All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 10:40 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Hobbit: EfGT Conversions (Update: Bombur, Ori, Fili)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:37 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

goblin_king wrote:
They all look wonderful so far, Fili is a little awkward though I will say!

Nowhere NEAR as awkward as GW's original pose. Fili straight out of the box is my least favourite of the Company by far (the only one I dislike, actually.) He looks like he's scratching his back with the sword in his left hand! :lol:

The conversion makes him look much better! :)

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:01 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Awesome conversions!!!
I love the Bombur one! :yay: :yay:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:21 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I can't believe I've only just found this thread - fantastic work! Like others I'm hugely impressed with Bilbo in particular - the back pack is great. Keep 'em coming!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:47 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Some lovely conversions here! I really like them! Would you mind if I'd steal some of your ideas..? :oops:
Keep up the good work!

Jorn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:08 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Lord Hurin wrote:
goblin_king wrote:

Nowhere NEAR as awkward as GW's original pose. Fili straight out of the box is my least favourite of the Company by far (the only one I dislike, actually.) He looks like he's scratching his back with the sword in his left hand! :lol:

I believe that is because of scabbard placement, he has a uniquely drawing style. However they could have done better. I'm going to leave this one as is, and get the finecast version, it looks so much better

Great progress, can't wait to see more painted
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:44 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

goblin_king wrote:
Do remember, you don't HAVE to convert them all!

Keep them coming, be brave and you'll do well in time.

Thanks again for commenting and giving valuable feedback, goblin_king! Greatly appreciated!

Lord Hurin wrote:

I agree, the original pose is very weird, glad you like my wee conversion! Thanks for continually looking in and commenting, Lord H!

SidTheSloth wrote:
Awesome conversions!!!
I love the Bombur one! :yay: :yay:

Ah Sid, thanks again for your reliable commenting and feedback! I'm glad you like Bombur, I'm pretty proud of him too! I hope the painting does him justice! :yay:

Fishlegs wrote:
I can't believe I've only just found this thread - fantastic work! Like others I'm hugely impressed with Bilbo in particular - the back pack is great. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks for giving this thread a shot, Fishlegs! Haven't seen you around on the forums before, hope this isn't the last time! I'm glad you like my Bilbo :)

Eaothen-the-brave wrote:
Some lovely conversions here! I really like them! Would you mind if I'd steal some of your ideas..? :oops:
Keep up the good work!

Jorn

Well Jorn... I have one condition before I let you copy my work... Show me, hehe! :P I'd love to see your own efforts and I'm glad I could inspire you! But seriously, show me, show me, show me! :D

RangerofTheNorth wrote:

I believe that is because of scabbard placement, he has a uniquely drawing style. However they could have done better. I'm going to leave this one as is, and get the finecast version, it looks so much better

Great progress, can't wait to see more painted

Thanks, RotN! I think your finecast plan is a pretty sound one, I hope it's a better pose!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I cannae wait for the finecast ones! Very exciting!

Did I hear something about painting? Can't wait to see that!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Location: Honiton, East Devon - In my base, shooting your doodz.
If only these poses were the original ones, Thorin and his Oakenshield pose looks stupid, much prefer your conversion - well done!

- Model Painting Service also available.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:39 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

where are the finecast company pictures?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:57 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

SMORG wrote:

In the new Hobbit rulebook

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:12 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I swear I've looked though a billion times and not noticed anything special. Does anyone have a page number?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

SMORG wrote:
I swear I've looked though a billion times and not noticed anything special. Does anyone have a page number?

The pics are only in the big £50 rulebook :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:55 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I realy like Bombur eating a biscuit. Amazing idea. Paint them then post them on the GW flicker site please.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:00 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

SidTheSloth wrote:
SMORG wrote:

If you keep your eyes peeled you can actually see them in the Escape from Goblin Town rulebook too... Towards the end there's a picture of some of Thorin's company plus the White Council charging a pack of mounted hunter orks. Can't tell you the exact page as I'm not at home but you can see a different Thorin model and a different Kili wrapped in a cloak, as well as some others!

EDIT: @ John Wayne - I didn't know GW had a flickr page - could I bother you for the link?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:48 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Monotone_Matt wrote:
SidTheSloth wrote:
SMORG wrote:

If you keep your eyes peeled you can actually see them in the Escape from Goblin Town rulebook too... Towards the end there's a picture of some of Thorin's company plus the White Council charging a pack of mounted hunter orks. Can't tell you the exact page as I'm not at home but you can see a different Thorin model and a different Kili wrapped in a cloak, as well as some others!

