All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:38 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:46 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Some lovely minis you've got there ! Looks like you had a fun little game...and the minis are almost all painted (or are they allpainted?)...which is a pleasure that I have never had in my long gaming career... :roll:

April: 0/3 choices complete

Yearly total: 50/74 models done O.o
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:55 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

ah, lovely pics. now the minis really come to life!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:33 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Pics look good. I know just how hard it is to take nice pics of a game, especially when you're trying to keep the game flowing as well.

Uruks are probably the scarriest thing to face with Mirkwood / Galadrhim due to your relatively low Defense, but it sounds like you did well. You managed the shooting good but next time you will probably stage up a little different to recieve the charge. Sadly, for every Fight you loose you have a 50/50 chance of loosing an Elf. Uruks fair far better in those odds due to their armor so in the long run they can wear you down.

The Wood Elf Spears are great and should be used to the max. Since none of your force can use shields, it pays to have lots of Spears in the army. I see some in the pics but not sure how many. Their ability to "shield" with them really does help in keeping your forces alive longer so that help may arrive or at least the rest of your army can withdraw.

A 300pt battle with these would be very difficult since you can't afford too many casualties and you did great to get a victory over Isengard.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:19 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It's nice to see the new Citadel trees used with LotR as I've been thinking of getting some. They do seem to fit it pretty well, I thought they might look a little "cartoony".
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:40 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great pics and it's nice to see your mini's in action. I can't say that I am pleased to see the White Hand fail but it does sound like you had a good game.

[hint]Hmmm, I see a Battle Report from you in the future. :)[/hint]

Farmer Maggot wrote:
It's nice to see the new Citadel trees used with LotR as I've been thinking of getting some. They do seem to fit it pretty well, I thought they might look a little "cartoony".

They do look good (although "cartoony" is how I think of them as well, Tim Burton scary cartoony) but I like the fact that the branches seem high enough off the ground to allow models to pass below.

As for this...

Beowulf03809 wrote:
A 300pt battle with these would be very difficult since you can't afford too many casualties and you did great to get a victory over Isengard.
Bah, humbug. He barely won. The White Hand doesn't admit defeat so soon. :lol: Actually, I wanted to point out that when you have a chance pop over to the Tactics forum and maybe we could have a good long discussion. :)

Thanks for sharing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:38 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey lads, after a bit of a break over the holidays I've managed to bring out the old mini's for some more painting.I have a bit of work on my hands now as I have some Wood Elves, Celeborn, Aragorn, Rangers, and Wargs all on the backburner. After that whole missed tourney thing I completely burnt out and my enthusiasm for the whole painting aspect pretty much fizzled out :?

Hopefully that will change with these new WiP's :)

Aragorn has been coming rather slow to complete, I keep on putting him aside for the Woodies, but alas a lot of procrastination means that he won't be completed for a while yet. The two spearman have both got thinned down basecoats applied, and will be continued to be worked on pretty much after I get back from the gym haha.

Finally, I've finally started the basing for an Eomer I completed(well, completed a while ago) and I thought that he finally deserves some attention, as I'm looking to purchase him on Horeseback some time soon.

Well until the next update!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:49 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wotcher guys, after a pretty hectic week of bartending at the Gabba, I bring you gifts....of my Wood Elf Army progress! It's been going for ages, and most of you remember those pics of the battle that me and my mate had in the GW store. Well the going has been slow, but I've started picking myself up again, and I'm finally attempting to finish off these bloody elves :roll:

I've still got to finish the basing on a few of the others, and then I can either pay some attention to finishing the Rohirrim, or a newly bought pack of Wargs.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

they look good mate! nice colour schemes.

One thing that is easy to fix (before painting the minis), and makes a huge difference in the end is to remove the mould lines, whcih you can clearly see on the elf spearmen.

Other than that its looking great! :D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:00 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Some more elves have been completed. Basically one more spearman, an armoured swordsman, and Haldir, and I'm finally done!! *breathes sigh of relief*

*Note: The cloaks are all a decent shade of shadow grey, although when I put them through the computer and auto-balanced the colour...it seems to have made them go black :S Looks like I'm going to have to continue to tinker with my photography skills :roll:

Cheers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:31 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hello again, and here's another (it's becoming daily now, so that can only be a good thing :)) update. The unit of woodies are practically finished bar one spearman, and progress on Aragorn is going fantastically. Enough blabber, heres the pics!

And lastly...this ugly little duckling is getting a makeover...

When the return of the king came out, the HotW was one of the first sets that I recieved. I always left Legolas for last, in a vain attempt to get him to get him painted up really well. Long story short - I botched it, and so now, about 4 years later I'm going to try and improve on my rather primitive first attempt.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:52 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I really like the color scheme on your Wood Elves. I went for just greens and Space Wolves Grey (love that color :roll: ).

Are you going to paint the Legolas to match your Wood Elves, or are you going to stick with the movie palatee?

