All times are UTC

It is currently Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:47 am

Post subject: Knighty's WIP: A New Power is Rising
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:47 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Hey there and good morning/afternoon/evening folks.

I figured it was about time I finally set up my own WiP. I've been hesitant to since my models aren't anywhere near even half the standard of most WiPs that I browse through, relying mainly on simply techniques such as drybrushing and washes. However, only through practice and advice do we learn and grow, so here I am biting the bullet at last.

As such any comments, thoughts or criticism are more than welcome, and thank you for taking the time to look through this.

Here we are with the miniature that I first painted upon my first attempt to get back into the hobby, around a year or so ago. I used to collect a lot of Uruks as a kid, having been introduced to the game during the Two Towers era. I keep thinking about gathering the dust off of my Uruk-Hai and giving him a warband to fight alongside, but in all honesty I much prefer the Uruk Scouts over their 'Fighting' counterparts. A shame really, since this is one of the few miniatures I'm actually proud of.

Hama. I've always been fond of this sculpt. Why exactly, I can't say, it's just one of those that stands out to me. Theoden and Gamling will be joining him soon, and though the base isn't finished yet, I may start my Rohan bases again with a new more 'yellowy-green' type grass.

Alongside the White Council, my biggest project right now is completing an 1000 pt Gondorian force for the upcoming Throne of Skulls. This is just a sample, more to follow over the next few weeks.

And at last, onto the titular project: The White Council!

I've been enthralled by this mysterious group ever since I first read about it, even though the mentions and details are far and few between. This concept of the wisest, most secretive, remarkable heroes coming together to stand against a terrible foe. Must be why I love the Avengers so much too :P

As such, to be able to see and use this gathering of the champions of light on the tabletop is a tremendous joy. I'm planning on two versions of the White Council; One which has a 'passive' stance, and another which represents the Council in it's fully-fledged 'battle' state, i.e. the Assault on Dol Guldor. It may sound a little strange now, but hopefully it'll become clearer as time progresses.

Saruman. Saruman the Wise. Saruman the Ring-Maker. The head of the White Council, for better or worse. Some people voiced their unhappiness with this particular sculpt, but from the moment I saw it I fell in love with it. I feel it does a brilliant job capturing the wisdom, and arrogance of the character. One of my favourite new miniatures by far.

Galadriel, Protectress of Lothlorien. I had originally planned to paint this model in the plain white robes colour scheme, but changed my mind upon the release of a new Galadriel and the War Aspect scheme suiting this model so well.

Erestor. A very nice model, it makes a nice change to paint an elf that doesn't have a cloak. Also, it doesn't come out very well in the pictures, but Erestor's, and in fact all of my elven armour has a slightly blue shade to it.

Radagast the Brown, and his yet-to-be-painted and most faithful companion Shaymi- Sebastian! :oops:

And last but most certainly not least, a Great Eagle! This plastic kit has been one of the best releases in a long, long time - an absolute joy to build and paint. I plan to have both eagles and wood elves as allies for the White Council eventually.

So, there you have it. Again, thank you very much for reading through all this, and I'd appreciate any and all comments.

Last edited by KnightyKnight on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 5 times in total.
 Post subject: Re: KnightyKnight presents the White Council!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:13 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

WOW, AMAZING!
do you find it easier to paint larger faces than smaller faces (like the partially covered faces of Minas Tirith Knights)?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:47 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Really good,
I think the urak is especially well painted.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:07 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Knighty!! you should have shown us these before!!
Looks awesome mate!!

:yay:

I love that eagle!!

superb work 8) :yay:

Last edited by SidTheSloth on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:03 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Very well done on the painting, Sir KnightyKnight. The only one I would want to tweak slightly (if it were mine) would be the eagle - not that it is bad or anything remotely like that - I would add some more variations on the brown as it looks a bit too uniform. here is an example below but try Google images of golden eagles and you will see lots of examples:
http://shawtrekking.com/wp-content/uplo ... -Eagle.jpg
All shades of brown from almost sand through to very dark. It adds a lot of texture to the bird. Anyway, just my thruppence worth.

Phantom Ships, Ghost Flotilla
More to come!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:24 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

You should definitely have posted this stuff before Knighty! They look fantastic, especially love Hama and the Uruk-Hai banner bearer! :yay: :yay: :yay:

I look forwards to seeing what you do next - especially the next eagle ;) 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:26 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Stunning Uruk! And I want a Hama too for my Edoras court!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:05 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
Radagast the Brown, and his yet-to-be-painted and most faithful companion Shaymi- Sebastian!

You should so paint little seb as a super cute shaymin, you'll win best painted model at the ToS for sure :lol:

These look good 8) look forwards to seeing them in the flesh. Saruman looks very good, good job on that sculpt.

