All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Sep 29, 2024 11:21 pm

Post subject: Who to put in the front rank
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:57 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Here's something that pops up every now and then: would you put elite warriors in the front rank, or use them as spear support?

Common examples would be Guards of the Fountain Court or Palace Guard. With a higher defence than the rest of the army (if given shields), they are the most solid troop available to their respective lists. However, they will also be in the more vulnerable position. As spear support, they still provide their higher Fight value, and some are likely to survive until the end game, where their bodyguard rule can be important for claiming objectives.

There are of course a variety of circumstances where first or second rank is obviously preferred: when fighting terror-causing enemies, bodyguarding troops in the first rank is great. If fighting S3 enemies, you may as well put D6 Warriors of Minas Tirith in front, as they are equally difficult to kill as D7 Guards - the same with D5 Mirkwood Elves and D6 Palace Guard when facing S4. If the opponent's Fight value is lower anyway, it also matters less who gives spear support when Feinting with the front rank.

So, what do you generally choose, under what circumstances, and why?
 Post subject: Re: Who to put in the front rank
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:33 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

In general, it would really bug me from a thematic point to have elite troops in the back ranks; those guys have a reputation for a reason, and it isn't standing at the back and poking spears around! From a tactical standpoint, it makes sense to put the high-F guys in the back if the Defence doesn't matter, but personally my Elite are always front and centre.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:04 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

For me it depends on defense first and foremost.

For example, if I take Gondor, Im going to have Warriors of Minis Tirith in front with fountain support. Their defense is both high.

If I take Harad, well everythings defense sucks, but Ill put half trolls in front with harad spears.

If I take Hunter Orcs, believe they are going to be behind Gundabads with shields.

So generally, the higher defense always in front, unless in cases like Gondor, they have nearly the same defense.

Another thing....ALWAYS guys with shields..... shielding is an absolutely vital tactic.

To think of a case where you have a really tough decision.......say I take black numenoreans and half trolls in a warband....Ill put the numenoreans in front. They can shield, have a high defense, and I really wanna protect my trolls for when lines clash. Then they upend everything in their way. Seriously.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

there's no an answer above all else aside from keeping lower armoured units behind.
High defense troops go in front line.
As Isengard (old rules) I started a phalanx with Uruks with shield on front, rather then berserkers, who dwelt behind the lines. I let those uruks get the elven bowfire and, man, they died. But when it came to battle, my berserkers reached the first line, untouched.

One could also consider what I call the "Suicide Platoon". Cheap units whom only exists to absord bowfire. Because a lucky shot against a orc warrior with shield is one thing; the same shot on a Black Numenorean is a whole different story.

In most battle I know there's someone who has to die. Is my job to feed enemy's arrows with units I could replace. Even as dwarf player, I'd never put Khazads or Iron Guards on the front line, despite their good defence.
Different story for the Vault Warden (D9 means 6/4 for crossbows, 6/5 for elves and 6/6 for common bows.). Still, I've seen on this site a battle report where Legolas shoot two of them down in one turn, so I'm having second thoughts..
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:06 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That was a lucky event haha.

Just to comment on your Isengard list. I plan on Proxying warlord games Germanic tribesmen for Ruffians or Men of Dunland. Either way, you can just throw them in the front line too lol.

http://www.warlordgames.com/germanic-tribesmen/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:51 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My problem is if I don't put them on the front they never see combat hahaha.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:58 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Honestly I dont see why you wouldnt want them in the front. they are usually the units that will cut through your opponent the fastest depending on what we are talking about. Even with Fountain Court Guard, I put them in the front because Strength 4 is much more common now.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:08 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

to be fair I think you should scope out the opponent's force before deployment and deal with it accordingly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:41 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

legion wrote:
Honestly I dont see why you wouldnt want them in the front. they are usually the units that will cut through your opponent the fastest depending on what we are talking about. Even with Fountain Court Guard, I put them in the front because Strength 4 is much more common now.

It depends. if my opponents has a line of elven archers, I'd rather put a Minas Tirith soldier to absorve bow fire, at least for a couple of turns. If there are no archers, it's a different story. We cannot really talk in theory, because every situation will be different.

Quote:
My problem is if I don't put them on the front they never see combat hahaha.

You have to be smart in deployment and keep 'em where do you think they will be needed. There are lots of way to switch the fighters, but they only works if they are well-positioned