All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:52 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who is your nemesis or most violent enemy? Biggest supri
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:12 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Frêrin wrote:
Against monsters without mightpoints you don't even need magic. If it's a cave troll attack it with one hero and 3 warriors (2 spears) and heroic strike. Hero will need 5's to wound warriors 6 -> Monster dead in two turns.
If it's something with a larger base just attack with as many warriors as possible and try to surround -> Monster dead in one or two rounds.
Against monsters with might magic is handy...

Two turns means two might points spent for heroic strike. Which means 2 less might for wounds and for other heroic actions. On the other hand, a powerfull monster may only need one turn.

Magic is the best way to handle monster. A spellcaster who can cast immobilize will terrify your opponent as much as his monster terrify you . This is why, in my dwarf army, I use Raddy. Immobilise on 3+, which is not bad, aura of Dismay (most monster will usually have only average courage and do not benefit from Fury) and, most of all, can cast without the need to expose himself. Still, Raddy doesn't came out for free...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:27 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

But there is not always a wizard in every army ;) Of course if you have one transfix is the better option.
But 2 might against a dead monster is a good deal in my opinion!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:17 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Or just tough units.

I took down a Mordor Troll in 1 or 2 turns with furied Ferals. Get some two handed or strength 4 units, swarm it, and have a hero for heroic strikes. Even a basic captain of men needs only a 3 plus to tie a troll and then trap him. With enough strikes you can roll the 6s.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:43 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

This is going to sound like a joke but...

He's obviously no superhero but every time my opponent picks him, the Gondorian captain seems to do something extraordinary.
In a points-based version of the siege of Minas Tirith, he killed my Knight of Umbar (backed with a Morannon spearman) in a single turn.
Then, in a Lords of Battle scenario several months later, the two met again. To my horror, he yet again killed the Knight of Umbar in a turn.
Then, two weeks ago, in an Isengard vs Gondor game, he popped up again. I charged him alone with Ugluk, backed up by two pikemen, a banner and within range of a Shaman's channeled Fury. Somehow, Ugluk died within two turns.

Seriously dislike that guy.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Hahahahaha I totally understand. That was one of the good responses I was hoping for!

Ive had that happen with my friend a lot. Hes got Thranduil, Tauriel, Legolas, etc.....but sometimes I just cant kill his wood elf or Rohan Captain the whole game.....

As for me, I personally hhave your problem with the knight of umbar, but with Faramir.

I used to use him all the time.....then game, after game, after game he would die and almost take NOTHING with him....I swear. I had him with armor and stuff too.....Ive lost ALL faith at this point and no one model has left such doubt in my mind. Denethor much? I also hold Boromir in high esteem. I dont think any other models have so closely followed the movie for me. lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:26 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Funny you should say that about Faramir, he's the same for me. So many times I have given him a chance to show his quality, which are usually followed by 1s/2s To Hit, rolling 1 less than required to Wound, or otherwise being outshone by the (ever-reliable) Rangers around him. And Boromir, on the other hand, has never let me down. Minature Wargaming imitating life imitating art, perhaps?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:28 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hmm my number one problem model that gives me jip every time I go against them... Dwarf archers, seriously my friends archers are better than his heroes. I'm not afraid of his Gimli or his kings, its his archers.

One round of shooting from 5 of the the little blighters took isulder down to one wound and forces him to use all his fate...

They also are beasts in combat never doing much killing but they hold me up long enough to stop me from taking a flank when I need it. Seriously major thorn in my side from turn 1 !
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Paradigm wrote:
Funny you should say that about Faramir, he's the same for me. So many times I have given him a chance to show his quality, which are usually followed by 1s/2s To Hit, rolling 1 less than required to Wound, or otherwise being outshone by the (ever-reliable) Rangers around him. And Boromir, on the other hand, has never let me down. Minature Wargaming imitating life imitating art, perhaps?

No kidding...its extremely true.

Im not a fan of Gondor in general, so I already have an issue there. Then when I put Faramir in the list, my motivation is just demolished.

His profile is an issue I think.

For his initial point cost, hes not bad. But then I think thats where you have to leave him.

Because people think, ah, I wanna max him out....so lets say you give him heavy armor, a shield, an armored horse, and a lance. Make him a total bamf.

He then with various upgrades is 100 points.

So youre paying that for a 2 wound, fight 5 profile.....

If you leave him as is, and take him with Osgiliath vets, I think he can be more worth it being a low cost with 3 might. Maybe even just a regular horse too.... but that starts the slippery slope of paying too much.

My heroes for Gondor at 750 points will always go in this order:

Boromir, badass.
Damrod/Beregond
Cirion/Denethor

Then Faramir maybe. If points are 1000 Id rather pay a lot more and take Aragorn......

