All times are UTC

It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 8:49 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rohan Supplement
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:02 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I've been trying to draft up a winter campaign for Helm v Dunland, I should have a general outline up in a few days. There was a king of rohan cant recall his name just now who drove the orcs from the white mountains and the went to hunt the boar of the ferian wood. He sounds like a prime candidate for a campaign of some sort.

Last edited by Wan Shi Tong on Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:30 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The duel is made to create your own duels, but i would assume that models with the same amount of wounds would be juste. The gaming board, well I recommend 12"x12", but choose yourself. I made a profile for Aldor, the helms deep archer guy. Should i make some more profiles or should I stay quiet instead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Alright I have decided on a few thing so I am ready to offer an outline for a campaign during the rein of Helm. Here are the matches I have in mind.

Two raids with dunland attacking Rohan villages beyond the Isen.
A throw down at the crossings of Isen between a rohan force led by Helm and a Dunland/Harad force led by Wulf.
Edoras garrison led by Halath is attacked by Dunlanding lead by wulf.
The hornburg his besieged by Dunlanding and Haradrim forces.
Frealaf Hilderson leads Rohan in a pitched battle against the Dunlandings.
Dunharrow is besieged.
Long winter sets in...
Hamas raid from the Hornburg against the Dunlanding camps.
Helm goes snow trolling.
Frealaf Hilderson breaks out from Dunharrow.
Frealaf Hilderson leads a raid against Wulf at Edoras.
Gondor sends help into rohan and breaks the siege of Helmsdeep.
Rohan and Gondor have a pitched battle to break the Dunlandings
Rohan and Gondor besiege Isenguard which is held by Dunland....

And that is the end of the campaign. Now its just a list of likely scenario candidates which will have to be worked into some kind of win/loss tree but its a start. There was an invasion of Easterlings just before and during the Dunland invasion so a few battles against them might be needed too.

Also before anyone gets on my case about haradrim helping the Dunlanding some of the ships from the Corsair fleets that were attacking Gondor at the time landed to the north and help the Dunlandings with the invasion. Its in the appendix, really it is.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:39 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Location: Somewhere in the Wild or by the Gaming Table in Imladris
Harfoot: Cool, thanks. That would be pretty nice to have a profile for Thorongil, with some awesome special rules and a scenario! :) He is Aragorn alright, and a great warrior and leader, but his time has not yet come to reveal himself.

Wan Shi Tong: Awesome! Thanks for taking your time and setting this up! 8) Well researched and much appreciated. You must mean Folca? He slew the great boar of Everholt in the Firien Wood, but he died of the tusk wounds it gave him. He sounds like he would make a brilliant profile, and a great scenario/campaign. A real hunter of orcs.

Truck22: Ok! I would like to see your Aldor profile! :-D
No worries man, your input is much appreciated! Everyone has some good ideas and you've contributed some already!

Elrohir

We have the Appearance of Men, the Souls of Elves, and Behave like Dwarves.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I was thinking about doing some profiles for the named heroes I mentioned but I also thin it would be a good opportunity to add some new unnamed heroes to rohan, like the old kings of men. Just some generic profiles that might give the captains some more flavor a generic captain of the kings guard or a marshal of the Mark perhaps. They could be used along side the other kings that don't have as much background of their own to pull characters from.

Folca yeah he would be great for a few games. Something more skirmish minded with smaller games focused on raiding and ambushes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:24 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wan Shi Tong: Good thinking! That way we don't have to stretch the appendixes to find profiles for the ordinary Kings and Marshals of Rohan who don't have amazing backgrounds. It also leaves the door open for people to use those generic profiles for their own ideas and be creative.

With Folca that's what I had in mind. Just something small. Maybe ending in a scenario with the boar? A Boar Hunt Scenario? That would be fun and different. :)

Elrohir

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:17 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin wrote:
I assume he meant the Pugel Men, which were built by the Woses I think, and didn't have any power or significance.

