All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:00 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Awesome Ent
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

That is the most dramatic pose I have ever seen any one do with an ent. Post more often. :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

:shock: I haven't used that smilie in a while, but I had to pull it out now. That ent is a fantastic use of the extra troll bits, and I can't wait to see how you finish it off. The Gimli and Balin are also very well painted, good job. :yay: 8)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:57 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Wonderful ides on the ent and troll and you've made it work fantatically well.
Your painting iis top notch and I can't wait for the finished article

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Your Ent is amazing - love the Spectres you did earlier too :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

You really have some amazing talent there! Keep it up! You have something to be truly proud of. :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:14 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Really cool pose with troll and the ent, very dynamic. You see him getting pulled in :) poor troll :( Can't wait to see it painted. Keep it up mate 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

That ent has got to be one of the most epic things I have seen in a while!

Good job!!! :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Ent is great! :yay:
Balin and Gimli look fantastic as well! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:29 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Gimli id cool! I just love this colour scheme :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:29 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Balin - very well painted.
Gimli - Stunning! The depth and detail are superb. :yay:
Now your ent sculpt is great but I actually see this as being more Huornish than Entish - after all, they were the 'bouncers' of the forest. A very well executed use of the plastic troll. You really sense the desperation of the troll and the deadly determination of its opponent.

Well done you!

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:18 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Gimli and Balin look great, and I'm interested to see how the Ent turns out, as you've given him an interesting pose.

OERP
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:54 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Excellent work. An ingenious and original use of the spare troll parts. Love the Gimli Paint job and watching your dragon evolve is inspiring me to turn my paintbrush in the direction of my own dragon conversion. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I think you just convinced me to buy a plastic troll....

Post subject: Gandlaf the White
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:10 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The plan was to paint him like the others, using a dry brushed undercoat to guide me for as long as it showed through the successive layers of paint.

Chaos Black. Codex Grey. Fortress Grey. Skull White.
Scorched Brown. Bestial Brown. Snakebite Leather. Bleached Bone.
Tallarn Flesh. Elf Flesh.

Dry brushed heavily with codex grey, then fortress grey (not so much to cover the codex) then skull white on the highlights.

Gave the face about 3 watered down coats of tallarn flesh. then gradually mixed more tallarn flesh for the mid tones. small amounts of skull white where then added in successive highlights. The mix was fairly watery but i made sure not to carry too much water onto the miniature saving it from running into the shaded areas.

Watered down some more tallarn flesh and used this to shade certain areas around the eyes, hair line, under the checks and to red'en up his lip. Later i gave the face a few glazes of elf flesh on the mid tones and to the highlights some elf flesh mixed with a little skull white.

I found his eyes exceptionally hard to do, their nothing more than two impossibly small slits in between heaps of things to accidentally get black or white paint all over. it happened a few times and i had to re paint some of the face. I'm going to try paint the eyes first next time. I (think i) also used a little scorched brown mix with the tallarn flesh at some point to shade a little more. His face got messy with the mistake on the eyes but i cleaned it up a little later.

Big flash on the camera.
Working with the same colours as on the dry brush coat, I painted from watered down codex grey up to fortress grey and eventually skull white.

A few light glazes of fortress grey.

Watered down Fortress grey with increasing amounts of skull white added working towards the highlights. I wiped out some shaded areas when adding the glazes, I used either fortress grey or fortress and a little codex grey to fix it.

More glazing using Skull white with a small amount of Fortress grey, also picking out highlights with the same mix but a little thicker.
His hair is being painted the same way. from the tips; codex grey blending through fortress grey to skull white on top. some skull white lightly painted or dry brushed on his hair. glaze of fortress grey. His beard is the same, painted from the face outwards.I painted the belt Scorched brown but it was way to dark, then bestial brown, still to dark. I did however paint on the bestial as though i was beginning to do mid tones just in case it did work out. Mixed some skull white into the bestial brown and picked out the highlights to see what it was like. began to turn into a flesh colour so I painted it Snakebite Leather and progressively added Bleached Bone towards highlights.

Some more highlighting with skull white and a little fortress grey. Used about 10-20% of fortress grey to the amount of skull white then applied to mid tones and highlights. again, if shaded areas get washed out with white I used watered down fortress grey to tidy it up. This was only done to the darkest areas though, applying the (almost) white glaze over mid tones and darker mid tones lessens the contrast between them and the highlights. makes it a little smoother.

