All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:48 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Painting Challenge: Nazgûl
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:08 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

[center]Image[/center]

[h2][center]Painting Challenge: Nazgûl[/center][/h2]

The Silmarillion, 'Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age' wrote:
"Those who used the Nine Rings became mighty in their day, kings, sorcerers, and warriors of old. They obtained glory and great wealth, yet it turned to their undoing. They had, as it seemed, unending life, yet life became unendurable to them. They could walk, if they would, unseen by all eyes in this world beneath the sun, and they could see things in worlds invisible to mortal men; but too often they beheld only the phantoms and delusions of Sauron. And one by one, sooner or later, according to their native strength and to the good or evil of their wills in the beginning, they fell under the thraldom of the ring that they bore and of the domination of the One which was Sauron's. And they became forever invisible save to him that wore the Ruling Ring, and they entered into the realm of shadows. The Nazgûl were they, the Ringwraiths, the Ulairi, the Enemy's most terrible servants; darkness went with them, and they cried with the voices of death."

Greetings, and welcome to the first Painting Challenge of 2010, featuring the Dark Lord's most dreaded servants, the Nazgûl. Guidelines for the challenge are as follows:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Painting Challenge Guidelines

1. A miniature will be selected prior to the beginning of each Painting Challenge. Although it is not required, it is strongly suggested that you paint the chosen miniature, although some accommodation is allowed.

(In order of preference)
1. One of the Nazgûl on foot (generic or named versions)
2. One of the Nazgûl mounted on either a Dark Steed or Fell Beast
3. Twilight Ringwraith
4. Evil miniature featuring dark robes and armor (e.g. Morgul Stalkers, Castellans of Dol Guldur, the Necromancer, the Mouth of Sauron, Black Númenóreans, Morgul Knights)

2. Miniatures may not be painted at the beginning of the Paint-Off (assembled and undercoated is fine), and each participant should show proof of this status.

3. You may join the Painting Challenge in progress at any time, but must submit photographs of the completed miniature by midnight GMT of January 31, 2010. WIP images are welcomed and encouraged.

4. Miniatures that are completed in time will be eligible to win the Painting Challenge. The Painting Challenge will be decided by the vote of the OR community. The community will choose one winner and one runner-up from the completed miniatures. Votes should be cast not simply on painting skill, but on merit, including creativity, application of painting techniques, artist improvement, etc. The winner will receive three (3) gold coins and the runner-up will receive two (2) gold coins.

5. Winners from the previous month are able to participate in the Painting Challenge, but are not eligible to win in consecutive months.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, get your cameras and paintbrushes ready, because this is going to be a lot of fun.

Edit: I am being a little relaxed on the rules in the December Challenge, because it was the first one. However, for this Challenge, you will not be eligible to win without photographic proof of the miniature's unpainted status, so please grab a quick snapshot before you get started!

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies

Last edited by Erunion on Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:28 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Better get painting. I missed the deadline for the previous Paint-Off so hopefuly I'll remember to post a picture of the finished model rather than spending a month painting it then realising after the deadline 'I need to take a picture of it'. :Smackdown:

Backlog Reduction Oath Participant - 6/53
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:21 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

A [word deleted] i gained 1 witch king and 3 nazguls on foot, but the problem is i don't have chaos black so i can't paint them :shock: :shock: !!! :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

very nice initiative Erunion (and one-ring mods) !

Very original and i think it helps a lot of people. Sooner or later i will enter myself but i'm not sure if a nazgul is my cup of tea. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:06 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Here's my entry: two bits of a mounted ringwraith which doesn't fit together. So i decided to make a convertion of this, and this is what i'm going to do this month: A mounted ringwraith convertion
And if the conversion doesn't work out at all i'm going to paint this one:
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:53 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Going for a little different take with my Nazgûl, Khamûl of Dol Guldor riding his beast (just painting him for the comp however). :)

Proof of life

Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:03 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'm going to enter this.

heres my nazgul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:27 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

DAMN! :D, this competition starts just after I finish my Dark Marshal! :shock: Although admittedly... my painting is probably not competition standard...

As a matter of interest ( i reckon it's probably allowed), is the Mouth of Sauron (counting as a Black Numenorean marshal) ok? (was thinking of getting a cheaper pt leader for my mordor army anyway...)

Thanks

Last edited by Baldrick on Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:32 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Location: Hear the sinister whisper of steel on leather? The quiet footsteps? You've found me.
MrFortunato wrote:
Quote:
DAMN! :D, this competition starts just after I finish my Dark Marshal! :shock: Although admittedly... my painting is probably not competition standard...

Not about skill level completely. You could also win for being most imroved painter, most original paint scheme etc. Although, with Nazgul, it's hard to come up with an alternate paint scheme that still ties in with their feel..... :lol:

I'm afraid I'll probably have to skip this month's. I've got my Eldar Wraithlord, 30+ Cadians, Metal Glorifindel & Gandalf the White, and some Warg Riders all waiting patiently on my table already...:o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:15 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

@Darac -- Surely you can find some black paint somewhere this month!!!

@MrFortunato -- Yes, the Mouth of Sauron is perfectly acceptable, as it involves many of the same painting techniques as painting Ringwraiths.

Here is my proof picture. They are assembled and have the mold lines removed. The mounted figure needs a couple of gaps filled, and then I'll base and prime them tomorrow afternoon.

Do what is right, love mercy, and walk humbly

Battle Companies
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next