Idk. I hate a lack of trust in him, and his profile. I think the King of men is even better. You lose 1 might and fate yes, but you save ten points, and its the same profile. I think Faramir is just in that bad range of points I dislike. I like heroes that are like 65 or less, and then 95 or more generally.....not that those are set #s but I just happen to see that in myself.

Its weird. In Gondor, Knight of the Tower, Faramir, and Kings are the only heroes with fight 5, and I think I would never take any of them.

Id go for the fight 6 guys who will dominate combats, or the fight 4 who will lend to more troops and still all are either EXTREMELY low in points, or have 3 might like Cirion, and Madril. Eh. Thats my take on it. Hes the middle child of Gondor. I agree that he shouldnt have fight 6 though, or 4 only.

Silver_legion wrote:
Hmm my number one problem model that gives me jip every time I go against them... Dwarf archers, seriously my friends archers are better than his heroes. I'm not afraid of his Gimli or his kings, its his archers.

One round of shooting from 5 of the the little blighters took isulder down to one wound and forces him to use all his fate...

They also are beasts in combat never doing much killing but they hold me up long enough to stop me from taking a flank when I need it. Seriously major thorn in my side from turn 1 !

Lol if you think thats tough wait till you see hobbit archers. I took down a decent amount of Knights of Dol Amroth and a ton of hunter orcs before.

At less points that a goblin with shield, they have a 3+ to shoot!

One of the most under emphasized armies in the game. I believe at any pooints value thats like 750 or less, I could dominate a tournament.

I went to a small I think 125pt test day with them, and went 4-0 with only our own GloryforGondor breaking me that day, or coming close.

I massacred Isengard, and Dwarves. Another guy brough wood elves and the game was long and boring but I shot him to death with so few troops.

I forgot who I played the final battle, but it didnt make me fearful of losing either.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:50 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I don't think I have that much of an issue with Faramir's profile itself. On paper he seems fine, 3 Might is always good and he should beat your regular Captain in a fight with F5. I run with either a bow (leading Rangers) or Heavy Armour (leading Vets), so I don't feel I'm ploughing too many points into him. It's just that my dice seem to hate him; if he shoots, he'll miss three shots for every one he hits, if he fights he'll lose to something about half his point or that has no business beating him. Meanwhile, his Warband usually does really well themselves.

If it weren't for background reasons, I'd run Madril instead of him most times, but as it is I like to try and run themed heroes, so if Boromir's in the list, so is he most times.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Well you can run an Osgiliath list with him Damrod and Madril and still have rangers and vets as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:32 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

My 'full' Osgiliath list (as in, first battle of Osgiliath, pre WotR) has Boromir leading Vets, Cirion with WoMT, and Madril and Faramir with Rangers, so they all get packed in. If I were WotR-theming it, it would be Faramir with the Vets, and Madril and Cirion with the rangers and Warriors respectively. I'll rarely run the same list in more than a couple of games in a row, so it does get mixed up a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

And going back to the Faramir profile...I mean....I do like it. Its not bad for its points....its just at a weird spot for me especially considering he always fails me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:01 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Paradigm wrote:

Do not trouble me with Faramir, I know his uses and they are few.

So far I only say ONE game when he got to end. Amongst many other thing, Faramir was:
-Smashed by Shagrat (the strong one. Was charged, knocked and took double hits. Died.)
-Smashed by Gothmog (Faramir was on horse, with lance and shield. Lost and took 3 wounds, failed fate, died.)
-Hit by a Sorcerous Blast. Survived the hit but was pushed against 4 units and died.
-Fell of a cliff ("you want double hits or take the fall?"- " I take the fall, a couple of S3 hits ain't much"-LAST FAMOUS WORDS)
-lost a shooting contest with Vrasku. (down in two turns. Missed both the shoots.)
-had a close encounter with the Business end of the lance of a Morgul Knight (won the fight, banner changed outcome, died)
-lost a shooting contest with Lurtz and ended a-la-Boromir. This is the only time he actually did something like his brother.

a prime example of bad luck.
Has became a recurring gag.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:17 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dikey wrote:
Paradigm wrote:

Do not trouble me with Faramir, I know his uses and they are few.

So far I only say ONE game when he got to end. Amongst many other thing, Faramir was:
-Smashed by Shagrat (the strong one. Was charged, knocked and took double hits. Died.)
-Smashed by Gothmog (Faramir was on horse, with lance and shield. Lost and took 3 wounds, failed fate, died.)
-Hit by a Sorcerous Blast. Survived the hit but was pushed against 4 units and died.
-Fell of a cliff ("you want double hits or take the fall?"- " I take the fall, a couple of S3 hits ain't much"-LAST FAMOUS WORDS)
-lost a shooting contest with Vrasku. (down in two turns. Missed both the shoots.)
-had a close encounter with the Business end of the lance of a Morgul Knight (won the fight, banner changed outcome, died)
-lost a shooting contest with Lurtz and ended a-la-Boromir. This is the only time he actually did something like his brother.

a prime example of bad luck.
Has became a recurring gag.

