All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

Post subject: Re: 800 point no allies tournament
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:59 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Yeah man nice army! I agree with Legion. I practiced the scenarios and although I have gone 4-0 it was just locally and I still made countless mistakes. A lot to learn.

In those 4 games I only captured the max vps 1 time and got only a couple once :/

Legion-What army did you use for the first NOVA?

I brought Isengard with some Warg Cavalry. I didnt do too well but it was a blast! I am certainly going again this year. What army did you play?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Kardoosh wrote:
Thanks. The best part of this list is its already painted.

I look forward to hearing what you say about scenarios.

Is not having a true banner a problem?

The thing I like about the scenarios is that they use point values rather than number of models. Last year they did it with domination and I personally think it balanced Goblin town a lot! Though I'm not sure if I saw too many Horde armies.

This year, there seems to be a focus on that again with two scenarios doing it. Though there is only 4 scenarios total this year instead of five...maybe because of the points increase?

My advice on the one scenario I played (the first one) is to take out the big stuff first. This scenario rewards you heavily for taking out stuff like a balrog. Actually the DCHL just did a batrep on this not too long ago. I'm not a veteran of the game, but this scenario seems to cater toward fighting big stuff.

As for the banner, dont worry about it at all. None of the scenarios reward you for having a banner. They dont even have To the Death on the packet. So no big deal if you dont have one.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:28 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Do u find that people fight shield wall clash a lot.

Big guys up front. Spear support. Banner. Support guy.

Then guys to guard flank.

What armies don't do that? Do some just hold back and try to thi you out then try to outflank and trap?

Do most people use might for heroics or adjusts?

Thanks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

For what I found:

- shield wall its common but mainly front guy/spear support banner nearby
- guys to guard flank they tend to use some left overs or cav for it or a nearby monster
- hunter orcs dont do that, they dont need spears, they overwhelm with numbers, rivendell and rohan dont do it either (any cav army basically), durin´s folk dont do it cause they got no spears but they do shieldwall, let heroes take it all or amass khazad/iron guard.
- most people call heroics rather than adjusts, unless they got things like aragorn, boromir, azog or thing that need to win combats...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:19 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This really depends on the army. Even for armies that do shieldwalls, they all do it differently. Some armies are better at holding the line while others are better at pressing forward. And some armies use shieldwalls but have so many bows, that they prefer to sit back and shoot with them.

So even if you play against a shieldwall opponent, there is a high chance that none of them will play the same.

With that being said, this once again comes down to a scenario. If the scenario forces you to move, then you will be moving. So even archer armies like Mirkwood will be forced forward (whom usually hold back)

If you dont want to be crushed, ALWAYS play toward the scenario! Simply destroying an opponent may actually lose you a game if you are not paying attention
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

legion wrote:
LordoftheBrownRing wrote:
Yeah man nice army! I agree with Legion. I practiced the scenarios and although I have gone 4-0 it was just locally and I still made countless mistakes. A lot to learn.

In those 4 games I only captured the max vps 1 time and got only a couple once :/

Legion-What army did you use for the first NOVA?

I brought Isengard with some Warg Cavalry. I didnt do too well but it was a blast! I am certainly going again this year. What army did you play?

Cool I probably saw you but I didnt play you. I had the Hobbits. Haha.