All times are UTC

It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:49 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Orcs, specters, wargs, ents
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:06 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@ BilboOfTheWhiteTower; cheers man

Just two of the orcs left now, i think the next 12 will get painted much quicker thankfully. Specters got some cork, small stones and sand on their bases along with the goblin, just to be undercoated now

Specter.
Tided up his shoulders with some more cloth, still another little bit to go on his right leg, i might just cover it up with base detail.

Orc 10

undercoated chaos black spray, a coat of water down chaos black, dry brushed lightly with codex grey, highlights receiving just a little extra codex.

1 Image
Dry brush scorched brown.

2 Image]
Dry brush Kommando Khaki

3 Image
Dry brush highlights Bleached bone.

4 Image
Paint shoulder cloth and one of his leg cloth, Bow, Wrist guards, belt and straps with water down scorched brown. Perhaps 3 and with slightly more attention towards the raised areas, see the bow.

5 Image
Skin Paint the raised areas with water down codex grey, one or two light layers should do it. Paint all the skin area with 1 part codex grew 3 parts water. this slowly blends the codex on the highlights with the shaded areas. (paint from the shade to the highlight) The more water you use the more layers it will take and gives you a better chance at making a smooth looking surface, however too much water and you'll be wasting time on unnecessary layering. Too much paint and it will ruin the shaded area.

6 Image
Metal. Dry brush the helmet lightly with Boltgun metal, use a little water to moisten the brush so streaks wont appear. Use as little paint and water on the brush. Some of the brown may continue to show through but this just adds to the effect.

7 Image
Shin guards and armor plates. Paint with 1 part botlgun 3 parts water. luckily the silver wont cover everything and some black and brown show through.

8 Image
badab black all over his hair, it retains highlights from all the previous coats but darkens up more than everything else on the mini, it also looks greasy. Badab painted onto the front cloth between his legs along with the cloth under his wrist guard. The eyes, in between the fingers and along the center of the chest strap where given a thin coat of Badab. Watered down chaos black was applied lightly to areas where parts meet, like the knee and metal shin guard or the arm and wrist guard. Oh yeah, a little water down scorched brown in between the fingers makes the grey less cold. The shading could go further by using more and more chaos black. I would use Badab but it gets real shiny after a while, if that happens use watered down chaos black to mute it. Finally bleach bone was used to pick out the eyes and teeth

Done :)

Wargs
I have the two other riders but wouldn't mind fielding them like this. little green work to be done on the wargs back's.

I'd completely forgotten about this guy, painted some time ago, I must have used every brownish and grey color I own dry brushing and glazing him, just got to do his eyes and a small bit of base work.

So, just going to finish those orcs, get the specters and goblin undercoated along with two barrow wights. might tackle the wargs and the 12 remainging orcs after that.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:50 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Those spectres are coming along nicely, I can't wait to see the painted. Thank you for posting how you painted the orcs 8), I wonder how it would look on goblins :twisted:.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:51 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

@ Dwarf Lord of Ered Luin; thanks, I'm gonna try it out on the goblin conversion too, the principle is the same just the colors change so it should work.

I just picked these up to make sure I got all the mold lines and then started messing...

Charging warg

Greenstuff charging warg

spear warg

Archer warg
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:15 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

The pose of the spear-orc on warg looks great...excellent use of a cork! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:46 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

finished orcs
...just some base detail to add.

elf specter
I used ultramarine blue on the robes, it was very bright compared to everything else so i used some glazes of scorched brown to calm it down which turned the blue purple because of the red in the brown.

rohan specter

Wargs
added some cork and sprayed black.

terrain
Painted the bases brown with the recess areas receiving a watered down mix of black and a little brown.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:17 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

These are all looking fantastic!!! :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:32 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Those Spectres look amazing! The Witch-King looks fearsome as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:54 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Once again, great work. You finished off the spectres really well. The colour scheme is just right and you've done a really great job of hiding if not exploiting the fingerprints.
Great conversions and terrain as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:26 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I agree, you hid the finger prints very well, I thought they would be more of a problem but you managed to make them not. I also like the colour scheme for the orcs, dark and dirty, but with a couple of brighter patches and lots of variation. :yay: 8)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Excellent job on those spectres!! :yay:

Post subject: Spectres...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:08 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Fantastic Job! The elvish spectre is looking very evil indeed... the look in his eye is daunting... and the wispy cloak looks very much in motion... brings it to life...

The colours are super... very earthy... very well blended... you are truely gifted with your brush strokes... great work...

You don't waste any time do you? I am impressed with how much you accomplish so quickly at such a high grade of work. Way to go... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:58 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Sweet! the elvish spectre looks awesome. I like the way you did the cloak. The colours are also really neat. Makes me want to start painting again.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:45 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Fantastic work BizzareWarstar on all of your projects!
This is a great WIP to follow. :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:30 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

sweet work on those specters! Defenitly want to see more of your work! keep it up :yay:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:49 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

looking very very nice, the specters looking amazing! you planning on doing any other conversions?

Post subject: terrain and Grimbold conversion
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:41 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

thanks guys :-D

painted the small stones codex grey and added some flock, gonna add a little static grass also.

maximus wrote:
you planning on doing any other conversions?

aigh, i started messing around with bitz last night trying to make Grimbold of Grimslade...
these are the only axes i have, the hammer might be cool to use but its very big looking as are the axes, i was thinking of just using the axe heads and a urukhai pike as the handle. might use the hands of the uruk too because greenstuff hands are finicky out. Those are urk arms btw.
He'd make a great banner bearer which is something i need in my rohan force, but I'll give Grimbold a shot first.

gonna try make some mounds out of this, the plan is to smother it in pva and add sand all over, perhaps attach the foam to some heavy cardboard for support and stick a few stones along the edges.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:34 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Grimbold's pose is great! Looking forward to seeing how the polystyrene terrain turns out. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:14 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

The standing stones turned out very well. Now I'll have to make some myself :-X.
Good luck on Grimbold and the rest of the terrain.

Post subject: warg and tree's
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:58 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Warg Rider

Wire tree
Making some tree's, gonna try out the wire type, paper mache(?) bark and sponge for foliage. the base is around 60mm.

barbecue skewer and sponge tree
Another tree on a 60mm base, I saw an article where the person used green scowling pads for the foliage, a cool idea but im gonna try the sponge. Gonna paint the skewer brown and the foliage green. think these are going to be a little quicker and easier than wire trees.

The polystyrene mounds are glued to cardboard bases for extra support, gonna add some texture with sand when there fixed, Grimbold is on hold atm as I've undercoated a Mordor Troll and would like to get stuck but not before I finish the base work on the orcs and wraiths, that's the plan anyway.
 Post subject: skewer and sponge trees
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:15 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Made three more tree bases with some detail's and foliage.
Mixed roughly 1 part blue and 4 parts yellow, watered down heavily. dipped the sponge in about quarter way and squashed it up into a little ball spreading the color through out the sponge, while still wet I pinched the highlights to squeeze the paint away from the area leaving subtle color changes in the foliage. Painted the skewers brown. just got to paint the bases and details then glue the foliage.
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next