All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:50 pm

Post subject: Fury, and the tactics of it as an 'auto include'/terror
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

So I have thought of this a lot lately. When I first started SBG like most players I think, I severely underrated fury in my own mind.

Now, if I take Mordor with Orcs, goblins, or Isengard I automatically include it every single time.

Ive experimented with some armies in the past and again recently. I tried a mainly orc army, with some black numenoreans.

All it managed to make me feel is that I was stupid for taking the Black Numenoreans. In a tournament sense, most armies are not going to fail terror. Elves, Dwarves, body guard, fury, watchers, Erkebrand, war horns etc.....I find terror less amusing the more I use it.

So basically I thought to myself just take out the B num's and put in orcs to round out the force. Though unlikely, they were charged by Erkenbranded troops and got 6'd on dice rolls quite immediately believe it or not.
It happens. But that made me consider orcs a better choice for that army.

Which leads me on to my second point....[u]do you go all or nothing[/u]?

In other words, do you take all orc Mordor armies, or mostly ones with a mix of troops I.E. Black Guard, B nums, some orcs, cav, trolls etc?

Because it seems to me the courage of those armies greatly depend on the ringwraiths, and high courage(which is often lacking from the other heroes of evil).

If I could sum it up, what are your ideas on the following:

1-If you take 2/3 orcs, do you believe you generally have to go ALL orc?
2-If you take Mordor, Isengard, etc, do you believe fury is absolutely automatic?
3-How much success have you had in non furied evil armies as such?

For myself to answer simply, I now believe it is all the furied race, or few.
I believe yes fury is an auto incluce
Finally, Ive had little success with those non furied evil armies. It depends sometimes of course, but generally I think its better to use it.

Post subject: Re: Fury, and the tactics of it as an 'auto include'/terror
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:00 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I am a big fan of fury. I will always have at least one shaman in my list for that bonus. It seems to be one of the biggest advantages you get as an evil player. The ability to negate damage and save your troops always proves invaluable to me in my experience, especially if you channel it. My biggest flaw is remembering the fact I've cast it, getting to involved in the combat and taking off handfuls of models and then face palming when I remember haha.

I think a varied list is essential in evil armies as orcs are not an all round choice, I think they require the hitting power of allies or monsters for support.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:57 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Definitely love fury.

I always brought an isengard shaman for my black guard. He's also handy since he gets a spear. I have him support Shagrat or a BG Captain.

For the morannon I take Kardush.

I wish they had a Uruk Shaman for Mordor list.

Some tournaments don't allow allies.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:41 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Fury is the reason why Groblog and at least two Shamans are my first purchases for any Moria army.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:41 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

With my evil armies of the first 3 warbands to any list (unless I'm playing harad) it will have a shaman, I find them to be somewhat the quintessential "evil" staple. Morannons, goblins, orcs and Uruks (though I don't play isengard) they all benefit hugely from them, and moria with groblog and a shaman is just icing.

And even on the more obscure cases (Easterling War Priest, Druzhag, and Malbeth though he doesn't help with courage) They are fairly defining items.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

and dont forget fury not only saves your models from wounds, also provides them with fearless bubble, pretty handy to charge terror caused models where most of your lines got low courage which can be a bummer or in breaking point here fury saves a large chunk of your army in a row...

I do roll alot 5s so generally I spend most of the time 2 will points for channeled fury like 90% of the time.
I risk just 1 dice for channeled when I got 2 shamans and depending on occasions or bit more gamble how lucky I feel about it.

best model to channel fury in game atm its Kardush cause he can sacrifice orcs and bump his will up, hes even hard to shut down by a nazgul who cast sap will, which generally its the end of any shaman field effectiveness.. this guy can eat up that sap will and next turn get back into fury lool...poor nazgul who wasted will points to shut him down...although a vital shut down in occasions can be usefull.