All times are UTC

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 1:40 am

Post subject: numenor what could make them more appealing?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:15 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

the numenor just seems a bit boring with its only 1 warrior being on his own. the heros are fine to me 2 really good heros that only cost a little over 100 pts is g8 but the warriors they can lead are just not that fun. i would love to give them the choice of normal horse's (no need of a lance).

how do others feel about numenors and what are others opinion about giving them something that would make them more appealing?

i do understand that they were allied with elves and they are used more for scenarios
 Post subject: Re: numenor what could make them more appealing?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:16 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

There a good theme force to fill a gap for the elves but on there own they're just not viable as a stand alone army.

I agree that a cavalry option would be nice.

But what i would also personally like is an elite option, similar to citadel guard, and a siege machine option, perhaps an early version of the Avenger. And since they were a sea power a 'good' corsair style force would also fit thematically.

A Numenorean coast patrol would look good

Numenor after all was supposed to have a high level of engineering skill that they learned from the elves.

Trade viewtopic.php?f=38&p=378479#p378479
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:28 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

maybe we should make a extra troop profile and a a cheaper unit :P
how about this for the elite

f 4/4 s 3 d 5 a 1 w 1 c 4 6"/14 cm pts 10
war gear: heavy armor,
shield 1pts, two hand weapon 1 pts
spec rules: slay all orcs. reroll 1's when wounding orcs and goblins (not sure about uruk hai since i think they came around later in the story. i don't remember)

numenor Sailor
f 3/4+ s3 d3 a1 w1 c2 pts 5
spear pts1 short bow pts 2

how would that look?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:40 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

yeah they look good but maybe give the sailors a shield option as well

Trade viewtopic.php?f=38&p=378479#p378479
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I have used them as allies before and they were alright. I have considered making a standalone force for them too. I mean Rohan infantry spamming is a thing so why not Numenor?

As for possible improvements to the list I would say that, in keeping with the lore, they need Anarion and some heavy infantry with higher defense and higher strength. They need some strength 3 bows for those new troops and some fast moving infantry like the exiles. I don't think they need Numenorian cavalry though, strictly specking the unfinished tales says they didn't have warhorses themselves and that they didn't use horses for transport either.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The basic Numenorean warrior should be F5 - they stood alongside their Elven allies on pretty much even terms but for game purposes need to outmatch any Evil warrior. As has been mentioned, S3 bows (perhaps Dwarf bows, since the steel bows were no stated as being exceptionally-ranged) are thematic. Dwarf/Mithril armour is a must or at the very least start the Warrior stat line from D4 to represent their superior size and strength. Of course this will not come cheap but then these are finest human warriors Middle Earth has ever known.

For variety by all means surround them with lesser allies, such as Rohirrim for light cavalry and KoMT for mediums, WoMT for medium infantry, maybe Harad figures to represent mercenaries or peasants brought into the battle line, siege weaponry if approaching the Black Gate and Morannon, etc.

The tale of the Last Alliance certainly deserves better game presence than the afterthoughts that GW present them as, especially since they form part of the very first box set (FotR).
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:18 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I would settle for some budget heroes that allow you to modify the numenor warriors.
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:23 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I kind of like the Numenorian profile, its perhaps a bit obsolete, but by no way outdated.

They are not all that fluffy though. They should be way more shooty, and should have one or all of the following; strenght 3 bows, 3+ shooting and/or 50% bows. However, I think I would settle for the access to some trenght 3 bows. Perhaps by paying 2 points for them rather than 1 point for the regular bow?

And I think jdizzy001's suggestion to add some budget/mid level heros is a really good idea. Like Anárion, Isildur's younger brother. Or Anárion's youngest son Meneldil the last man born in Numenor and king of Gondor. Give them some interesting special abilities, and the list will become more intersting, for sure!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:32 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would give them access to str3 range 18 bows (steel bows) and give them an extra Elite profile, or re-vamp the regular warriors and give them a str4 D4 base as someone mentioned earlier.

I would say +1 to strength, +1 D, and +2 points to the basic warrior profile we have now, and for the elites something like:

Guardians of Numenor
F4/4 S4 D6 A1 W1 C4 12pts
Special rules: Bodyguard
Wargear: Heavy armour, Numenorian Blade (Elven blade)
Shield: +1 pt

(I can't decide if they should be base 11 or 12points)

Another mid range hero would also be nice, something that lies between a captain and Isildur.

As for spamming them, I think it could be done say at 500pts you could probably manage 3 captains (not with a lot of kit though) and 3 full warbands. But I think taking Isildur and 2 captains along with maybe 2.5-3 warbands would be fun to play.
Though to be honest, it might be easier (for collection purposes) to buy 3 dale captains and 3-4boxes of warriors of dale and run that instead (they have the same profile)

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I think if you gave them D6, then they'd me so much better. Higher fight would help them a lot too, as F4 is standard now, not high like it used to be. But then they shoul probably be lower than the elves so meh.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

For budget heroes I think it would be fun to see, as mentioned, an archer hero who can give your warriors access to str 3 steel bows, a juggernaut who could give warriors access to D6 (or fury a la Malbeth the Seerer), and a speed hero who would give your troops access to increased movement like Mahur does for Uruks.