April: 0/3 choices complete

Yearly total: 50/74 models done O.o
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nice to see a variation on the usual pale green/grey woldelf palette; I am wondering whether the Mirkwood elves will look much different to the Lothlorien elves when 'The Hobbit' is released? Maybe more like a plainer version of Legolas.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:43 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@CoTWR Thanks mate :) Yeah I decided to go for a different colourscheme than GW's one as the paint jobs on the box set just looked really messy and didn't really fit in with the imagery. The Elves were in the autumnal stages of their reign, and the colours were chosen in order to reflect that. Melkor's Woodelf army was the real inspiration for the vermin brown shades.

Not very sure what I'm going to do with Legolas at the moment however, I'm still tossing up between the two. I might use Tobold's guide however. He does have a beautifully painted Legolas.

In other news, I invited another mate over to introduce to the world of LoTR:SBG. When I opened up the old Mines of Moria box set, I remembered that the whole thing wasn't finished yet! So in desperation, I painted up the pillars instead of finishing off the last hobbit(Sam). That resulted in Sam being completely forgotten in Surrounded!. This is why you painting up your minis is important :lol:

Unfortunately for my mate, he managed to lose every single one of the scenario's from the box set, Aragorn at one point rolling snake eyes attempting to wound 2 goblins! If anything, the box set is showing me the brutality of goblin swarming (as we made it base contact is only allowed combat - well thats how I interpreted the rules for combat in the MoM rulebook anyway) as my mate struggled to reach the goblin spawners.

[center]Image[/center]
[center]The troll enters the tomb![/center]

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Aragorn and Boromir struggle to keep the goblins of Moria at bay.[/center]

[center]Image[/center]

This game has actually really spurred me on to finally finish basing up the MoM set, and finish painting all the terrain features, so the next few updates will consist of MoM :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:07 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Alright guys, I'm back with another update of sorts. For some reason, I really want to finish off the armies I have before I try and head off and blow more money on the purchase of the month. So, I've cobbled together a load of stuff together and am getting ready for a week of hard painting :D

First up is my Rohan 300p force, who I'm just sick of seeing unbased, so I'll be repainting a few of them, and basing the rest of them. I've had all the mini's for about 3-4 years, so I think it's probably time to get them done already :roll:

Second is the rest of the Uruk scouts, my brother originally was intending to help with them, but he's too impatient for his own good, and has handed the job to me.

Thirdly is the tiiny remanents of my wood elf 300 p force, all that needs to be done is 1 Haldir, 1 Spearman, and 1 Galadhrim. I'm absolutely terrified of botching Haldir, so he won't be seeing any paint anytime soon.

Lastly, the MoM set is almost done, 50% of the terrain has been completed, and almost all the heroes have been painted bar Aragorn and Gandalf(I've been using their metal counterparts in introductory games instead). Also, I'm basing the whole set, so that should be interesting. One problem I'm having is that I'm not sure whether to base the fellowship with the same rocky base as the goblins, as there will be some points were I might use those mini's in other scenario's aside from MoM.

Please tell me I still posess my sanity :shock:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I don't game nor understand the rules. But I always enjoy to see pics of gaming! By yours I can assume how much fun this can be if you have nice mates to play with!

Haldir_Strikes wrote:
Please tell me I still posess my sanity

maybe hidden in an empty paint jar or a sealed envelope ..? ;-)

good luck with those projects ...!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Looks like I missed a few updates. :oops:
Really nice looking minis! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

if you still are wondering about your fellowship basing prob. then i might be able to help...for the plastic models a lot of times they stay on there bases ok so u can just have to bases for each. this would mean not gluing them though!

Hope I helped!
Frodo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:48 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Your wood elves look fantastic,especially the swordsman with the cream robes.
Your MoM models look great too,good stuff! :D
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:02 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

It's been a while since I've updated this thread, but thats just due to the fact that I've been a lazy sod in terms of painting. I'm hitting up Uni touch footy and tennis, not to mention still attending gym and so my painting time has went down the pot-hole. However, mid-semester exams are dawning and I've decided to pick up the brushes again to aid in study boredom.

I haven't really been able to work on much of the MoM terrain or Legolas, OR Aragorn, Haldir, and the two last Woodelf troops I need to finish my army, so instead I've decided to do some repainting of old mini's and add some new ones to my catalogue.

On the bright side, I've managed to finish basing most of the hand weapon WoR, with only the archers to go.

Now that I think of it, my 4 year old paint job could use some touch ups itself....

The Uruks I've started batch painting just so I can get them to the standard of the other mini's I use, fortunately it's just a matter of lots of drybrushes and washes, but it is getting rather monotonous. Still, they should be done in a few days and then I can move on to finishing the captain.

Does anyone know how I could get the armour even darker? Such as the way the Eavy Metal Team does it? I can't for the life of me figure out how they get the paint that dark. Is it just more black added into the basecoat mix of boltgun?

Cheers
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:47 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I really like those uruks and the orc captain...well done! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next