All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Oct 07, 2024 3:27 pm

Post subject: Rohan Shield Wall
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:15 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I personally enjoy having a shield wall of rohan infantry with a mix of one handed and throwing spears, then backed up by banners, hornblowers and archers with cavalry supporting the flanks makes for a fun army :aragorn:

Post subject: Re: Rohan Shield Wall
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi Royalhelm,

I dont want to be rude, but maybey you could open a topic called : 'royal helms questions' :) since I just chekked the newest threads and they are all yours..
That way we can answer all your questions, without spamming to much. But I am no moderator, it is just a suggestion.

To answer your question, I like Rohan alot but have never played it ( I barely play the game becouse there is a lack of players around here.)
all rohan infantry have shields and looke quiete diverse, it is nice to put such an army to the table. And the bow armed cavalry makes a very good mix with some infantry indeed !

prov. 27:17
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yet the low fight value, and defense of the Militia will hurt the durability of the Shield Wall.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:07 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I would love to fight your Rohan shield wall with my Dwarves or Harad lol. Bye bye wimpy militia

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:50 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks for the advice and sorry for the spam questions, im very new and have alot of questions, JamesR that is where im thinking of allying in some Mirkwood elves with their spears for more support and their great shoot value

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:57 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I don't play the game so have no understanding of the rules whatsoever, but might a shield wall work better with mounted Rohirrim or Royal Guard perhaps?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:08 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You can't really do a shield wall with cavalry, it's counter-productive.
Rohan just isn't good at such engagements but the best option if you need to hold a point is definitely the Royal Guard. No one else for them has the necessary defense to survive long

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:37 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The rohan shield wall was one of their staple tactics in years gone by. The game has advanced since then and made it somewhat more difficult but its still a good formation to learn to use.

Broadly speaking all you need for one are a warband of Rohirrem with shields, a banner to stand behind them and a Hero (preferrably with high defence and shield) to lead them.
All you really need from this group is to pin an enemy in place, their job isn't to kill enemies, not at first, but to get to a position where they can hold against enemy infantry using their shields to compensate for the lack of spear support. Once in position you hammer your cavalry into the enemy and with any luck take away their spear support, at that point the shield wall stops shielding and tries to kill the hopefully trapped enemies.

For added effect Royal guards can hold longer and fight better, but they're also much more expensive to lose. Throwing spears are also expensive upgrades BUT! they allow you to harrass enemy infantry prior to combat and can sometimes tip the odds in your favour, one or two dead enemy warriors can effectively pay for the cost of a warband's spears, make sure you get plenty of throws to try and make that happen. :)

Is it a 'press here to win button'? Nope
Is it a difficult formation to use compared to one line shields, one line spears? Yup
Is it nicely themed and play to the strengths of having a heavy cavalry element? Yup
Does it help a predominantly cavalry force take and hold ground that would otherwise be less than favourable to fight over? You bet