Mid Sussex Wargamers
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:29 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Good work Knighty Knight, I rather enjoyed look at this :yay:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:08 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Well well well its about time too. Well worth the wait to Knighty. Your work is fantastic mate. Really like all of these guys. Will be following this thread closely

More of my work at

www.ShadowandFlame.co.uk
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:12 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I must say, I'm overwhelmed by all the responses. For my very first WiP I definitely wasn't expecting such positive feedback. You guys and this site are simply the best, thank you so much for all the comments and encouragement.

UNKNOWN wrote:
WOW, AMAZING! do you find it easier to paint larger faces than smaller faces (like the partially covered faces of Minas Tirith Knights)?

I find it much easier to paint open faces, such as Saruman or Galadriel. The likes of Erestor and armoured Glorfindel I don't mind too much, but I must admit that I'm not too fond of painting faces that are within small confinements - such as the plastic Warriors of Minas Tirith.

SidTheSloth wrote:
Knighty!! you should have shown us these before!!
Looks awesome mate!!

I love that eagle!!

superb work 8) :yay: :yay:

I know, I know :P thank you Sid. More eagle pictures coming up imminently. And you really need to buy a box yourself :P

Gandalf The Grey wrote:
Really good,
I think the urak is especially well painted.

Rognarr wrote:
Stunning Uruk! And I want a Hama too for my Edoras court!

GothmogtheWerewolf wrote:
Good work Knighty Knight, I rather enjoyed look at this :yay:

Thank you Gandalf, Rognarr and Gothmog :)

Dorthonion wrote:
Very well done on the painting, Sir KnightyKnight. The only one I would want to tweak slightly (if it were mine) would be the eagle - not that it is bad or anything remotely like that - I would add some more variations on the brown as it looks a bit too uniform. It adds a lot of texture to the bird. Anyway, just my thruppence worth.

Advice noted and much appreciated Mr Dorth. The picture doesn't portray it very well, like the blude shade on the elven armour above (photography is another skill that I must work on), but I began with Dryad Bark as a base, and on the upper feathers apllied Gorthor Brown followed by Steel Legion Drab. Or the other way around... But you're right, I do need to break up the tone a little bit more. I've taken on your words whilst working on it a bit more tonight - pictures of the changes I've made coming up in just a minute 8)

Chris GoM wrote:
You should definitely have posted this stuff before Knighty! They look fantastic, especially love Hama and the Uruk-Hai banner bearer! :yay: :yay: :yay:

I look forwards to seeing what you do next - especially the next eagle ;) 8)

A Knighty never posts his WiP late, nor early, he posts it precisely when he means to! Heh, cheers Chris!

SouthernDunedain wrote:
You should so paint little seb as a super cute shaymin, you'll win best painted model at the ToS for sure :lol:

These look good 8) look forwards to seeing them in the flesh. Saruman looks very good, good job on that sculpt.

If I ever get a Radagast to spare, I promise you I will. Thank you Southy, I tried for ages to get the warm-cream tone right. Still not entirely satisfied, but ho-hum. And I assure you, there's a few Sorcerous Blasts coming your way :P

Dead Marsh Spectre wrote:
Well well well its about time too. Well worth the wait to Knighty. Your work is fantastic mate. Really like all of these guys. Will be following this thread closely

Thank you very much DMS, that means a lot to me :)

And just a quick update tonight, some of the work I've been doing on the Great Eagle. Again, the picture doesn't show it very well, but I've added a much lighter tone to the head, body and upper wings. Also a few more white feathers on the tail. As for the orc, I'm unsure what colour to paint the cloth right now. Suggestions welcome!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:30 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Hey nice detail adding the dead orc hunter to the base! I may have to steal that idea if I get eagles.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:59 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Really great painting here, Saruman looks spot on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:04 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Great eagle! Dead orc on the base is a nice detail. :yay:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:24 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

Awww Knighty you are so shy. Seriously they look wicked good :yay: Loving Saruman and the eagle. You should definately continue this w.i.p. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:32 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

I concur, that eagle looks mightily well done, the orc really does complete it.:yay:

I don't have any spare dead Orcs to do that with as I put them on the warg's bases because there is no way they can balance on 1 foot.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:27 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Excellent stuff KK, really like the Galadriel and Eagle models. Like most people, I will pinch the dead orc idea if I ever get an eagle.

More, more, more.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:48 am 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

I love what you did with the Eagle and I agree - the models are gorgeous! Also, great painting, I especially like your Galadriel, the turquoise-greeny robes look very ethereal :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:00 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I'm glad that it seems I'm onto a winner with the eagle :) thanks for all the comments guys!

(Hopefully) coming up within the next few days - Rangers of Gondor, and a hero or two from the White Council.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:21 pm 
Elven Warrior
Elven Warrior

The dead Orc on the base works really well knighty - I look forwards to seeing your rangers and the next eagle ;)