All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2024 1:56 am

Post subject: A deadly Dwarf concotion
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:18 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

First, one Khazad guard uses two-hand, supported by two others that are not. Iron guard and Grims lead the charge and use throwing weapons to wear down the front line. When engaged, one-two grimhammers bash, while either iron or khazad beat the model when its down. This is all supported by either a hornblower, ballistae sniper fire, kings champion, or normal banner bearer to allow re-rolls. The champ goes in the front, but the other things would go in back. Think this could crack its way through an orc warband or two?

-Clone Cadets Echo and Droidbait
 Post subject: Re: A deadly Dwarf concotion
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:32 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It works in theory, but I think it would only work against more skirmish like enemies. Against a shieldwall, it would only work I the flanks because that would be the only time you could double team. Or you could hit the shield wall bash all of the front line down and run khazads in if you win priority....idk you have to win priority, it's really tricky to pull of.
I would rather a shield wall with warriors of erebor and grimhammers lapping around the side. But that's just me.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:38 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

WhoelsebutHaldir wrote:
It works in theory, but I think it would only work against more skirmish like enemies. Against a shieldwall, it would only work I the flanks because that would be the only time you could double team. Or you could hit the shield wall bash all of the front line down and run khazads in if you win priority....idk you have to win priority, it's really tricky to pull of.
I would rather a shield wall with warriors of erebor and grimhammers lapping around the side. But that's just me.

Where would you put Khazads, Iron, Ballistae, and Dwarf leaders (Kings champ or banner bearer or horn blower)

-Clone Cadets Echo and Droidbait
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:44 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yes it can work, but I would use it against high defence armies otherwise you are basically just as well off rolling to wound like normal.

The problem is, do you outnumber them? most of the time, no so having a grim hammer and someone else in the same fight isnt all that likely. You are probably better off having the iron guard in the grim hammers fight, this way you are much more likely to get that kill.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Well since you lack cavalry, maybe either your Champion or siege weapon can put a gap in a shield wall. From there you form a ^ shape, and you can double team guys. Its not as good as the old days though, because you can't trap a model with its allies, but you'd still be able to combine Iron guard hits with grimhammer bashes, which if successful will give the Iron guard 4 attacks.

Not bad.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

If you want to employ skirmish tactics, you need to be able to break the enemies' shieldwall, and there are only a handful of good models that can do that reliably:
Saruman: 18" compel and a 4+ sorcerous blast.
Treebeard: Only 3 attack monster good has available to it.
Thranduil: Nature's Wrath!

I would not bother with the ballistae, kings champ is a good shout.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:58 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

It's a decent idea but as others have pointed out your scenario requires you to outnumber your opponent in the fight, so either you have more troops on the field or your opponent has stupidly charged some ahead of the main group. Either way it's unlikely to set up as you stated. Against Dwarves and the like, weaker armies (Orcs, Goblins, etc will either pack in tight and use spear support to bring weight of numbers against you, or they will swarm your Dwarves and prevent you from getting more than 1 in a combat

MiniWargaming