:oops: Sorry to misinform, I didn't see any of those pictures

Last edited by SidTheSloth on Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:59 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Ah it's quite hard to spot, Sid, don't beat yourself up :yay: :D the £50 rulebook has much bigger and clearer pics though!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Monotone_Matt wrote:
Eaothen-the-brave wrote:
Keep up the good work!

Jorn

Well Jorn... I have one condition before I let you copy my work... Show me, hehe! :P I'd love to see your own efforts and I'm glad I could inspire you! But seriously, show me, show me, show me! :D

I will! If I've got some time, I'll try to convert them. I gave some of the Dwarfs another pair of legs though, they seemed to large with their original legs, so I cut them off and gave them others :D too bad I had to offer three Dwarfs for it.. Anyways, I'm a little sick now, so it'll take a while before I get to it. :oops:
Cheers!

Post subject: Re: The Hobbit: EfGT Conversions (Update: Dori, Oin)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:56 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

goblin_king wrote:

Did I hear something about painting? Can't wait to see that!

I agree! And oh yes, I'll definitely be painting all my dwarves... I've bought extra paint especially :P

greendragon wrote:
If only these poses were the original ones, Thorin and his Oakenshield pose looks stupid, much prefer your conversion - well done!

Thanks, mate! As you can see, I put your wares to good use :P I'm glad you like my Thorin, cheers!

SMORG wrote:

I've found the pages everybody! On page 98 of the Escape from Goblin Town rulebook, a different Thorin (with Orcrist and a fur coat), Oin (with staff and cloak), Bombur (with cleaver and what looks like an ale mug/bent ladle), Gloin (in a similar pose to the EfGT version - his axes are at a different angle), Kili (in a billowing cloak) and Dwalin (with his two axes) can be seen!
Additionally, on page 84 there are some additional figures: Fili (he's actually in the same pic twice - must be a mistake - one with the awkward EfGT sword pose, the other with his swords at a much cooler angle, one on each side of his body), Dwalin (the same pose as page 98), Dori (with an overhead slashing motion) and what looks like a different Bofur pose - cut off by the edge of the picture though!

John Wayne wrote:
I realy like Bombur eating a biscuit. Amazing idea. Paint them then post them on the GW flicker site please.

Thanks John Wayne! Do you think anyone will be interested on GW's flickr? Do a lot of people post their stuff there?

Eaothen-the-brave wrote:
I will! If I've got some time, I'll try to convert them. I gave some of the Dwarfs another pair of legs though, they seemed to large with their original legs, so I cut them off and gave them others :D too bad I had to offer three Dwarfs for it.. Anyways, I'm a little sick now, so it'll take a while before I get to it. :oops:
Cheers!

Oh no... get well soon! Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Thanks for all your comments, everyone! A quick update from me before I hit the sack: Two more dwarven conversions - only two more to go!

OIN:

I repositioned his staff to make him it look like Oin is swiping at an enemy. A word of warning: This conversion was much more difficult than it seems, especially seeing as the middle part of O's staff snapped off while I was trying to assemble him in his normal pose to see what it looked like! I need to do some greenstuffing to hide the joints between his sides and his shoulders but I'm just glad I finally got his staff more or less straight and his arms attached at a good angle!

DORI:

Dori, on the other hand, was much simpler to convert. I cut his sword arm and his flail arm off at the elbow (making sure to carefully cut the flail away from his scabbard first!) before repositioning everything to make it look like Dori is swinging his flail. I was pretty lucky that the original pose makes it look like D has all the weight on his right foot and is mid-pivot - I think his new pose looks really effective!

Excuse the long post, I'll shut up now :P Good night everyone and I'll - hopefully - have a final conversion update tomorrow: Balin and Nori!

Post subject: Re: The Hobbit: EfGT Conversions (Update: Dori, Oin)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:47 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I like your work man, but I must ask you, why are you converting all of the new models?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

goblin_king wrote:

I'm actually absolutely terrified to find out the price if they all come in one box. $90 here for 4 White Council, sooo... $150 for 13 Dwarves? If we go the direct conversion and count a Dwarf as 2/3 of a man-sized model, it will be more like $200! :o :shock: :shock: :shock:

Elves: 1091pts
Mordor: 2305pts
Isengard: 1762pts
Moria: 1463pts
Evil Men: 381pts
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next