All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

Post subject: How to deploy how to make an strategy?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:26 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I have played just a few games and I know this is about skirmish, however, I would like to know where Can I find info about strategies and how to deploy the armies. right know I just played without one. only man to man fight but I have lost because I dont have a plan. I think this is like chess first we need to move the pawns and next the rest of the pieces.(even here there are different strategies that a player have to learn)

is there a book or a blog or something?
 Post subject: Re: How to deploy how to make an strategy?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:12 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

What army do you use?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:47 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Galdorv this is a bit more complicated than chess.

We're going to probably need some more detail on what your issue is....

What army do you use, what scenario, your opponent, size board, points value, etc.

Right now I would like to help but I already have a million ideas in my head wondering exactly how to help you.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:08 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The best advice I can give you is to check out battle reports. Either on this site, or (what I prefer) go on Youtube and look some up there.

Deployment is huge because it dictates how the rest of the game will go. You can bait your opponent into getting in combats that they don't want to be in, split your opponent's army up, or you can get in your own way and cost yourself the match because your combat units can't get in. There's no one definitive strategy to deployment because it's so dependent on the situation, but ultimately it's about balancing four things:
1) Getting yourself in position to reach the objective (whatever it is)
2) Getting your army in a position to be a threat
3) Keeping your vulnerable models safe
4) Disrupting your opponent's strategy

Do that and you're golden, but it's much easier said than done
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:08 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Right now I am collecting Galadhrim Warriors, just 8 high elf and because I dont have too many galadhrim I have 24 warriors of minas tirith. My heroes are Glorfindel, Galadriel, Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, Haldir, Legolas and Elrond. The games that we play are 500pts for a regular game and I just play one for 1000pts.

Well my strategy at this point is keep the archers at rear. And fight with the rest of the guys.

Btw I haven't play with all the models all together. They are the models that I have painted.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:07 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

We need the list you used the last time you played to tell you about its specific deployment possibilities. But I would advise you to focus on getting a playable army together that you like then work out how to use it after. In general though how you deploy has a lot to do with how you want the game to play out and what you think will help you win.

If you'd like to some of the thinking behind how people do deployments and the results of it go watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDws48VSh0U The armies and strategies are talked about at the end a bit so skip forward to that after the deployment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:13 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Ok guys I wanted to play something before post here and for a 500pts I played with

Elrond
High elf warrior shield and spear x4
High elf warrior elven blade x4

total 254

Legolas
Galadhrim warrior bow x4
Galadhrim warrior elven blade x4 plus 1 have a banner
Galadhrim warrior Shield and spear x4

total 246

It was a nice game, pretty solid army. I played against orcs. Elrond was amazing and the elves were really strong in defense. however i think I was lucky because I had advantages using the terrain. I blocked a path between some woods and a fence or barrier. that means It was a funnel so I just had to wait for the orc plus I flanked them when I jumped the barrier with elrond and some galadhrims. at the end I won

I think I could replace Elrond for Glorfindel and save some points because I feel if I wouldn't use the terrain I would be out number.

My questions are
what do you think of the army?
I want to add more troops, in case I want to play for 700pts or more. what do you recommend me to add. I already have 24 warriors of minas tirith that i could use as an ally force, or Should I buy wood elves, Galadhrim or high elves?

Thanks

Last edited by Galdorv on Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:01 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Its site policy to refrain from posting exact points coasts for models here. We are only permitted to go as small are warband totals. You should edit your post before an admin sees its and starts on about it.

As for the matter in question I will have to think about it a bit more yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

mr. dude wrote:
The best advice I can give you is to check out battle reports. Either on this site, or (what I prefer) go on Youtube and look some up there.

Deployment is huge because it dictates how the rest of the game will go. You can bait your opponent into getting in combats that they don't want to be in, split your opponent's army up, or you can get in your own way and cost yourself the match because your combat units can't get in. There's no one definitive strategy to deployment because it's so dependent on the situation, but ultimately it's about balancing four things:
1) Getting yourself in position to reach the objective (whatever it is)
2) Getting your army in a position to be a threat
3) Keeping your vulnerable models safe
4) Disrupting your opponent's strategy
Do that and you're golden, but it's much easier said than done

He's absolutely correct.
I cant tell you, OP, how many times I win games just based off of my deployment. Keep in mind Ive played probably 10x the games these guys have so its not...um....fair? I dont wanan say fair but they are not as versed as me. Basically though you can win or lose a game before first turn priority based off how you deploy. My suggestion is practice a lot. Play a bunch, and take notes throughout the game on where you messed up, what worked, and what to look out for in the future.

One of my favorite things I like to do is basically deploy a certain manner where I have a main goal....if that fails, I have 2-3 minimum backup goals on how the battlefield moves. You can slowly push your opponent to go exactly where you want him to just based off of things he thinks youre doing.

Galdorv wrote:
Right now I am collecting Galadhrim Warriors, just 8 high elf and because I dont have too many galadhrim I have 24 warriors of minas tirith. My heroes are Glorfindel, Galadriel, Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, Haldir, Legolas and Elrond. The games that we play are 500pts for a regular game and I just play one for 1000pts.

Well my strategy at this point is keep the archers at rear. And fight with the rest of the guys.

Btw I haven't play with all the models all together. They are the models that I have painted.

The part I highlighted...I may be wrong in understand what you mean. But at face value, DONT do that. Keep your archers near you. Keep them in a line behind higher defense troops. For example, a Galadhrim with shield backed up by an archer(with spear would be good). This way, the enemy has to shoot through your higher defense lines to get your soft target archers.

In addition, if you say for example have your 'fighting troops' near the center of the board, and your archers on a hill about say 14" to the right or rear, youre gonna get demolished. I cant tell you how many times people do that against me, I send my entire army in, and slaughter the 'fighters' and then the archers take minimum two turns to even get to combat. Then your enemy can send like 2-3 guys to disrupt your reinforcements and your main army has been routed. Ive done it to people many times. Keep your force together until necessary for objectives and whatnot.

And of course with Elves deploy as far back as possible. Ill further comment on the army list later. I have to go for now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:34 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Another tip about the archers is to have them in a separate force off to one (or split on both) side. Never put your archers behind yours lines if you have a spear block. By having them on one or both flanks, you can have some measure of protection on your flanks, you can snipe out spear and banner support and in a pinch surround your opponent.

Glorfindel and a few extra elves is always worth it. Elro d is good, but Glorfindel on horse is a beast in his own right. 7F and 7D are pretty amazing.