Yup PuKel Men .. thats the ones I was talking about. I thought they hada magical significance?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Captain of the Royal Guard - 65pts
F4/4+ S4 D6 A2 W2 C4 M2 W1 F1
War gear: Heavy armor and a sword
Can by: Shield 5pts, Throwing spear 5pts, Horse 10pts
Special Rules: Expert Rider.

Sworn to the King.
The Captain of the Royal Guard has the bodyguard special rule for members of the Rohan Royal family.

Desperate Defense.
Once your force is broken the Captain of the Royal Guard, if within three inches of a king of Rohan who is engaged in combat, can call a free heroic fight. Provide he uses his extra move to reach the Kings fight.

----

Marshal of the Mark - 75pts
F5/4+ S4 D5 A2 W2 C5 M2 W2 F2
War Gear: armor and a sword
Can buy: Heavy armor 10pts, Shield 5pts Throwing spear 5pts, Bow 5pts, Horse 10pts
Special Rules: Expert Rider.

----

Basically the captain of the guard is a better Hama and the Marshal is a generic Theodred or Eomer. Not sure how it would effect the expectations for named characters who hold these titles like Deorwine and Elfhelm. Since you'd expect them to be better still than these nameless plebs. I guess you would have to come up with some nifty special rules but that's a matter for another day.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Dior wrote:
Draugluin wrote:
I assume he meant the Pugel Men, which were built by the Woses I think, and didn't have any power or significance.

Yup PuKel Men .. thats the ones I was talking about. I thought they hada magical significance?

Nah, they were just there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Dior and Draugluin: I did some research. The Pukel Men where made by the Druedain, Men of the White Mountains, to protected sacred places. They were terrifying and instilled fear. Some of them could even come alive! I have no idea how this would work in a game though... Any ideas? :)

Wan Shi Tong: Thanks! That's great! :yay: Elladan suggested a generic Shield Maiden of Rohan profile, to represent women like Morwen Steelsheen etc. I started drawing one up today!

Elladan and I got some ideas together for The Boar Hunt scenario. (We have taken some liberty with this!):

The board is 4x4 feet, mostly woodland (representing the Ferian Wood) with a dense thicket in the middle of the board. The legendary Boar of the Ferian Wood is placed in the middle of the thicket, were he has been cornered. The game is played between the Evil side (composed of a few Orcs and the Boar) and the Good side, (composed of Folca, some King's Huntsmen, and some Hunters and Warriors of Rohan etc.). The Good side must kill all the Orcs and the Boar to win. The Evil side must kill Folca and a percentage of the Rohirrim. Because of Folca's Oath, the Boar cannot be attacked until all of the Orcs have been slain. The Boar counts as a Monstrous Mount, and moves and charges something like a Mumak. He is very strong, his hide is tough, and his tusks are vey sharp. He has been cornered, and he will rip anyone who stands in his way. Swords, shields, horses etc. cannot be used to fight the Boar, only bows and spears. All Rohirrim armed with spears count as armed with Boar Hunting Spears. These count as normal spears but can be used to fight the Boar. They also add a +1 to the user's Defence when they are charged by the Boar. The Rohirrim must rush to kill the Orcs and kill the Boar before it is too late!

Any suggestions or alterations? :)

Elrohir

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:18 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Elladan & Elrohir wrote:
Dior and Draugluin: I did some research. The Pukel Men where made by the Druedain, Men of the White Mountains, to protected sacred places. They were terrifying and instilled fear. Some of them could even come alive! I have no idea how this would work in a game though... Any ideas? :)

Elrohir

Source? Because I don't remember anything like that. I do remember Merry thinking they were scary, but he's a hobbit.

Last edited by Draugluin on Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

At 4x4 feet, the Evil player could just run the orcs in the opposite direction and let the Boar maul the Rohirrim, who aren't allowed to attack it. That part needs a change IMO.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:43 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would suggest dropping the orcs altogether in favor of a purely boar hunting scenario. I'm just not sure a major blood letting would suit the sprit of the scenario well. I like the idea of the other hunters not being able to kill the boar since its their kings hunt and all.

