All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 1:38 am

Post subject: Alright, I learned my lesson
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Aside from theme, an all grey company army isn't a good idea. I tried my arnor hunters force again today and got creamed! The bows performed a little better, but not enough to say, yep this is a good force. Additionally, the monsters kicked my buttt. Aragorn was killed in a single round. A single round. One round, 6 wnds and no help from melbeth. That happened during the first round of melee combat, it was all down hill from there.

Words to the wise regarding the new hobbit rules. Always come with a monster. Always come to the table with a high fight guy to counter your opponents monster. Always have some kind of a magic user on the table, they're invaluable.
 Post subject: Re: Alright, I learned my lesson
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

jdizzy001 wrote:
Words to the wise regarding the new hobbit rules. Always come with a monster. Always come to the table with a high fight guy to counter your opponents monster. Always have some kind of a magic user on the table, they're invaluable.

That's basically how most people play it. They either have a monster or two, or a unit designed to counter monsters (like a spell-caster or high fight hero), or even a combination of them, possibly all. And most 500+ point lists will want a spell-caster or monster.

Now that is not to say that an army like full Grey Company can not win. Not to discredit you, but forces like that require a ton of practice and skill. Like all Mirkwood Rangers, or something similar. So do not just throw out this list just yet. Practice with it, a lot. Soon you might find out how to use it to its best potential. in a sense, every force requires this sort of practice, but due to the mechanics behind one force or another, some will take shorter or longer to learn. So yeah, don't trash it, just work with it. Modify the list here and there. Maybe you'll find a way to make it work.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:10 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm not saying grey company is bad, I'm just saying that it is better to include it as a single warband then dedicate the rest of your force to a different theme.

Additionally, for 500 pts Gorn is too much of an investment. The twins alside arathorn would provide better support. The big problem with my current list is that aside from rangers of the north, aragorn and malbeth are the only heroes. Heck, for a similar cost Instead of gorn i could run arathorn or halbarad with the twins. Sure, i'd lose the banner ability but i could squeeze a banner in for sure.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:58 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Most people don't take Aragorn with Grey Company, it's too much of a points investment for an already low model count army. My first choice would Arathorn (nothing special, but he does the job) or the Twins.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Grey company is ok if you have something like you vs Mordor Orc army or something. They were designed to ambush in forests you know....

Usually at 750(I almost never play less than this) I dont always have a spell caster, a monster, and a high fight hero. Its not always necessary.
With Mordor, Ill always take a wraith, probably a troll and like Shagrat the General, or another tough guy troop killer.

With Isengard though, its ferals/berserkers, and a Shaman(they will kill a troll with 1 bad round rolling from him. If you beat him in a fight, they do need 6s but with fury you can get all kinds of guys on him. Then crossbows to thin out their troops, and then eventually their high cost, high fight hero gets swarmed.

In terms of Elves, Ill probably take the new Thranduil, Mirkwood Rangers, and mayb Beorn. So 2/3 things being high fight, monster, and magic.

or sometimes that list with a wizard. I personally dont like Gandalfs profile though too much.

Or in terms of say a dwarf army, take a Dwalin, Dain etc. You heroic strike, beat the troll, and piercing strike. Make sure you have plenty of support.......

And yes, at lower point values(truth be told in any game ever) I never take Aragorn.

At 500 points my most expensive hero for a fun game might be lik 125. At a tournament he will never be more than 110, and often less than 100.

500 tournaments or less, I go Isengard, Hunter Orcs, Goblins, or Dwarves.

Also yeah Goblins.....wanna shock your friend next time at 500?

Take all Goblin Captains/Shamans, cave trolls, and regular troops.

You can take 3 cave trolls and have a sizeable force. Just have your goblins survive with the shaman, and spam goblins. The 3 trolls will win most fights at that level and dominate. Just watch out for armies with the old Thranduil, or other terror armies. They might hurt you badly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I appreciate the advice