Lmao at the first comment in bold, and LMMFAO at the second.

Nice list of Faramir deaths. It would be a funny compilation youtube video with some added effects.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:11 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

That is funny, because Faramir is one of my go to heroes. I've played him a number of times and I've watched in disbelief as he out performed some of the harder hitting heroes. I love fielding Faramir, not as much as I love fielding The Captain of Gondor, or King Elessar, but Faramir has always performed well for me. He and Cirion.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I can help but bosh all my rolls with treebeard, can't seem to roll higher than 4 to win a fight or 1s to wound
On the other hand I have a goblin, known as the pikey one. he always kills at the very least 5 guys a battle to himself, he has the a moon shaped shield and a dagger and a bit of paint chipped off his face to boot but he is a true veteran I remember one battle where he killed a khazad guard a turn for 3 turns in a row, and kept surviving any hits due to fury later on

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:40 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yeah Grungehog, having a standard warrior that repeatedly performs well in any game you put them in is fantastic. Sooner or later you start writing them into your battle plans as genuine intimidation for the enemy.
I remember there was one particular Rivendell Knight my opponent loved to field. Without fail, I would gun down his entire unit and captain, then he would reach my battleline and kill about 9 figures through the course of the game. Four times this happened. The third time he 12 Berserkers, killed one with his bow, four in combat, (after being surrounded for four turns) and ran away again to take down my Shaman and win the game. The fourth time I got fed up of him and set an Isengard troll on his case. While he didn't kill the troll, he managed to fight it off and prevent it from doing anything useful the entire game. He won all but one fight, where I decided to Hurl him. He survived and charged right back in. What a guy.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:08 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Isilduhrr wrote:
Yeah Grungehog, having a standard warrior that repeatedly performs well in any game you put them in is fantastic. Sooner or later you start writing them into your battle plans as genuine intimidation for the enemy.
I remember there was one particular Rivendell Knight my opponent loved to field. Without fail, I would gun down his entire unit and captain, then he would reach my battleline and kill about 9 figures through the course of the game. Four times this happened. The third time he 12 Berserkers, killed one with his bow, four in combat, (after being surrounded for four turns) and ran away again to take down my Shaman and win the game. The fourth time I got fed up of him and set an Isengard troll on his case. While he didn't kill the troll, he managed to fight it off and prevent it from doing anything useful the entire game. He won all but one fight, where I decided to Hurl him. He survived and charged right back in. What a guy.

I know Thorin Oakenshield with shield is not exactly normal or cheap, but on multiple occasions he has lived up to being the hero he should be.

Ive had him chop trolls in half like it was nothing, hold off Dain and some other powerful Durins folk dwarf just by oakenshielding....I think there he killed one, and brought Dain to one wound before dieing.

Another turn I kept heroic striking and he beat Sauron like 4-5 turns in a row to back him off.

As for basic heroes, I had one harad with bow against my buddy with Elves, and warriors of Minis Tirath with bows.
I think it was four on one, and for about 6-8 turns one game, he dodged their bowfire(they were left in a secluded part of the field when the battle went on in another part) and he ended up taking out three of them.

Finally, another couple warriors got on my guys case, and he shot one more I believe before he was taken down. But he literally tied up like 35-45 points of troops with his small self for half the battle. If he would have taken those guys to the main fight, he could have secured more objectives. This was on hold ground and he lost by a few turns worth of different planning.

I called that harad warrior the Scorpion King.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

If we're on the subject of Warriors that perform well, I'm going to have to nominate my Rangers of Gondor (ironically led by the seemingly cursed Faramir most games). They shoot about as well as you expect, if not better (last game, one hit the Witch King at about 1" inside max range, wounded and the WK promptly fails 2 Fate rolls. I did calculate the odds, it was something over 1000 to 1!), but it's in combat they seem to shine, holding up against waves of Orcs far better than D4 and no Shielding has right to.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Paradigm wrote:
(last game, one hit the Witch King at about 1" inside max range, wounded and the WK promptly fails 2 Fate rolls. I did calculate the odds, it was something over 1000 to 1!)

I should be more like 1/108 or 1/144 if they are moving. I may be wrong, I'm terrible at math.

If we talk about miracle makers (but this probably requires another topic, doesn't it?) I have to mention Murin in a legendary extermination game. Killed 3 berserkers, made a hole in the uruk's center, killed a captain in one turn, stood still under impressive crossbow fire and, when the game ended for time limit, he still had might to spend and all his wounds.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next