Maybe have footmen and hounds trying to drive the boar out of the woods so the horsemen can catch it. Have the whole bored count as forest and have the patches of forest on the bored be dense woods or something that the king and other horsemen can't ride into. Have the boar take courage tests if it loses a fight like the Mumak and run of in a defection were there aren't any hunters. So the whole thing is more about maneveing your men to drive the boar into Folca.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I really like that idea Wan Shi Tong.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin: Wikipedia mentions them under Druedain.

Isilduhrr: I did forget to mention that some of the Rohirrim could be mounted on horses, so the Orcs wouldn't be able to run far. If the Rohirrim want to hunt the Boar or get the bonuses from their spears, they must dismount. Boars cannot really be hunted on horseback. Also maybe shrink the board to 3x3.

Wan Shi Tong: The Boar Hounds are a good idea! Added the Orcs because we thought the game might be a bit boring if the Evil side only plays the Boar, but you have a good point. In our enthusiasm to have the Orcs we forgot about how you need the dogs to drive the boar to the hunters. Maybe we just take the Evil side out altogether and make it a cooperative or solitair scenario with the Boar moving and charging and fighting randomly?

Thanks for the constructive help!

Elrohir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:28 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

If there was a way to pit two hunting parties against one another with the boar as the prize I would say go for that. But I can't think of how it might be done. If you do try to make the boar function on its own I would advise trying out the scatter die from Warhammer artillery pieces. I've seen them used for something similar before with ghosts that attacked a battle field. The rules were set up so that if there wasn't anything to attack with 6in of a ghost it would role the scatter die and move in the direction that came up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:47 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wan Shi Tong: Yes that is what I was already thinking. Those dice with arrows on them? Maybe there also doesn't have to be one Boar. If you had several then maybe you could still have two sides.

Somehow I still like the idea of the Orcs being included. Will play test all the variations and see what happens.

Elrohir

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:59 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Their magical stone statues only had magic in Unfinished Tales, which makes it technically non-canon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:07 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Draugluin: You can always get technical over these things. I just looked at the broader Middle-earth mythos. There are lots of statues that are spirit possessed (Minas Morgul, Cirith Ungol, etc.), so Pukel Men with magical powers doesn't seem out of line with the general Middle-earth spirit, even if its not explicitly stated in the Lord of the Rings. :)

Edit: I re-read the part about the Pukel Men in the Return of the King. (Chapter 3 The Muster of Rohan) Looks like they could indeed once cause terror, but that their magical powers were now lost. So, although they did indeed have powers according to the book itself, they are out of date in the War of the Ring.

Cheers,

Elrohir

Last edited by Elladan & Elrohir on Fri May 08, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:16 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I was thinking about the hunting scenario a bit and thought of something that might work with it. If you have seen the old Fall of Arnor book from before warbands there was a scenario in it where Aragorn and some of his kin went hunting for trolls in their lairs. The evil player placed tokens face down in the terrain across the bored and whenever a good model entered the terrain the token was turned over and the enemies that had been placed there were reveled. I was thinking something like that might work for the hunt.

You could have the bored be 3 or 4 feet square with 5 to 8 patches of forest across it. Then Have 3 hunting parties start on different board edges and then have to search each of the woods for the Boar. The hunting parties wouldn't need to be to big maybe 6 to 8 models a piece with most on foot. 2 could be lead by Royal Guard and one by a Kings Huntsman with rohan warriors, hounds and out rides making up the bulk of the hunters. The hunting parties could go through the woods hunting the Boar but coming across wargs or lesser boars or outlaws something like that. They would have to fight whatever they found until the Boars token was reveled and it tried to run. (Maybe have the Boar cause a ruckus when it is driven from cover and everything else in the forest is driven out too.)

Once the Boar is found Folca and a small group of cavalry could come on the field to kill the boar before it escapes. While the hunting parties try to run interference with the Boar to cut of its escape. Any good model could charged the Boar but only Folca could strike wounds against it or shoot at it. If the Boar could barge and caused terror along with having a trample style rule it would make pinning it down difficult but not imposable.

Thoughts?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next