All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:41 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Southern Fiefdoms
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:32 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks for all the support everyone! :)

Quick update of my June Painting Competition entry, 90% complete. Unfortunately I won't have time to finish this as I'm away today and tomorrow but I will get round to it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Deadlines.... deadlines. The bane of my life :-X

Still working on this piece. I'm probably a few highlights off finishing the paintwork now. Theoden is complete. The Lord of the Nazgul has been washed and highlighted and the beast given a further dark wash. The lone orc has had a wash to his armour and the Easterling has had some touch ups. I got some feedback from my local club and made a few changes to Dernhelm. 'He' now has a grey green cloak, brown arm and leg guards, darker chest piece, decorated helm and a wash to the mail. I'm pretty happy with the base too after a few changes to the troll and corpses. You can see in a couple of the photos, blood running off from some of the fallen warriors and beasts. This was done using a mix of Blood Red, Chaos Black, basing flock and PVA glue. It comes out shiny, bitty and looking like blood! Will be adding patches of static grass and bushes to complete the diorama.

After this is complete, I'll be 100% focused on the Southern Fiefdom army and post some updates of the models I've finished to date :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:23 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Some outstanding work there my friend!! Theoden looks amazing!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:44 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I definitely would have voted for you if it were finished. ;) Looking forward to the finished project. 8)

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:35 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Nice work :-) good that u took ur time. The result is worth it!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:46 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hi guys, it's been a while since I posted regularly here but I do have a large update of were I'm up to with the Southern Fiefdoms project. I've just heard about David passing away and read the last few posts here. I appreciate the kind words and one in particular is tough to read. I'll update in a few days maybe when this news sinks in. I'm struggling to find the motivation to even write this, I just want to browse Davids posts and his WIP thread right now.

Thankyou David for every encouraging word you wrote, for every original piece you created, for being an inspiration

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:10 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Southern Fiefdoms update
Hi everyone, hoping to flood this thread with images of finished models very soon. I've made changes to my Fiefdom collection, including purchasing some of the Perry Models! These are fantastic alternatives and are the closest range to Games Workshops own yet metals are only £1 each thereabouts! I've also added a few Reaper metals for character models, images to follow. These photos were taken last week so I'll post updates for the remaining models shortly.

Golasgil and the Anfalas Guard
I've settled on a green tunic with gold details. Under-garments are white. I haven't found the courage to paint the shield emblem just yet. I think I will give the blue leather another highlight so that it looks more like the blue cloth worn by the Guard.

Hunters of Anfalas
I was a bit sceptical about these Ebob miniatures fitting within the collection. They are so finely sculpted that they leave no room for painted error. After a light base coat I applied a variety of browns and greens, specifically no greys as a first layer. The reasoning behind the colour choice was to try to vary the uniforms for each fief/province etc. Here they are pre-wash. I won't be highlighting these, just applying different washes with differing strengths.

Breakdown of the colours of each Fief are as follows:
Morthond captures all these colours (green, grey and brown) and blue.
Fishermen of the Ethir were grey and blue with varying browns (no green).
The clans of Lamedon wear brown and greys.
The Men of the Ringlo Vale adorn grey.
The Anfalas Guard wear blue and green.
Pinnath Gelin reknowned for their green.
The men of Dol Amroth wear blue and white
Lossarnach black and green although I've kept GWs cream sash
Men of the Lebennin dress mainly in brown leathers with dark blue banners and tunics.

I've deliberately ignored the warmer spectrum, red specifically. I've started painting the Wardens of Pelargir using the House Baratheon colours from the Game of Thrones series (the guys with the black stag on gold shield) except the shield and cloak will be light grey with a hint of blue and the tabbard will be golden. Armour is all silver at present and under-cloth will be pale coloured, off-white perhaps.

Men of Pinnath Gelin
These are Ebobs English knights with Gondorian heads. Basic colours blocked in. I've since washed both the armour and green tunic so it is rather darker now. The shield will incorporate green, white and gold, no more details as yet :E

Fishermen of the Ethir Anduin
Details of these are on a previous page. They are a delight to paint however I am a bit lazy so will not be adding highlights. So far the grey/blue cloth has been painted after the fleshy parts were tackled. And yes that involved simply washing a brown/flesh mix over a pale flesh coat. The remaining brown cloth sections will be browns and creams.

