All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 8:57 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign -behind the scenes (15/6 2nd Hal
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:51 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow!! These battle reports are going to be fantastic!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:18 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Sticky Fingersss wrote:
Wow!! These battle reports are going to be fantastic!

Indeed they will be, even more so than they have been already.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:04 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I've just caught up on your thread and the work is phenomenal.
The wall of Minas Tirith is looking the part though I would also look to some small green patches for the weathering, worth a try at least and see how this comes out against the white / pale grey.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks all for great comments! We certainly hope to entertain you with our battle reports from Moria! @Gandlaf, there is a little bit of green weathering powder on the bottom tiles, but I'll experiment in adding more. Certainly, the walls of Helm's Deep will be quite greenish with moss...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:07 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Some status update on the Helm's Deep project... after lots of planning, it was time to do some cutting of foamboard and blue styrofoam. I wanted to erect a skeleton of the Deeping Wall and the Hornburg just to eyeball the overall dimensions. Here is an overall pic - note that the ramp is not yet done, but the paper template approximates the location and the length:

A close-up on the culvert area... the Deeping stream is now but a cut in the base foam - I will cover it with putty and plaster cloth later, followed by sand for stream bed + Woodland Scenics' realistc water. The Deeping Wall structure is made from 5mm foamboard; the top layer is 6mm Depron to which the stonework will be embossed. The wall will be layered with thin cardboard and 3mm Depron (again, with embossed stonework). The parapets will be 2cm tall, and I will cut them from blue foam later. All the stairs will also be cut from blue foam of a suitable thickness. You can see the replacement parts in the background for the destroyed Deeping Wall... the exact fit will be determined later once the wall is fully skinned with embossed stonework.

Here is a closer look at the Hornburg - the paper print of the stonework is taken from a screen capture, and shows the approximate stonework (plus works as a colouring study). The statue of Helm Hammerhand is by Eaglemoss, as is the regular Rohan warrior, who will unfortunately lose his upper torso to depict the broken statue as seen in the film.

I also got a pair of statues from the Armies of Middle-Earth Playset, but they are too big for the scale - as is the AOME Helm's Deep main gate. Too bad - they are quite accurate replicas of the movie Helm's Deep details. I can sell them on if someone is interested...

More pics on the planned interiors in the next post...

Here's a close-up of the gate area. A careful study of the screenshots revealed that there is most likely a staircase down from the parapet walk level to the gate level on both sides - I will use Hirst Arts blocks here.

Here's a closer look at the inner courtyard. I have not yet started on the Great Hall, so the facade is only a real-size printout of the paper template. There will be three rows of colums after all, just like in the movie.

Thanks to Galanur's tip about the computer game, the Hornburg ground floor will feature a full stable, also visible from the side (now, of course, there's not much to see):

There will also be plenty of room in the back for a sizable portion of the Glittering Caves:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:24 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The Hornburg is quite tall, so there is plenty of room inside the levels. In addition to the stables, I will add the armory (as seen in the computer game and in the movie), plus also a kitchen under the inner courtyard. There will also be a small bedroom, perhaps for the chef and his assistant.

There will be two spiral staircases; the first connects the stables to the Great Hall above, and also to the room above the column courtyard (i.e. the room whose windows are in the Keep facade). Another staircase is behind a hidden door, and connects the stables to the Glittering Caves below. The former staircase is marked by the Pringles can, and the latter by the duct tape roll. I will use Hirst Arts blocks to construct the spiral stairs.

The behind-the-facade-windows room gets to be Erkenbrand's room - after all, he's the master of the Hornburg. The size of the room can be seen in this photo:

Here are some Thomarillion furniture to go with the small bedroom near kitchen on the ground level, as well as with Erkenbrand's room upstairs.

