All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:41 pm

Post subject: How much firepower is enough?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So please help, how much firepower is enough for a good force to take?

Looking for points of view and also any high firepower list idea's for good forces, also if mobility is required or static fire points!
Thank you all in advance. :)
 Post subject: Re: How much firepower is enough?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:01 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Firepower, as in, ranged weapons such as bows and throwing spears?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:10 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Spike117 wrote:

Yes sir,

At current I've 20 rangers with bows at 800pts!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:37 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Steven bonnar wrote:
Spike117 wrote:

Yes sir,

At current I've 20 rangers with bows at 800pts!

How large is the rest of your force? Half of your force may be armed with bows.

Also, what's your playstyle? If you're going to try to take cover and shoot guerilla style, a large number of bow-armed troops would work. Also, certain forces can take as many bows as they want, namely Grey Company; which I believe has rangers in it.

If you want to rely on more traditional infantry-based tactics, then you only need a small force of bows to screen your troops and provide support. Take too many away and they're not effective enough to make a difference, and add too many, and your main force won't be strong enough.

It's all really up to you and how you play.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:46 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

To answer the question, no firepower can be enough. Bows are not necessary to win the scenarios. In many of them, it is so advantageous to start on the centre line or right near the middle that even if you have taken archers, they need to be crammed onto an objective anyway. In addition, having men shooting while your main lines are engaged means that you are missing out on having extra numbers in combat and so lose opportunities to trap, surround or even just hold back your opponent.

However, it really all depends on your play-style. If you have no bows, then you'd better have something to make up for it like large numbers of troops, big heroes, high quality troops, or all of the above ideally.

Personally, as you have probably guessed by now, I am not someone who likes to rely on bowfire to win me games. It relies too much on chance when you're only hitting 50% of the time on a 4+ and then need 6s to wound everything, so only do a wound 1 in 12 times on average, and that is when there is a clear shot, so in the ways halve this chance again.

However, I do like to have a few (6-8) bows in my armies so that I can always shoot someone like Aragorn off his horse before combat if needs be. That's how I like to play, with a few of my spearmen having the bows, but it really is down to the personal preferences of each player.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My current list at the moments is-

Faramir, bow-80
Cirion-55
Beregond-25
Damrod-20
Madril-55
21 rangers, spears-189
34 men, shield-272
6 men, shield, spear-66
2 banners-50

11 might, 2 banners, 66 men(41 D6) 24 bows(3+) 1 (3+) longbow.

The main reason I'm asking such a broad question is because I know shooting won't win me a game, and if it did it's because I focused all my shots at Aragorn to kill him before he smashes my lines!
Or to blunt a cav charge by killing off the opponents horses/wargs/etc.

Thank you guys for the info so far too. :)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:25 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I always say, the main advantage of bowfire is psychological. The fact that you have a chance of dismounting my scary hero is enough to adjust how I'm going to move, and you can really manipulate me with that.

You can kill off a model or two per turn, just know your targets. Some lists get devastating with bowfire, don't mess with Hobbits or Woses because they will ruin your tux, but for the most part it is the psychological boost they give you.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:48 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

mr. dude wrote:
I always say, the main advantage of bowfire is psychological. The fact that you have a chance of dismounting my scary hero is enough to adjust how I'm going to move, and you can really manipulate me with that.

This is gold. Even just a few shots mean that there is a chance that your big heroes will be dismounted if you leave them on the front lines, ready to charge (where they should be). Archers force them to stay protected behind their own troops, and so the biggest threats that the enemy has may be out of vital combats for the first turn or two, which you must really try to capitalise on.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yeah bows did little to nothing against me the entire 5 games at Nova.

Depends on army and scenario. High Elves did the most damage in a scenario where we deployed on opposite Corners.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:49 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

So after playing my 1st game in over 3/4 years I ran my gondor vs a mirkwood elf army and found that 22 ranger bows are plenty if you fire 1st against D4 enemies!
My rangers killed 7-9 elf archers 1st turn and forced my opponent to retreat his force away to the other end of the board and off the objectives.
faramir killed a knight before it could engage and survived 3 rounds of return fire from tureil and 3 mirkwood rangers due to in the way tests costing 2 warriors of gondor there lives.