All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:45 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 4/14/15
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks! @gondor' heir, it's really pretty simple. I just started with a dark grey with a little bit of blue mixed in and added fortress grey into the mix until I was using pure fortress grey, then added white until I was only using pure white. I had to mix some more blue in every now and then, but the trick is to keep your paint thin. It takes a lot of patience, but it's definitely worth it.

Here is an update on the captain. I'm really wishing it was just a single miniature competition right now, I haven't even touched my banner bearer. :o

I'm extremely happy with how the shield turned out, but I'm still not sure I like the freehand on the back of the cloak. The actual pattern itself I'm happy with, it's the color. Sometimes I like it, other times I don't.
Your comments, as always, are welcome.

-PoW

Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 4/27/15
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:53 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

the colours on the shield look lovely! i wouldn't risk myself at a pattern like that! well done

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:59 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well I love the ideas behind this. The sky and earth picture on the shield, the checkered cloak all executed very well.

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:30 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Nothing to worry about with the freehand cloak. Looks amazing and is tough to keep consistent with the all the folds. You've managed it just fine. Shield is awesome too. get that banner done :-)

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:26 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

You never cease to amaze man. That is looking incredible. I need to try a shield like that. Looking fantastic!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:30 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The shield is outstanding as is the work on the cloak. With the cloak it's not a matter of how good it is as that is without question, but if it fits the miniature and the rest of the paint job in your own eyes (because at the end of the day you are the one who needs to be happy with it).

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:44 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks all! After seeing it done I'm quite happy with the end result.
Since I was in a hurry to finish, I decided to paint the banner bearer in normal metallics because it was quicker, but I did use several different glazes on it so it didn't seem like I just threw some paint on it. It's really hard to see the different colors in the pictures though, and some of them didn't really come through in real life either, but at least I tried :) I think I was a little ambitious with the base though. I ended up having to rush to get it done so it doesn't look at all how I wanted it to. I was also going to try removing the captain from the orc, which was a terrible idea especially since I had already painted it. I ended up getting the left foot separated fairly painlessly, but the right foot was a disaster. There was lots of cutting, sawing, and other horrible things going on to try and separate the two, but I ended up the victor! Until I looked again and noticed his foot had gone with the orc! That's when I decided it would be best to just leave the captain standing on the orc.
So yeah. It was kinda hectic, but I think I pulled off a pretty nice looking piece. I hoping to get at least top 5 this month.ImageImageImageImageImage

Sorry for the not very good pictures, I didn't have time to mess with settings or lighting. I just snapped some pics and hoped for the best. I really wanted to get one of the shield in there, but there was way too much light reflecting off it to get a decent shot of it.
Anyway, please let me know what you think, and good luck to all of the competitors this month!

-PoW

Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 4/30/15
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:36 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I know your not happy but this is still a really nice piece. I think the standing on the Orc is a good idea. All in all a good job mate.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:41 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks Gandalf! To be honest, I think I should have done a little better in the poll. I'll try not to complain though, at least I made it in the top 5.
I'll definitely be entering the next challenge, but first I'm going to do some "normal" painting first. I'll post pictures when I can.

-PoW

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I think I know what you mean about the colours... its just so different from what we are used to see from the movies and most armies around. I think what feels 'weird' is the type of yellow you went for the checkered pattern. Maybe if you had used the same type of goldish colour you used in the banner filligreen wouldn't 'clash' as much. Dunno...
I'd keep going, really. Its a very original and catchy scheme, and you can see there is a ton of good work done on this minis.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:27 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Yeah, the type of yellow is what I wasn't sure about. I had originally wanted to give it a lot more depth and contrast, but also tried a different set of colors to paint the yellow which didn't turn out as planned. Plus the checks are small enough that getting a lot of depth was very difficult, at least for me.
Thanks for the comment, I shall indeed keep going. :)
Here is what I've been working on the last couple of days. The picture isn't very good, but I'll take better ones when it's finished.ImageImage

-PoW

Post subject: Re: PoW's WIP: 5/13/15
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm really liking the colour choice on this guy. The nmm helmet doesn't necessarily look gold, but it looks really good either way! You did a good job with the face and eye, which can sometimes be hard with these types of helmets. If there was one thing to improve, it would be the blending on the cloak. I really like the colour transition, but a few midtone glazes would smooth out the transitions a lot. (I'm noticing it mostly on the third sharp ripple, where there are three very clear layers.)
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:48 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Nice solid work. Are you going to work the blend on the cloak some more ? It depends what standard you are aiming for.
Dark flesh is also good for shading yellow.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:31 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Gondorians - very nice!
Warrior of Rohan - I like the face - I always have trouble with faces.
Like remembering who people are... know the face but the name escapes me. :)

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:47 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The blue and yellow works great on the Rohirrim. Excellent choice. And of course the painting is up to your usual standard of awesome. Keep it up!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:44 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks everyone! I'm glad you like it, the face in particular was difficult to do, but I'm glad you all think it turned out good. I did work on the blending some more and I think it looks a bit better. It actually wasn't as bad as it is in the picture, but it did still need work for sure.
Gandalf the Grey, thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to give it a try.
Sorry for not being around lately, I just stared working full time again for the summer, and have been very tired. I've gotten back into the swing of things though so I should be able to get some painting done this week.
Any other comments would be great. Just knowing you like it keeps me going, and I'm always open to advice.

-PoW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:49 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sorry for not getting much painting done, I just haven't been very motivated lately. But here are a few new things.

The blending is a bit better on the blue, and I plan on adding some dirt to the bottom of the cloak. The shield could be better, I might go back and add a few more highlights and stuff to it.
I also decided to try and revive that nmm Easterling archer, and I think it'll turn out all right. I still need to do some work on the armor, but it's getting there.
Purple and teal is one of my all time favorite color combos, and it looks great on Easterling.
Let me know what you think! Sorry for the bad pics, I'll take better ones when they're done.

-PoW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:23 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Liking what your doing, always do. The easterling is really coming along just push the contrast a little more, darker in the shades. A touch more mid tone, you want the brightest highlight to be no more than a dot. This may help.
http://mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/ ... -gold.html
Also your purple cloth, get a really thin glaze of this and apply it to the areas of gold that are near the cloth, it will then pick up the reflection and help tie them in together.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:51 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I'm really liking the colour schemes you've got going on. The rohan warrior looks great, even if it's not the normal green scheme. And the Easterling! Wow, the teal and purple go together splendidly! As far as improvements go, it's hard to say because it looks like some of the cloth highlights have been washed out by the flash. The teal looks a little flat, and the purple I can see the highlights on, but it doesn't quite 'pop' as much as it could. But, like I said, it very well could be better irl.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:34 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Thanks! I haven't really had much time to paint recently, and when I do, I'm too tired from work. I did get about an hours worth of work done on the easterling over the weekend though. Still plenty to do, but I'm liking it so far. I didn't mess with the purple and teal much yet, but I did add a purple glaze in the shades of the armor to try and increase the contrast, and add some color as well.Image

There are still a few spots on the armor that need smoothing and stuff, but I'll get there eventually :)

-PoW

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 906 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 46  Next