All times are UTC

It is currently Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:37 pm

Post subject: Lungorthin (armoured balrog) WIP {updated29/06/2010}
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

hey guys i want to apologise for making a real pigs ear of this in the help with miniature thread what im working on the the white flamed balrog lord named lungorthin who is only mentioned in tolkiens very early notes on the silmerilion and whome is also a character used in MERP and LOTR RG in the maiar and the valar source book he was captain of the guard at angband and where gothmog was morgoths general leading many attacks lungorthin played a defensive role and by my interpretation would of overseen much of angband construction and fortification it was also stated in tolkiens notes that he spent much of his time undergound

now for the miniature im in the process of reposing the miniature so that it stands upright on a scenic base (by scenic base i mean ive cheated and made a base to hold the balrog upright with little resculpting of the legs)

ive decided that being a defensive captain he would carry shield and based on wot is written in MERP he was an expert with his lash so hell b also armed with that i think this makes hhim look very much like a heavily powered up taskmaster wich i think fits quite well hell also b sculpted wearing half plate armour inspired by jon howes image of gothmog wich is in my gallery

images of work so far will b posted later tonight and there are a few in my gallery if anyone wants to have a quick look but ill delete those later

so there u have it apologise for the long winded intro and any ringwraiths about that wanna move or delete my other post on this feel free as i made quite a hash of it

Last edited by senoja on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:44 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

these are the newer pics for where i am so far i didnt think it was worth reposting older pics these pics have had to be taken using my DSi camera so there not that good quality should b gettin a new camera soon hopefully

the pins on the head need to b trimmed down as ive not yet decided on the size of the crown and it was easier to glue longer wire to it lol
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:50 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Verry very nice.

I shall have to fish out the MERP details about this guy. I think I wrote up something about him at some point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:54 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

almost all of the merp books are available on scridb.com may take some finding tho
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:14 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

This looks great. Keep it up! I can't wait to see him finished.

And would it be alright if when you type you put in some fullstops because it is hard to read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:42 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

In my opinion the spikes on his helmet are too long but otherwise he looks great. Did you sculpt the chain? It looks great but it may be a little too long for table top use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:01 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

the spikes on his head are just to sculpt to it was alot easier to glue them in long a trim them down after wards

to make the chain i used thin garden wire from wilkinsons tied 3 long pieces of wire to the table and braided them wich wasnt enojyable as i ended up with a total of 5 blisters on my thumbs and fingers the next morning i like how it turned out tho and it has given the whip alot of strenth

i think itll b ok to use on table top as the scenic base raises the model up bout 2 inches so the whip will b above any other model so shouldnt get in the way too much
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

o and i apologise for my bad grammar i will try harder next update lol
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:08 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

i have reached a bit of an impass at the minute me and a few friends have decided on using a round slightly domed shield but im stuck as to what would b on the shield. im thinking as he was morgoths captain of the guard mayb hed have some kind of insignia on it but not sure what any ideas?.

ive done a little more scultping and smoothing out but nothing u would b able to see in pictures due to the quality of my camera.