Dorthonion; i just looked up what a Huorn is and its a very fitting description. Hes definitely more Huron than Entish, thanks for the tip.

I haven't done anything more with him but I'm sure hes going to be raging, maybe with a roaring mouth and angry eyes, a little frenzied perhaps. Gonna finish of gandalf for now and then base him along with the two dwarfs.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:47 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I love the pose of the Ent/Huorn (whichever it ends up being), it looks like he's about to impale the troll with its own shield.
Savage! :lol:
Your painting style is nifty too, I might need to give it a go when I get back into painting properly.

Good work and looking forward to seeing more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:06 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The Ent/Huorn is brilliant - fantastic idea! :yay:
And very nice jobs on Gimli, Balin and Gandalf too. Great colour schemes and the smoothness on Gandalf's clothing is superb. 8)

Looking forward to the next update! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:25 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Great work on Gandalf. Your painting is very smooth though in my opinion the hair could us a little more contrast, and that way it would also stand out from the clothing a little more.
Great work, I'm looking forwards to seeing the finished huron.

Post subject: finsihed bases on gandalf gimli and balin
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:42 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks guys.

@Dwarf Lord of Ered Luin; i added some more highlights and glazed again with white, put a little more darker grey where the hair falls into the hood. It looks better, i forgot to take a picture of it though.

Just noticed the washy looking eye on Gandalf among the other mistakes, he'll probably get messy and over worked if I tried anymore so I'm going to leave him as he is after fixing the eye and spots.

The sword was painted all over with Chaos Black and Boltgun Metal 50/50, a small bit of boltgun was added to that mix and painted everywhere except on downward facing edges and shade areas. Boltgun on its own was painted around the edges and on upwards facing edges. Mithril Silver was painted on the tips, edges and raised areas. Watered down Burnished gold was painted onto the hilt in 3 light coats.

I added two small roots to the hand of the Huorn thats grabbing the troll, I'm going to work on his head tomorrow, FreddyBear also reminded me of the Dragon which is fully undercoated and receiving the standard grey/white dry brushing but I'm interested in painting Grima atm, seems easy enough and it may give my brother some incentive to play a game when I point out the sneaky rules Grima has.
 Post subject: Pippin
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:00 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I haven't got Sam yet so Farmer Maggot is standing in.

Painting these a little differently than what I'm use to, painting from mid tone to highlights and then coming back to shade.
I mixed Scorched Brown with all base colours and then to that added the base colour working towards the mid tones and highlights. So for example, Pippins coat started off with Scorched Brown and Shadow Grey (dull purplish), then small amounts of Shadow Grey where added until I was painting just the highlights with almost pure shadow grey. Ultramarine Blue was then added to the mix and streaked across highlight areas. variants of a Scorched Brown and Chaos Black wash was used to shade the miniature.

Some previous minis like the orcs and that relied on thin coats of paint to maintain a dark tone, with most of the paint being on mid tones and highlights the shaded areas where only a thin glaze of paint away from the undercoat on some mini's. i really like that becasue it can be fast and effective but i want to add more color and somewhat thicker smoother layers of paint while maintaing an overall darker miniature but getting decent enough contrast out of it.

too cartoonish ? I was thinking of adding dirt, grit and stains once they have all been painted like this.

Chaos Black
Scorched Brown

Bestial Brown
Snake Bite Leather

Scab Red
Blood Red

Shadow Grey
Ultramarine Blue

Tallarn Flesh
Dwarf Flesh
Bleached Bone

Boltgun Metal
Mithril Silver

Undercoated black and dry brushed to distinguish details.

Skin; Scorched Brown + Tallarn Flesh + Bleached Bone. Dwarf Flesh glaze. Scorched Brown shade.

Coat; Scorched Brown + Shadow Grey + Ultramarine Blue + Bleached Bone.

Trousers; Scorched Brown + Bestial Brown + Snake Bite Leather.

Cloak: Scorched Brown + Scab Red + Blood Red.

Hair; Scorched Brown + Bestial Brown + Snake Bite Leather. Used more snakebite on this area than the trousers.

Scarf: Bleached Bone glazed over the dry brushed undercoat, painting more on the highlights with each application.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:15 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Masterful job on Gandalf and Pippin! Really good stuff! :yay:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next