for the sake of a concise article:

Thranduil: Obviously the insta natures wrath are incredibly useful, and if you see a gang of heroes/monsters being deployed, set your own army as far back as possible and blow two might channelling both spells. When using Thranny place no groups of models in front of his - doing this opens up the possibility of a heroic combat slingshotting a 3 attack model right into Thranduil before he gets a chance to channel natures wrath. I would even advise keepin him surrounded by other models just incase you are taken by surprise.

Rumil: Duh!

Legolas: Duh!

Galadhrim Stormcaller: Duh!

Wood Elf Sentinels: Duh!

Rangers:/b] Yes! Do not be afraid to slam might points into deploying further back if you are using these bad boys, just don't leave a single warband near the enemy, [b]keep it together marines!

Celeborn: Arguably more useful than Thranny - hear me out! Transfix shut's down the one enemy model you want it to, whereas the model with the most will and might around can choose to resist nature's wrath in place of bigger, more deadly models. Furthermore Aura of command guarantees your elves will actually be charging the monsters (do not assume courage 5 means you don't need to worry about terror, most monster armies will have harbinger of evil knockin about). Also Celeborn is better defended and has 3 attacks, if you take both Thranny and Celeborn you are pretty much set.

Next time: Other armies discussed.
 Post subject: Re: The DEFINITIVE guide to monsters: part 2
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:52 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You missed my favorite, Guards of the Galadhrim Court :) I think they're better than King's Guard because a) they don't need an expensive hero to make them, and b) pikes. Getting 3 attacks (two of which can't be slain) at their fight level is dangerous to any monster.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:17 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Gil-galad is hardly an expensive hero for elves; for his points he's one of the most efficient heroes in the game, especially when fighting monsters. Besides, SMB did mention Galadrim Guards in his para about wood elves, and their useful fight 6 with pikes.

I do agree that they are quite nice though, having benefited massively to spear/pike changes in The Hobbit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:21 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

VandalCabbage wrote:
Besides, SMB did mention Galadrim Guards in his para about wood elves, and their useful fight 6 with pikes.

Doh! Totally missed it. Too hasty...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Nice guide thank you! Im very interested to see some other armies!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I cannot wait to hear his take on Barad-Duh!

(not a typo... it is a pune, a play upon words and sounds.)

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice guide again :)

Edit: Thanks SD - Cavalry are more attractive vs monsters now :)

Last edited by Hodush on Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:00 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You get the extra attack bonus for charging monsters just not knockdown.

Mid Sussex Wargamers