All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:15 am

Post subject: Re: Which units are the big winners? Big losers?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:28 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

McGarnacle wrote:
Cave Dragon wrote:
McGarnacle wrote:
Don't forget Serpent Guard get the effect as well, so they become an attractive Fight 4 option. Both cav units are also solid because with lances and poison they hit hard and are really cheap.

Expensive unit, as you still pay for a poison spear.

Ah, good point

Yeah, fight value only matters on a tie, so I would just go with a warrior mob for spears. They get poison as per army bonus.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:29 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I would disagree, serpent guard are only 1 point more than regular warriors and still get the benefit of poison. Having that F4 behind your main line of archers to form up a battle line is pretty good.

I used to run a force consisting of mostly serpent guard and regular warriors with bow, with some fatties and watchers thrown in, and it did very well. You get a hoard of troops that (even though lightly armoured) can hold their own in a fight of battle lines thanks to the F4 and re-rolling wounds.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:37 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

WhoelsebutHaldir wrote:
I would disagree, serpent guard are only 1 point more than regular warriors and still get the benefit of poison. Having that F4 behind your main line of archers to form up a battle line is pretty good.

I used to run a force consisting of mostly serpent guard and regular warriors with bow, with some fatties and watchers thrown in, and it did very well. You get a hoard of troops that (even though lightly armoured) can hold their own in a fight of battle lines thanks to the F4 and re-rolling wounds.

I could have sworn they were two points more. My bad. Yeah, they would be worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:04 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Cave Dragon wrote:
WhoelsebutHaldir wrote:

I could have sworn they were two points more. My bad. Yeah, they would be worth it.

I think they are doubly better because since so many Fight 3 troops have been buffed (WoMT, haradrim, Easterlings), plus the increased cost of elites, the new meta might very well be Fight 3.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:06 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

McGarnacle wrote:
Cave Dragon wrote:
WhoelsebutHaldir wrote:

I think they are doubly better because since so many Fight 3 troops have been buffed (WoMT, haradrim, Easterlings), plus the increased cost of elites, the new meta might very well be Fight 3.

And Osgiliath vets got nothing. Not even shield-wall. That is a big loss.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I've wrote my opinion about the Forces of Good and updated it a few seconds ago.
Something I totally looked over is the improvement of 'warrior' Gandalf the White!

I will write my opinion about the changes from the forces of evil sometime soon, probably 'in bits', due to work and stuff like that.

If I forgot something, I missed a nice new rule or change or if you have another opionon about some heroes/warriors, I like to hear it. I'm curious about tactics you have in mind for the new profiles!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:14 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Just a side note; osgiliath vets are C4 base now and they have that F value special rule. So near Boromir with banner and their army bonus they effectively become high elves. I think there are better options in the list but that is something to keep in mind.

If this was to be our end then I would have them make SUCH AN END as to be worthy of remembrance
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:45 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

WhoelsebutHaldir wrote:
Just a side note; osgiliath vets are C4 base now and they have that F value special rule. So near Boromir with banner and their army bonus they effectively become high elves. I think there are better options in the list but that is something to keep in mind.

Yeah, I think this is a good point, especially considering Boromir with banner seems to be the way to go now. I think it will largely depend on how good Fight 5 vs Fight 4 is in the meta.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

McGarnacle wrote:
WhoelsebutHaldir wrote:

Yeah, I think this is a good point, especially considering Boromir with banner seems to be the way to go now. I think it will largely depend on how good Fight 5 vs Fight 4 is in the meta.

I played against an army with Boromir with banner and lots of Osgiliath Veterans on Sunday... Fight 5 is nasty, especially when my opponent seemed to roll a 6 with almost every banner re-roll. :shock: