All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:09 am

Post subject: Wood Elf Sentinels
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:16 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hello all, I just picked up a pack of Wood Elf Sentinel proxies. I was wondering how good they were and how they should be used; they are more for a friend then for me, but I’m curious as to their strengths and weaknesses.

Post subject: Re: Wood Elf Sentinels
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:14 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wood Elf Sentinels can be very useful and effective models to use.

First off, they are very well equipped, as an Elven Cloak is always useful. Second, they have bows, so they can contribute that way as well. Third, they have 2 attacks at F5, so if they do end up in close combat, they can hold their own. And lastly, their spells give them a unique spot in the game. While they have the ability to cast 3 different spells - all for free mind you, no will required - it's their Eldigar Madrigal spell that really makes them a key piece. That spell makes an enemy model take a courage test, and if they fail, they move their FULL movement at the Sentinels behest. And while it's tempting to move banners and other models away from the action, I like to use it to pull an unsuspecting model toward my troops, then move forward with a hero, the Sentinel, and a couple other models, trap it, call a Heroic Combat, slaughter him and then move everyone onto another target !

They also serve as nice bodyguard type until for Galadriel or other somewhat vulnerable heroes, as they can move one enemy away and then charge a 2nd with their 2 attacks.

One obvious weakness is their lowly D3 - if they lose a fight, they are likely going down - and that's 25 points down the drain !

Bottom line, I really like them, and I usually try to include 2 or even 3 of them in every 700 point or higher Wood Elf list that I put together.

Plus, they are really great looking models. Old LOTR style Metal, one piece easy to pop right in with no assembly, and you can paint them in a number of different color schemes and they all usually look great.

Give them a go and see if you like them !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:10 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ja33 wrote:
Wood Elf Sentinels can be very useful and effective models to use.

First off, they are very well equipped, as an Elven Cloak is always useful. Second, they have bows, so they can contribute that way as well. Third, they have 2 attacks at F5, so if they do end up in close combat, they can hold their own. And lastly, their spells give them a unique spot in the game. While they have the ability to cast 3 different spells - all for free mind you, no will required - it's their Eldigar Madrigal spell that really makes them a key piece. That spell makes an enemy model take a courage test, and if they fail, they move their FULL movement at the Sentinels behest. And while it's tempting to move banners and other models away from the action, I like to use it to pull an unsuspecting model toward my troops, then move forward with a hero, the Sentinel, and a couple other models, trap it, call a Heroic Combat, slaughter him and then move everyone onto another target !

They also serve as nice bodyguard type until for Galadriel or other somewhat vulnerable heroes, as they can move one enemy away and then charge a 2nd with their 2 attacks.

One obvious weakness is their lowly D3 - if they lose a fight, they are likely going down - and that's 25 points down the drain !

Bottom line, I really like them, and I usually try to include 2 or even 3 of them in every 700 point or higher Wood Elf list that I put together.

Plus, they are really great looking models. Old LOTR style Metal, one piece easy to pop right in with no assembly, and you can paint them in a number of different color schemes and they all usually look great.

Give them a go and see if you like them !

Sounds like they’re pretty strong! Here’s the thing. So basically a group of us are doing a campaign where you can recruit armies at 200, 300, 450, and 600 (and you start with a max model army). And I got 20 of the guys, but other than that I have a few Stormcallers, 10 Galadhrim Warriors (palace guard proxy) 12 Wood Elves, Legolas, and 3 ents (the lists are different). When I was drafting the army for the Slves I saw that they’re numbers seemed thin with the Sentinels. Do you think they should really be 25 points? I mean, what if they could only cast 2 of their spells a turn total or something? Would that justify cutting them down? Or are they truly worth 25?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:07 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

20 Sentinels ? Thats a bit much, lol....Most I've ever seen in one list is 5 I think...

As for their points, I think they are costed about right. Basic Wood Elf, Elf Bow, Elven Cloak, 2 Attacks, 3 Spells. Note however you can only cast 1 spell per turn, same as all other casting profiles.

If they were cheaper - say 20 points - I'd bet they'd be seen everywhere, instead of just popping up here and there.

As for your choices of models, you've got the basics of a great Wood Elf army, but I'd suggest jumping on GW and buying the the Lothlorien Battle Company - you get 12 more Wood Elves and 12 Galadhrim Warriors for $49 US. And then I'd also pickup Rumil for $12 US for sure - he's one of the best profiles in the game. Then if you've got the money, I'd recommend buying the following also:
- Guards of the Galadhrim Court for $26, come in a 4 pack, and they are awesome models, and are F6 and can pike support !
- Galadriel for $16 US, you can then use her in any of the her 3 profiles
- Haldir for $12 US
- Celeborn with Armour for $12 US

All great models and very good profiles in the game. If you've got the money, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:27 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ja33 wrote:
20 Sentinels ? Thats a bit much, lol....Most I've ever seen in one list is 5 I think...

