PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:48 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Wow, nice Nazgul man!! :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
Nice greenish tint on the Knight of Umbar's armor! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:51 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks Gondolin & Anduril.

Here my first ever mordor orc painted!. Let me know whats yous think and stuff.

Nothing special really just some greens and leather colours and washes for a dirty look.

Cheers!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:55 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

hey well that's not bad for your first figure you had painted.. a lot better than my first ones... needs some things done to it but it's no surprise when it's your first time. Looks pretty damn good for a first try. Well done!

thank you
Drumtastic
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:08 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hey thanks Drumtastic. I have been buzy this morning and Converted some spear orcs in to handweapon and shield orcs so here is some pictures!.

The rest of my orcs are just plain out the box orcs AND Here is my converted orc captain! :>

I gave him a skull trophy and Some skulls attached on his shield to distinguish him from the other orcs, So on the painting part!.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:20 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
Very nice converted captain, he really stands out! :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:02 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Woo a update in 9 days from the last. I am on a roll!.
Anduril - Yea, i really glad he does thanks!.

I have finished 95% finish my 100pts for my tale of the painters but 1 orc and 5 guardmen to go i am going quite well this month.

My mordor finally have some new reinforcements in form of a new toy....

This is January's update and Here are some companies of my first finished mordor orcs.

The empty space at the back is for the taskmaster which is shall post in a second. Here a few stand along pictures of my captain.

I generally had trouble paint the mordor orcs because the choice of colors to do them i was tempted to try a purple/brown thing but decided against it being abit to wild.

Here is my wip taskmaster he gives the formation itself +1 courage so is quite invaluable since orcs only have courage of 2, Same as the drummer(that will come at a later date)

Please comment away i could really use any pointers and stuff.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:28 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

That's some very impressive conversions! Keep up the good work! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:54 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Hey, good work bringing variety to your models!

I don't see much wrong with the scale of the weapons - especially when they're a) painted, b) mixed in a mob of 4-9 companies and c) 3 - 4 ft away on the table top.

But, here's the hot tip for those of you looking for true 25mm weapons for your conversions:

https://www.thunderboltmountain.com/pro ... 32f1859f5b

Best sculptor Ral Partha ever had. I'm considering his goblins for my Gundabad Blackshields. (That Misty Mountains list down the road.)

Also, I want to give you a big thank you for giving me ideas to convert the Shagrat model I considered worthless. That's an easy swap but I just didn't see it. So, kudos to you.

Oh, and one other painting tip: take those highlights on the Nazgul the next step by applying a series of THIN washes of Badab Black to smooth the contrast with the black.

In future, if you have lots of black to paint and highlight (and what Mordor player doesn't?), consider getting some empty mixing bottles and making your self pre-mixed highlight shades:

- 50% Chaos Black, 50% Codex Grey
- 50% Chaos Black, 50% Royal Blue

The black/grey mix is more subtle than just grey - even the darkest Adeptus Battlegrey - but still effective.

The reason for the black/blue is provide an alternative when you have lots of black. For example, I've used the b/g to highlight the Nazgul's robes and the b/b to highlight the coat of his black horse. It's a subtle difference but the brain picks it up even if the eye doesn't at first glance.

See this tuturial in paint black from someone who's got it down. (It's in German, but it's intuitive enough with the pictures.)

http://www.tabletop-hdr.de/bemalanleitu ... n-asuryan/

Essentially, he starts with a 50/50 blue/black mix and then lightens that mix with grey for the next levels of highlights. Me, I'm a 3 layer guy unless it's a showpiece. Black-Black/Grey-Grey. Keep the paint thin, dry the brush a bit and go lightly.

Keep at it - fortune favors the bold.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:28 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Anduril: Thanks man :D.
Wow a massive post!.

White Tower of Ecthelion wrote:
Hey, good work bringing variety to your models!

I don't see much wrong with the scale of the weapons - especially when they're a) painted, b) mixed in a mob of 4-9 companies and c) 3 - 4 ft away on the table top.

But, here's the hot tip for those of you looking for true 25mm weapons for your conversions:

https://www.thunderboltmountain.com/pro ... 32f1859f5b

Best sculptor Ral Partha ever had. I'm considering his goblins for my Gundabad Blackshields. (That Misty Mountains list down the road.)

Thanks for the idea those weapons are awesome also i seen a nice human weapon set on the site to which will be idea for my future converions.

Also, I want to give you a big thank you for giving me ideas to convert the Shagrat model I considered worthless. That's an easy swap but I just didn't see it. So, kudos to you.

You are welcome and Yea it took me a while to think of a decent way to make him more unqiue and I dont think he would be running around the way he was in a wotr game. You should post your picture of him if you get around to convering him.

Oh, and one other painting tip: take those highlights on the Nazgul the next step by applying a series of THIN washes of Badab Black to smooth the contrast with the black.

In future, if you have lots of black to paint and highlight (and what Mordor player doesn't?), consider getting some empty mixing bottles and making your self pre-mixed highlight shades:

- 50% Chaos Black, 50% Codex Grey
- 50% Chaos Black, 50% Royal Blue

The black/grey mix is more subtle than just grey - even the darkest Adeptus Battlegrey - but still effective.

The reason for the black/blue is provide an alternative when you have lots of black. For example, I've used the b/g to highlight the Nazgul's robes and the b/b to highlight the coat of his black horse. It's a subtle difference but the brain picks it up even if the eye doesn't at first glance.

See this tuturial in paint black from someone who's got it down. (It's in German, but it's intuitive enough with the pictures.)

http://www.tabletop-hdr.de/bemalanleitu ... n-asuryan/

Essentially, he starts with a 50/50 blue/black mix and then lightens that mix with grey for the next levels of highlights. Me, I'm a 3 layer guy unless it's a showpiece. Black-Black/Grey-Grey. Keep the paint thin, dry the brush a bit and go lightly.

Keep at it - fortune favors the bold.

Ah, thats a really great guide and Thanks ill give it a shot. Even tho i have been paint a good time, I find some of these techinques abit worrying to do.

I just wanna thank you for putting in some major effort in to the painting and converting advice and Oh a ST DS9 quote love that show :D.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:03 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

time for a this wee month update and Just in the nick of time! again.

Let me start of with this month entry Month 3 - 2 formations of orcs, orc captain and Orc Taskmaster

Army shot - Shagrat's Tower Guard - 1 formation, 2 formations of orcs, orc captain and Orc Taskmaster and The Knight of Umbar

Here are a few more close up of the taskmaster and Mordor urk-hai's

I manage to get some more work done on the urks so here you go.

Well thats it for now. Next month plan for the time being is the mordor troll or some the other formations of the orcs and urks so stay tuned!.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:36 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Nice conversions all around!

James