Here is a nice laser-cut cart, and Thomarillion tools & trough to go into the stables:

A weapons bench and a tavern table from Thomarillion for the Armory (I will also scratch-build some weapon / shield racks):

... and the photo also shows a Ral Partha banquet table for the Great Hall. A number of Thomarillion torches will be used all around Hornburg. In addition, plenty of barrels and chests will be strewn here and there across the Hornburg:

I will make the tower break into three parts for easier transport and storage; I will insert a small speaker and an MP3 player inside the tower to replicate the sound of the horn of Helm Hammerhand... it can be used both in gameplay, and I'll have it on a loop to play it, say, every 15 minutes or so during the model show next year (provided I finish the terrain and the associated Isengard & Rohan figures in time).

Speaking of figures, here's a starting photo taken during a hot summer day - what could be more enjoyable way to spend it than sit in a shade on a balcony cleaning up Isengard figures:

After a relatively fast start with warg riders, I got bogged down by Finecast crossbow Uruk-hai...

I have also a casting station in the garage - some parts are used in Helm's Deep, the most goes to ruined Osgiliath - the construction of that will begin much later (but at least I have lots of blocks by then).

That's it for now - stay tuned for more Helm's Deep later in July...
 Post subject: Re: Celevue's LotR campaign -behind the scenes (3/7 Helm's D
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Oh damn.. this is so beautiful! I'd sell my soul to the one ring to see that live when it's finished! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:15 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

You are making Great progress! 8)
What are the large custom molds?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:00 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Impressive to say the least. The attention to detail is amazing. Do you work ? As I'm struggling to see how you have the time

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:12 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

@Gandalf: Must get the money to buy all those mini's from somwhere :p
@Celevue: Top work mate! It's looking very promising and might turn out in one of the most detailled versions of Helms Deep i have seen so far. Keep it up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:51 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I am gobsmacked... so much detail and sound! I envy you having all that space to work in - that is my biggest failure.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:40 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Jaw dropping scope one this one, look forward to seeing this finished ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:42 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Can I just live in your terrain?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:21 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Gandlaf the Grey wrote:
Impressive to say the least. The attention to detail is amazing. Do you work ? As I'm struggling to see how you have the time

That was my thought as well

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:27 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hi & thanks for all the kind comments!

@Oldman Willow, the large mold-looking things are actually meant for baking bread, but I use them as mixing bowls for plaster & hydrocal. It's easy to clean them as they are made of silicone. I'm still in the planning stage for doing a custom mold myself for Helm's Deep columns and assorted Amon Hen bits (it will be relatively small mold).

@Gandlaf & JamesR, I do have a day job - but luckily I can devote a considerable share of my off-duty time for this hobby right now. I try to get in a couple of hours' worth of hobby time every day. Quite tricky in the summertime, however, and there will be break of a couple of weeks coming up...

It's always a juggling act - there never seems to be enough time for all the fun things one would want to do. Every hour of building Helm's Deep is away from building & painting armies, every hour of LotR work is away from building real space models, every hour of any kind of modeling is away from my astronomy hobby, or from watching movies. In June I made a special effort in getting the rough structure of Helm's Deep done, so that I can focus on individual areas in a more relaxed pace. I've set a deadline for the end of next February for the Helm's Deep terrain plus Rohan + Isengard armies - if the deadline holds, I can take the terrain into the local model show. But if it won't hold, that's not the end of the world. Besides, I do need the Amon Hen terrain sooner for the campaign than Helm's Deep - so I will devote more time for those bits come fall...

Oh, here's one more pic for the Helm's Deep interior - these are Thomarillion and Ral Partha bits I'll use for the kitchen area:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:07 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well you truly do have quite a gift for this sort of thing. Your work is amazing

MiniWargaming
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:02 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Really enjoying following this and Oldman Willows scenery builds, both truly epic, thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:19 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Absolutely stunning work, very humbling and inspirational. Oh to have that much time and talent to devote to the hobby.

Free SBG fanzine: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29569
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Wow. This is so good. I look forward to seeing this completed. :yay:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:03 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Absolutely amazing work! Truly inspiring, I can't wait to see more! Really looking forward to the Osgiliath board, I am beginning to start work on mine :)
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 620 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 31  Next