As for their points, I think they are costed about right. Basic Wood Elf, Elf Bow, Elven Cloak, 2 Attacks, 3 Spells. Note however you can only cast 1 spell per turn, same as all other casting profiles.

If they were cheaper - say 20 points - I'd bet they'd be seen everywhere, instead of just popping up here and there.

As for your choices of models, you've got the basics of a great Wood Elf army, but I'd suggest jumping on GW and buying the the Lothlorien Battle Company - you get 12 more Wood Elves and 12 Galadhrim Warriors for $49 US. And then I'd also pickup Rumil for $12 US for sure - he's one of the best profiles in the game. Then if you've got the money, I'd recommend buying the following also:
- Guards of the Galadhrim Court for $26, come in a 4 pack, and they are awesome models, and are F6 and can pike support !
- Galadriel for $16 US, you can then use her in any of the her 3 profiles
- Haldir for $12 US
- Celeborn with Armour for $12 US

All great models and very good profiles in the game. If you've got the money, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I meant that like as a group they could only cast a certain amount, so that when they are fielded in the Max model army they wouldn’t be casting like 20 spells lol.

That’s the issue though, the bank haha. That’s why I bought 20 for $15, seemed like the best option. I suppose I could use one more captain profile as well, I’ll take a look at GW.

Also forgot to mention I have a Galadriel profile for a faction leader but he has sword shield and armor.

If I get around to it, I’ll post the current army lists, but I’ll have to convert it into LotT terms because the campaign is different lore.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:32 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

The Army Lists (all bolds, underlines, and italics from Google Drive lost):

Woodland Levy- 200pts
All elven citizens are trained and capable of taking up arms when threatened.
Warband I
1x Silvan Mage
12x Silvan Levy
2x Sentries

Glade Garrison- 300pts
When simple levies fail, the Silvans can fall back upon the Glade Guards.
Warband I
1x Watcher
10x Silvan Infantry
5x Sentinels

Woodland Throng- 450pts
Silvan lords can muster very powerful groups of warriors, casters, and beyond, if the need arises.
Warband I
1x Watcher
5x Silvan Levy
5x Silvan Infantry
Warband II
1x Silvan Mage
1x Treefolk

Silvan Warhost- 600pts
It is rare that the Silvans march to war. That’s why it’s so dangerous if they do.
Warband I
1x Silvan Mage
1x Treefolk
12x Silvan Levy
Warband II
1x Watcher
2x Sentinels
10x Silvan Infantry

Army of the Forest Lord
The Silvan lord is given the right to call upon every elf to fight and serve
Warband I
1x Lord Kavothean
10x Silvan Infantry
Warband II
1x Silvan Mage
1x Treefolk
10x Sentinels
Warband III
1x Silvan Mage
2x Treefolk
10x Sentinels
Warband IV
1x Watcher
12x Silvan Levy

Here’s the key for all the names:

Faction Leader

Lord Kavothean Cottorn
Profile- Galadriel (with added sword and shield, D7)
Lore- He was a prince when the Elves met their first human. He has seen the rise and fall of the Durian empire and borne witness to countless world events; and finally he has decided to enter world affairs in full.

Commander List

Watcher- 1x, 100pts
Profile- Legolas w/cloak
Lore- Keen-eyed, veteran archers keep the Silvan garrisons alert and make sure not a single hostile foot comes back out of the forest.

Silvan Mage- 2x, 60pts
Profile- Galadhrim Stormcaller (can add any other additional spell for a Casting Roll of 4+, D6)
Lore- Silvan mages have great power and can call upon natural forces to aid them in times of war.

Infantry

Sentry- 20x, 25pts
Profile- Sentinel (D4 instead of D3)
Lore- A secretive guard, able to sing magical songs, hide amongst the brush, and eliminate a foe before he knows what hits him.

Silvan Levy-12x, 8pts
Profile- Wood Elves
Lore- Technically a militia, Silvan levies are so fast and skillful they might as well be scouts.

Silvan Infantry- 10x, 9pts
Profile- Galadhrim Warrior (D5 instead)
Lore- If all else fails, a Silvan infantry cohort will skewer any invader who dares trespass.

Creatures

Treefolk- 3x, 190pts
Profile- Ent
Lore- Magical forest spirits, the treefolk are incredibly dangerous in battle, defending nature with a vengeance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:34 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Last thing, should note that this isn’t the faction I’ll be controlling. Still want them to be optimal though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:12 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I can see how that many of the buggers would case problems but given that the are not a front line sort of unit I think it might balance out. I have only ever used them sparingly and with mixed results. When it comes to spamming a think the court guard are just a more effective choice. Your armies look like they would do decently but in keeping with how mirkwood was portrayed in the appendix and unfinished tales. I think it would be worth give a go.