All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:53 pm

Post subject: Too Many Dwarf Heroes?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:24 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Having been looking through the new dwarf profiles I was hit by something, obviously the dwarves are going to be getting an abundance of heroes in these movies but I think we're going to hit a problem with the number of high attack, high wound, high defence 'uber' heroes

They already have Thrain, Thror, Thorin, Dwalin, Gimli, Durin, the King's Champion (sort of) and the old Balin profile (which may be classified as out of date now) and will likely be getting a new Dain profile I also wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get a new Thorin profile e.g. the two Elrond, Halidir, Galadriel, Merry, Pippin and Aragorn profiles given the changes that occur between now and the end of the story.

It seems like the dwarves may be a bit either overpowered or 'top heavy' as lots of their new 'lesser' heroes aren't so good e.g. the new Balin or Bifur profiles fit well into the film but aren't great on the field

What do you guys think?
 Post subject: Re: Too Many Dwarf Heroes?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:30 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The old Dwarves are in a different army list "Durin's Folks", while the new while are under "Erebor" or something. So you can only ally one with the other, not combine them indiscriminately.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:53 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

As constantine says, they are in different lists so I don't think there will be an issue. Each list has its own deficiencies (namely spears and bows) so I don't think this is a major issue. It will be interesting to see what profiles or releases there are for Iron Hills warriors as there isn't much room to move with all the other variations at the moment.

As for the heroes, yes they are quite good, but if you combine Rohan, Gondor and Fiefdoms you also have a lot of hero options. I honestly don't think we will see a new Thorin profile as he already has all the wargear options and his character isn't likely to go through a huge amount of change on screen. The only other option would be if he appears in heavy armour in the films, otherwise everything is covered. We will definitely see a new pose though I would guess.

As for Dain, yes it will probably be a new profile, but I suspect they will just leave it the same, take out his "old" rule, maybe add something to level him out with Thrain/Thror, but basically just making him cost more than his old profile, so no issues there. Dwarves will definitely be very well rounded by the end though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:20 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Ah two separate army list makes sense, though I can see a lot of people allying them together (e.g. Gimli+Gloin). Are the old Balin and soon Dain profiles out of date or can we choose which one we use or are they army list specific?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:57 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

They are army list specifics. for example Balin son of Fundin, Lord of Moria (the old profile) is exclusive to Durin's Folk, while Balin's new profile is exclusive to the new army lists.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:17 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

ElfGeneral wrote:
Ah two separate army list makes sense, though I can see a lot of people allying them together (e.g. Gimli+Gloin). Are the old Balin and soon Dain profiles out of date or can we choose which one we use or are they army list specific?

Your example wouldn't work anyways as Gloin cannot lead the new Dwarves (army of Thror). The only members of Thorin's company that can lead them are Thorin, Dwalin, and Balin. Beyond these three all the other hero options are really redundant for Durin's Folk army. So there's less hero advantages than you might think

MiniWargaming