All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 8:38 am

Post subject: First NMM miniature
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:49 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

This is my first attempt at Non-metallic metal. I think it turned out rather well for my first try, though of course I can still improve a lot. I just directly applied the techniques used in this great article: kb.php?a=62 The figure is a cheap 50 pence metal miniature from some very small company, I will use it as a Rohan captain.

Post subject: Re: First NMM miniature
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:55 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

For your first effort I am mightily impressed. Two thumbs way up on this one.
Are you using a glaze medium to help with the blending ?

mallysminiatures.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:14 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Pretty damn good for a first attempt my friend!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:11 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Well done! That's pretty good for a first attempt. Just needs a little bit of work blending a little more, but its probably not noticeable unless zoomed in i'd guess.

Would have liked to a little more done on the chainmail, just looks a little too streaky but I only noticed after going back the 2nd time to look at it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:34 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looks like amazing work for a first attempt (maybe can't really comment, never tried it myself), the mail, helmet and weapons all look really great. Only criticisms I'd have are that maybe the highlight on top of the sword-hilt is too sharp, and the sky in the shield would have benefited from a few more mid-tones of grey to blend it in a little smoother.

Very easy to sit here and judge though when I've never attempted it myself - if my first try looked like that I'd be very, very happy with it, well done :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:58 pm 
Hi,

I don't want to be too harsh or demoralize you...but this isn't NMM! I know it's your first attempt, but this technique ist incredibly difficult and you have to be able to paint perfect blendings with loads of contrast. From the cloth and the skin, you are not able to do this at this moment. I would suggest to focus on painting perfect transitions first which is the clue for the effect to work, otherwise it looks more like brown/yellow/grey.

There are many great examples on CMOn where you also can find tutorials on this topic. Print out some of these pictures and try to copy the effect as closely as possible. After some miniatures you will start to understand how to put highlights and shadows, finding the right amount of contrast and enough smoothness for it to work!

Again, I really don't want to hurt your feelings or anything...but give you realistic feedback. I hope you understand this :) I also tried NMM for quite some time, but I was never happy with my results, as it never looked very convincing compared to the pro painter's miniatures. Therefore I stick to 'true-metallic' which is hard enough to paint in a good way ;) If you are motivated and comitted and want to spend hours and hours of blending on a piece of armor or a sword you can master this technique. Keep it up!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:17 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Very nice first attempt! Like some of the others are saying add more colors to the transition and you will be set. At least that is what I can say in theory. I have been trying this technique and have yet to master it. This is an excellent start!