All times are UTC

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:52 am

Post subject: Generic Hobbit Hero
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:41 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hi all,
Me and a friend were playing an sbg game with armies we don't usually play: I used all-hero Fellowship and he decided to go for hobbits. We went up to 1000 points and we realized to our horror that the Shire List didn't have enough heroes to make a pure hobbit list at 1000 points viable as they have no generic captain profile, which I'd never realised before as I'd never done more than quickly scan the list when I first bought my Free People Sourcebook. We decided to make up a profile for a Shiriff Captain and I wondered what you all thought of it.

Hobbit Shiriff Captain: 30 points M W F
Move 4"/10cm F3/3+ S2 D3 A2 W2 C4 1 1 1

Resistant to Magic and Throw Stones
 Post subject: Re: Generic Hobbit Hero
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:24 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

It should have one more Strength and Defence, and maybe a courage boost if they're near Frodo? What about an extra will point?

Never gonna run around and
Desert you
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 4:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

2 Attacks and wounds, this is the shire we are talking about 2 wounds at a push maybe but by my beard never 2A
F S D A W C M/W/F
3/3 2 3 1 2 5 1/1/1
20points
throw stones, resistant to magic.

there you go

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:49 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Grungehog wrote:
2 Attacks and wounds, this is the shire we are talking about 2 wounds at a push maybe but by my beard never 2A
F S D A W C M/W/F
3/3 2 3 1 2 5 1/1/1
20points
throw stones, resistant to magic.

there you go

I agree completely. Don't forget that hobbits aren't supposed to be great fighters; their strength lies in numbers. Pippin, Merry and Bandobras all have 2 attacks, but they all are seasoned veterans of war, somethinh most hobbits would have no experience of. If you're really stuck, I'd suggest making a house rule whereby Farmer Maggot can lead hobbits, or possibly Fatty Bolger or Old Bilbo . As is, the shire has 6 heroes, meaning you can have 72 basic troops. Upgrading these to Battlin' Brandybucks or Tookish Hunters could be a useful option. Maybe add in Gandalf the White to make up the points
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:26 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Isilduhrr wrote:
It should have one more Strength and Defence, and maybe a courage boost if they're near Frodo? What about an extra will point?

no hobbit should have S3. Merry and Pippin, the two tallest and toughest hobbit ever (at the time of Scouring of the Shire) are still S2 and D3.
Hobbits have no army, no military training. There shouldn't be 2 attacks models aside from Merry and Pippin.
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:37 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I can get behind a Strength-3, 2-Attack hobbit model, if the goal is to represent them in context. Presumably, a Shirriff captain has had to rap a fair few whippers on the knuckles in his time, and might even have met with a bit of resistance!

If the goal is to play some hobbits defending the Shire from ruffians, weaker orcs and goblins, or roving wargs, then I don't think 2 attacks for a small handful of models is asking too much.

If the goal is to send your hobbits to war against whomever, then sure, in the context of the game at large I'd keep them at a single attack and Strength 2.

Last edited by Hirumith, the Grey Knight on Sun May 31, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hirumith, the Grey Knight wrote:
I can get behind a Strength-3, 2-Attack hobbit model, if the goal is to represent them in context. Presumably, a Shirriff captain has had to rap a fair few whippers on the knuckles in his time, and might even have met with a bit of resistance!

If the goal is to play some hobbits defending the Shire from ruffians, weaker orcs and goblins, or roving wargs, then I don't think 2 attacks for a small handful of models is asking too much.

If the goal is to send your hobbits to war against whomever, then sure, in the context of the game at large I'd keep them at a single attack.

still, S3 is the strenght of the average man,elf,orc and dwarf. Hobbits are not supposed to be strong as other races, they have other talents. They aren't fighters.

A 2 attack model is possible, even if it should be considered that only Merry and Pippin are multi attacks models, and because they are war veterans. Hobbit don't have an army nor the slightest military training. They defeated the ruffians (who were an irregular, mostly uncoordinated force of bandits, not soldiers) by sheer numbers, and would have lost if it wasn't for Merry and Pippin.

A 2 model hobbit, for the game's sake, may be possibile. But, if we value both the game and the lore, there should have been no multi attack model other then the captains Merry and Pippin.
Though, Sam should have 2 attacks and/or a natural better statline. He's the true hero of the story, did tons of stuff.
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:53 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dikey wrote:
still, S3 is the strenght of the average man,elf,orc and dwarf. Hobbits are not supposed to be strong as other races, they have other talents. They aren't fighters.

Which is why I said I think it depends on context. If the profile is intended for "small potatoes" games, in which it's just a handful of hobbits defending their farms from ruffians, goblins, and such, then hobbit heroes that are A2, S3 is fine. If you're talking about dragging hobbits into the world at large, then sure, even the doughtiest Shirriff will pale in comparison to most other armies' soldiers, and A1, S2 is just fine.

LOTR is all about the exceptionality of some fairly ordinary individuals, after all, and really emphasizes heroics, so rules that pump the heroes up a bit, relative to the situation, seem reasonable.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:54 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'll bet Trotter was a Str 3 hobbit. He may even have had 2 attacks....
Trotter
F3/3+ S3 D3 A2 W2 C6 M2 W2 F2
Wargear: bow
Special Abilities: Mighty Hero
;)