All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:36 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:29 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

The Ent Wife is cool... so original.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:36 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I just thought it was very funny that he has a belly button! No offence Mac, I like your attention to detail. Plus I'm at work trying to type this on my iPhone :? Yes, I am mildly bored here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:46 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Pinky Beecroft wrote:
I just thought it was very funny that he has a belly button! No offence Mac, I like your attention to detail. Plus I'm at work trying to type this on my iPhone :? Yes, I am mildly bored here!

Ah yes, I had some mild trouble learning to wrok my iPhone when I first got it too. Deleted a few contacts, and endless fb statuses by accident. :lol:

Great work again, Mac! I actually really like the leaves, and the vines also. Truly great stuff. 8)

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Lol! None taken of course, Pinky. The belly button was something that I added to 'humanise' it a bit if you know what I mean. Plus, it can be just a knot in the wood. ;)

I forgot to post the sculpting progress piccies. Like I said, I have only a few of the early stages... then I got excited. :o

To make it forum friendly without much troubles I'm going to use thumbnails instead. Just click them to get a bigger picture.

Image Image Image Image

I started by making a wire armature and block the arms and legs with Milliput. Then covered the whole thing with Green Stuff, both to block the pose but, mostly, so that the FIMO would adhere.

While the Green Stuff was still fresh I started to bulk it up with chunks of FIMO, mostly getting the basic shape. To smooth it a bit I just used a sculting tool and a brush (a basic cheap one) with a bit of baby oil to help the blending.

Unfortunatelly thats all I have, but the rest was done pretty much in the same way. The texture was done by poking, pressing or scratching the surface. The leaves and vines are just regular Green Stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:40 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

OOOh thanks MacGothmog. Its a little inspiration to make my own. :D I was wondering however, if the arms were a separate piece of wire to start?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:02 am 
Administrator
Administrator

They were, yep, thats why I had to block them with the Milliput (Green Stuff woudl work fine too). Otherwise they would keep bouncing around and mess up all the work done with the FIMO. Unlike Green Stuff, FIMO stays fresh and workable until its cooked, so you need to take that in account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:31 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Cool. I dont have any FIMO, though maybe i will pick some up and try it out. I'll see. Anyway thanks. Unfortunately I wont be able to get started for at least a week which sucks, but at least after that ill have plenty of time :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

:D Thanks for the wip pictures. One question though; why did you use the milliput for the base and then the fimo for the rest, I would think that milliput would be more chip resistant, so you would want to do the main part with fimo then go over and do the details with milliput.
I assume that fimo is just an air drying craft clay?
Thanks
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:49 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I actually used 3 types of putty in this one, thought one of them was really just to block the armature. All three have different properties, and thats why I used them that way.

First, I used Milliput to block the wire armature. Milliput is a 2 part epoxy putty that turns rock hard when its fully cured so its perfect for that. Green Stuff would be just as good for this, but Milliput is cheaper and I have a box of this black one that I want to get rid (you cant really see what you are doing with black putty). Thats mostly why I used it.

Then, I used Green Stuff to cover the armature with just a thin coat. Green Stuff is very sticky and the adhesion to the wire its pretty much perfect. Fimo would never stick to a raw wire and would just keep bouncing around, but it sticks perfectly to Green Stuff. It also helps to block the pose, as it cures hard enough for that. I also did the leaves and vines with it, later on.

Finally, the body was all done with FIMO. The main advantages is that I can find it pretty much everywhere cheap and it never sets, unless you cook it in a hoven. So, you can do stuff, remove, do again, etc, without wasting any material. Its a bit more like working with plasticene instead of chewing gum, if you get what I mean.

You are right though, its not as resistant as Green Stuff or Milliput, but it cures hard enough to make a display piece. If you plan to use this for gaming, it might be tricky for the thinner bits. I'd probably make a mould and cast it in resin if that was the purpose.

On a side note, I absolutelly love Milliput. Dries rock hard (utra.resistant), you can sand it (easy smooth surfaces), it can be dilluted with water (sticks great and you can use it for gap filling with a brush) and, this is the really nice bit, you can mix it with Green Stuff and get that elasticity too! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:35 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I also use milliput to block out my Ent sculpts before adding a Greenstuff or Procreate outer skin. I don't really like milliput much. I find it very messy as I have the superfine white which fills my fingerprints in. You've done very well there Miguel. I'm not a big fan of oven bake clays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Marvellous work all round! :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:54 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Seeing as I'll be ineligible to compete this month I've decided to withdraw my entry for this month. I have some pretty big plans for him so don't be disappointed as he'll show up again soon, this way I've got more time to work on him.

To all the entrants so far, they look awesome, keep up the good work and I can't wait to see some more finished minis 8)

Cheers,
Pinky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:38 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Pinky Beecroft wrote:
Seeing as I'll be ineligible to compete this month I've decided to withdraw my entry for this month. I have some pretty big plans for him so don't be disappointed as he'll show up again soon, this way I've got more time to work on him.

To all the entrants so far, they look awesome, keep up the good work and I can't wait to see some more finished minis 8)

Cheers,
Pinky

Understandable Andrew. It makes sense that you'd want to devote more time to him. As long as you still post plenty of updates on him in your WIP thread I'm happy! :wink:

Bilbo
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:51 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks Josh,
I'm thinking of entering him in the Awards so I'll update the WIP at the appropriate time. I'm going to start hitting some of the other minis I've been neglecting so I'll update my other threads soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:03 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

hi fellows! This week i have had less time than I expected and the ent didn't grow up...but this night i've continued it and this is the result :) it is still a wip and face is only at 50% of the face i've idealised.
the picture is in my gallery!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:15 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Its looking really good! Nice work so far thibron! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:14 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My WIP on one of Dave's models. :)
http://botwt.wordpress.com/

Post subject: Battle damaged Ent
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I thought this challenge was coming to an end shortly 'n after admiring thibron92 and MacGothmog's Ents last night i was inspired (and rushed) to get all the sculpting done in one go. I used an unfinished terrain piece and a tube of filler called PINKGRIP. The filler was actually alright, kinda like working with play dough that has a non stick elastic skin. The end result is somewhat dodgy in places but it done the overall trick.
He's pretty much done, just gonna glue a little sand to that unfinished arm to help emphasis the planned fire damage I'd like to try paint.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:47 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Looks good, I like how the scratchbuilt Ents are coming with little potbellies! Makes them look so cute! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:23 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

So here is my ent, he is growing quite quick i think. He is still a WIP, but let me know what you gyus think.
Clickable thumbnails in the interest of keeping it small.

ImageImageImage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next