It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:25 pm

Post subject: Custom battle ram profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Iron Hills Ram Points 16
Rider: F 3/ M 5 S 3 D 6 A 1 W 1 C 3
Ram: F 2/ M 10 S 4 D 5 A 1 W 1 C 3
Battle Ready: These rams have been through many battles and don’t have to roll for courage when separated from their riders. They can also attack and deal wounds without a rider.
Mountain Creature: Ram were born and raised in the mountains allowing them to move very swiftly over rocky or mountainous terrain. Rams can cross any difficult terrain that is rocky this dose mot include things like swamps and forested area.
Brute force: when a ram charges it is very hard to stop. It still gets cavalry bonuses when its rider is dismounted or dead.

Never created a custom profile before so feel free to give comment on how to improve the profile
 Post subject: Re: Custom battle ram profile
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:19 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I don't like the Battle Ready rule: Wargs are far more bloodthirsty and battle-ready, yet they still have to roll for courage. I feel like the ram should just flee automatically like a horse.
The Rider should be f4 and Courage 4 like all dwarves.
The model is far too cheap. With the Battle Ready rule I'd be looking at a 30ish point price tag - not feasible. When you consider the Mahud Raiders price, and what they pay for their camel, I'd say this statline should be about 21 points.

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Thanks for the advice what do you think about letting the ram stay on the board but no auto pass for courage and boost point points to around 18. I also had the idea just to make things interesting so that the ram had to head immediately in a straight path to another foot soldier dwarf or be mounted as soon as possible allowing it to attack any enemy models in its way.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:06 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

What if they just stuck around for a turn and after 1 full turn if it doesn't get mounted it flees? Or would that just get complicated?

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:54 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sheep are far less intelligent, cunning and courageous than wolves. I honestly don't think the rule fits at all.

Desert you
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:43 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

However I would assume these rams would be a bit more intelligent but the stick around rule seems fair.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:05 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

This is how I see the Ram Riders:

Rider: F4/S3/D7/A1/W1/C4
Ram: F3/S4/D5/A0/W1
Dwarven Armour, Lance, Shield, Armored Ram

-Mountain Creature (Ram)
-Bashing Charge: When charging head-on, the Ram is powerful enough to knock down his enemies. When charging, the Ram Rider may attempt a Bash strike using the Ram Strengh value (the Ram is considered as a 2-handed mace for this purpose). If the Rider knocks his enemy down, he will fight as normal. This rule has no effect on models with S6 or more.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:39 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

That could work, it basically means that you won't be able to get hurt if you successfully bash before the combat meaning they can stick around longer. Either way with that profile they are S4 D7 cavalry and that's nothing to snuff at. How would you price them? I would say 19 or 20 points....

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm waiting for the next source books to come out.

Like the new models of "The Nine" and the battle of the five armies stuff.. which will include the mountain goats or rams that the dwarves rode up the mountain. I wouldn't be surprised if they are considered to be a flying model.. they just bounced up that near vertical incline... better than a goblin.

I'm wondering about the plastic kit for the semaphore signals.. I wonder what that will be like.. I mean in Goblin town we get a scribe on his crane with his potty... surley they will have something for that.

I'm not so cool on the underground worms however... are they seven times bigger than smaug?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:02 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Remember that adding cavalry will take away the only weakness dwarves have left, so you should overprice them by a few points to make up for this.

Desert you
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:23 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Isilduhrr wrote:
Remember that adding cavalry will take away the only weakness dwarves have left, so you should overprice them by a few points to make up for this.

I don't think that we need to overprice. A high-stat cavalry is expensive enough as it is.

A problem I fear will happen, is the lack of mid-range points heros for this new dwarves. Let me explain.
Old Dwarves had Gimli, Balin, Floi, Mardil. Good Heroes for less then 100 points. We should consider even the KC, because it comes with 2 banner bearers. But he also had the powerhouse, Dain and Durin
Now, I'm sure that new Dain will be far over 100 points. King Thorin already is. That could be solve by giving the Champions of Erebors ability to lead warbands. Dori could be an excellent captain, to say the least. But then, one may have way too many leaders (most of them aren't even commanders...heck, some of them didn't even have a single line of dialogue!)
What I fear is that we will be forced to rely either on normal captain or on very expensive tough guy, which is a problem if you are under 800 points.

(I know it seems confusing, but I swear, this tough sounded much simpler in my head!)