All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:20 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: To9G 2010 - SEPTEMBER
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:38 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ladies and Gentlemen, a New Year dawns, and so, a new To9G begins. Welcome to this year's tale of Epic proportions. War of the Ring it is, and hopefully, over the next 12 months, we will amuse, entertain and inspire a few of you to pick up a brush again.

So that everyone is clear, here are the rules again.

THE RULES

- Tale of 9 Gamers to run from Jan 1st 2010 to Dec 31st 2010.

(Makes sense, considering that it is a year long challenge...)

- There are no budget restrictions. Yes, it's a big one, so I'll say it again. THERE ARE NO BUDGET RESTRICTIONS.

(Based on this years budget, it would take a full months cash to add one all metal company, never mind formation to your army. That is going to look pretty miserable at the end of the year with 12-13 companies all lined up. By removing the budget, you have the choice to include either plastic or metal models, and can tailor your force based on your backlog, or what you want to buy, without limiting yourself.)

- Monthly target is a minimum of 3 options. There is no maximum limit, but, be warned, if you paint 20 companies one month, you still need to paint another 3 the next.

An option consists of either one infantry company (including any command models), one cavalry company (including any command models), one Epic Hero (including mounted option if applicable), one Legendary Formation company (including an command models), one monster or one siege weapon.

(Rather than go with a budget, the reason explained above, I chose to impose a (variable) model count. This means that, in any given month, your painting commitment is between 3 and 24 models depending on your choices. Be warned that painting all the Epic Heroes straight off the bat will force you to paint greater numbers further down the line. I do have a way of mitigating this, all will be explained. Also, of note, even choosing to paint 3 infantry companies (24 models being the highest number of miniatures for a minimum requirement) works out at one box of plastics, which is cheaper than this years monthly budget. We won't go into the mathematics of 8 blisters...)

-As the site is not run by Games Workshop, you can use models from any manufacturer.

(Well, pretty obvious really. We aren't constrained by this being a GW forum, so we are free to use an suitable models in our forces, providing you aren't planning on entering any GW sanctioned tournaments. That means if you want to use Warlord's Celts as Rohirrim go ahead, Foundry's Orcs as, well, Orcs, be my guest. Some manufactures models may work out on a different pricing scale to GW, so the astute amongst you might well be able to sort out a very cheap army.)

- Armies must remain War of the Ring legal at all times, Common:Rare company and Formation limits apply, as does the 25% Allies allowance.

(Well, it is kinda pointless taking a year to paint an army that you can't use...)

- Armies must be at least 2000 points by the end of the year.

(Nice round number, but it also allows the use of powerful Ally options.)

- All participants will include an up to date army roster each month, including their newly painted models, and what they plan to paint the next month, as well as noting their Common to Rare companies and Formations, and the amount of points spent on allies.

(Because even if I can't make you paint, I can force you to do some book-keeping.)

- Before Jan 14th, all participants must submit picture of unpainted miniatures and army roster for Jan and Feb.

(Again, Jan/Feb is combined, both to get armies off to a good start, and to break you in gently. Well, actually, one one of those is true.)

- By Feb 28th, all participants must submit a picture of March's models. This will be repeated for each month, with all participants having posted their new minis to be completed by the last day of the month.

(Just so we can see how the army is evolving.)

- By Feb 28th all participants will also submit a picture of the models they have completed that month, and preferable also a picture of their entire force.

(Just so we can see how the army is progressing.)

- Starting Forces - As stated, Jan and Feb are combined. Now to get everyone off to a flying start, here is how it works. 1+1=3. That's right. 2 months time, 3 months work. And you should be aiming for about 500 points, to let you get started playing too.

Each participants starting force MUST contain; 1 Epic Hero (including mounted option if applicable), 3 companies of infantry (including any command), 3 companies of cavalry (including any command), and 2 'Free' choices, from the list above, which can consist of additional Epic Heroes or infantry/cavalry companies.

(This way, everyone starts off the same before all hell breaks loose. You should have a relatively balanced (and legal) starting force, that can be expanded in an infinite number of ways. Yes, some armies may be hindered by a lack of options in any given area (Dwarves and cavalry, for instance) but you have the Ally option to take care of that.)

So, all that remains is to wish the rest of the guys the very best of luck, and hope you've packed your stinking Elven bread, because it is a long road ahead...

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:51 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Ok, here is my Force Composition for Jan/Feb

1. Faramir (Epic Hero) (Foot and Mounted Versions)
2. Rangers of Ithilien Command Company (Legendary Formation, 2 Companies)
3. Rangers of Ithilien
4. Osgiliath Veterans Command Company - Hornblower (Legendary Formation, 2 Companies)
5. Osgiliath Veterans
6. Warriors of Minas Tirith Command Company - Captain, Banner (Common Formation, 3 Companies)
7. Warriors of Minas Tirith
8. Warriors of Minas Tirith
9. Knights of Minas Tirith Command Company - Captain, Banner, Shields (Common Formation, 3 Companies)
10. Knights of Minas Tirith - Shields
11. Knights of Minas Tirith - Shields
12. Avenger Bolt Thrower (Rare Formation, 1 Company)

Points Value - 770
Common: Rare Formations = 2:1
Common: Rare Companies = 6:1
Allies = 0%

OK, I dropped the Archers from the list as I thought, with the Avenger, Vets and Rangers I had enough shooting, plus, it will increase the survivability of the WoMT to have an extra company.

I am currently cleaning and assembling the last of the models, so that hopefully, I can get the whole lot primed over the next day or so. In the meantime, whilst snow puts paid to my plans, I'm gonna clear my work area of anything that isn't Gondor related (that could take a while).

Will add my picture once I have everything glued and based.

EDIT - picture of army awaiting primer. The astute amongst you (or anyone actually reading this) will notice an unridden horse in the Knights unit. I'm waiting on some metal bitz to convert a suitable Captain model (providing they arrive in good time), so I'll probably leave them to last. Worst case scenario, I'll just hack up a few plastics to get the job done.

Last edited by gaarew on Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next