Duinhir
This was a chance find and a pleasure to paint! It is rrom REAPER MINIATURES and titled Ranger ZANDU VORCYON Pathfinder (item no. 60089). I think it was about £4.50 but then Reaper are fairly expensive.Image

You can see it unpainted below and next to other miniatures for an idea of scale. From left to right they are; Reaper (Veteran Knight JAMES ST. JOHNSON Dark Heaven Legends 02663), Reaper Ranger, Ebob Wallace, Crusader Miniatures converted to Dervorin and Captain of Lebennin

Final addition is this converted Salute Zero Five "George and the Dragon" miniature By Mark Copplestone, minus the dragon... I've added the top of Isildurs helmet and removed the original shield replacing it with a cast of the standard Minas Tirith shield. Could be a Commander of Pelargir alternative perhaps, not sure yet.

More to follow :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:16 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

nice all that variation - those archer models look really cool!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Splendid work, I love the conversions!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:27 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Awesome stuff! All conversions look well executed and very imaginative. I especially love the converted Englishmen to Warriors of Pinnath Gelin. A simple but very effective conversion! Every time I looked at those models, I wondered for which Gondorians I could use them best. Might gonna steal the idea from you. ;)
By the way, I also love the fact that you're basing the army on the books.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:31 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

My gosh wow with the conversions. I look fforward to the finished army and love GOT so always good to see pics and inspiration from it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:21 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Your army is quite the inspiration. What started you on this adventure?

Current Project: Ringwraiths - Haradrim - Mumakil
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:50 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The Ebob miniatures look really excellent especially the archers and your colour choices for the various locations are spot on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:58 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

fantastic conversions and exellent sculpting! :yay:

i espesially liked the men of pinnath gelin 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:38 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

fantastic conversions! I love the tales about the fiefdoms and these models fit my imagination quite well. Can't wait to see more
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:31 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

This is truly brilliant work, I love your conversions - they're so good! I really like that your drawing inspiration from the 'Game of Thrones' series, that's a clever idea. Your diorama is really top notch
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:52 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

@ garmenhord, CyberAlien312, John Wayne, Crucium Giger, SidTheSloth, rheodon, Drumstick - thanks guys, appreciate all the compliments. For anyone who has not yet watched Game of Thrones, it is a gripping book and tv series, the latter of which has Sean Bean in it! :)

@ Fëanor, the mighty elf - took me a while to decide too, was split between the Warriors of the Ringlo and of Pinnath Gelin. I think these would make nice proxies for basic WOMT too if the surcoat was painted black. Feel free to take any ideas, i'd love to see what others do with these models 8)

@ Wah Wing - Always enjoyed gaming with what GW had provided for the Fiefdoms but wanted to expand the list to portray the entire realm. Reading the Battle of the Pelennor Fields and the pages leading up to it are inspirational. How the reader portrays these loyal fiefdoms is entirely down to their imagination and past experiences. I was hoping to have this project complete by the summer ready for gaming but it's taking longer than expected, mainly because I keep buying miniatures :?

Thanks again guys, i've got some pictures lined up and will upload tomorrow.

ps. pumpkin smilies! :boo: :meh:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:07 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Your work is really special.
The range and subtle diversity between the fiefdoms will make a real show stopper when you're done. I'd like to see a grand review when you finish.
Thanks
GOR
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:17 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Quote:
Men of Pinnath Gelin
These are Ebobs English knights with Gondorian heads. Basic colours blocked in. I've since washed both the armour and green tunic so it is rather darker now. The shield will incorporate green, white and gold, no more details as yet :E

I first want to say fantastic work on everything so far in the thread, very cool and very unique ideas!

Second I wanted to ask where the helmeted head (on the center figure) came from? I really like Gondor, but wasn't a huge fan of the "cone head" helmets they had in the Jackson films (and thus GW miniatures), but I feel that helmet really fits the image I have conjured in my head for Gondorian footmen.
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:33 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Great stuff, Jack. I'll be stealing some of your ideas. I've pretty much finished the cavalry, all the basing is done. I'll try to get a few pix up this week.
I've started the Dunlendings using WGF Vikes, Biondi and Saxons and parts and pieces for my spares stash.
I've also begun using the Conquest Normans foot figures for ground troops
to fill in the cavalry that I've finished. I used some Ebob heads for some of these conversions.

Can't wait to see what else you come up with.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next