All times are UTC

It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:54 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mapper - more spiders
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:35 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks guys!

Kalatha - I considered the Wargame Atlantic spiders but from reading some reviews of them (again, grumpy gnome's blog) I thought of them being too "fiddly" to put together without getting more glue on my fingers than I usually do. I like the wizkids spiders in that with hot water I can shape the legs and I can also bend the legs to fit whatever I base them on. I was thinking of cutting one spider to look like it was coming out if a hole in the ground but went with the well instead. Will be interested in what you come up with.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:34 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Those spiders are fantastic. I have the same spider models(*) as you but didn't do anything special for the basing. Yours look much better. :)

(*) I generally try to use real GW models, but couldn't bring myself to spring $350 for the eighteen spiders needed for that one Hobbit scenario. I hope the new Fall of the Necromancer will be a little more restrained.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:02 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

OK Mapper - I'm about to make a start on the Drake/Dragon WIP with a bit of Easterlings thrown in.

Quick question: Which image hosting sight are you using atm? I used to use photobucket until they went all mercenary.

Kalatha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:52 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Dave T - I remember that scenario and your reasoning! When that book came out I thought that was one of the most expensive scenarios (minus ones with Smaug) that one needed to be in a club or work for GW to play.

Kalatha - I use Imgur for my photos. Once you have uploaded a photo, select it and chose BBC code link to copy the image. Just post that link in your post and you should be good to go. Usually do a preview in full editor before posting. I believe the One Ring prefers that images not be too big so I usually resize my images to 800x600 in irfanview before loading to imgur. I understand the mobile app of imgur may not be as easy to use though. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:58 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Awesome - thanks Mapper.

I'll set up an Imugr account and get started. I also have some ideas for a broodling miniature using polystyrene bean bag beans and an anti-static cloth that you use in the clothes dryer. Nothing like making up something else yourself when the model you want has long been OOP!

Kalatha

PS As a kid back in 73/74 I lived in Pullman WA (~300 miles SE of Seattle) for a year whilst dad studied at WSU - go Cougars!

Post subject: Re: Mapper - fellowship conversions
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:19 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

As a second generation University of Washington alumni, I feel obligated to say Go Huskies! FYI, I have a brother living in Manly, NSW (it's a small world)

Saw the extended version of the Fellowship of the Ring in a theater this last week, inspired me to complete and paint the conversions I had done earlier. Finally got Legolas head on his shoulder and redid Boromir's sword arm again. These figures are a love/hate relationship, the way the features are fused together with Aragorn and Legolas, the strange poses,etc.

Anyway, hating taking too close of pictures of these, definitely should be looked on a table from above.

Post subject: Re: Mapper - fellowship conversions
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:59 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I'll let you have the Huskies - as for Manly I had a cousin from Heathcote and lived and surfed there with his mates at Manly for about 2.5 years in a share house whilst living on the dole! Small world indeed. Mind you, I live somewhat further south than Manly - north eastern Victoria atm.

OK here are a couple of teaser images for you for the Drake / Dragon model I made from a couple of cheap kiddies fantasy models. This will become a WIP thread in its own rite shortly. And by Easterling DKs, Acolytes and BC Leaders will have a colour scheme based on it - I think.

Kalatha

PS The files are only ~300 kB each but boy they look big. Couldn't make them any smaller using Preview on my Mac.

Post subject: Re: Mapper - various items
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:07 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Various projects, items bought, distractions, dwarves painted.

In no particular order:

Saw on the Grumpy Gnomes blog some spider victims and thought that was a nice little projects so pulled out mine. Victims from the wizkids spiders, frozen tufts that were a gift from Kuribo.

The Grumpy Gnome had added extra web using cotton, I had read using poly-fil works well also and asked my wife for some. Just pressed it on top of the tufts.

Bought some dwarf statues from Noble Knight games

Bought and painted another blister of Iron Guard, will use them as well as Murin and Darr to guard the roads of Middle Earth, considering them as the Texas Rangers of Middle Earth, tracking down orc raiders, etc.

Finally finished my next batch of Grim Hammers, went with a green and gold motif.

Still dinking on my east wall project.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:36 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Congrats, looks like a productive time for you. I still want to see that East Gate in action! :)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
I still want to see that East Gate in action!

So do I, so do I.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:19 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Thanks for continuing to post such a wide array of projects. It inspires me and others to keep working on our backlog of models.

Great stuff and thanks again for sharing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:13 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Quote:
wide array of projects
:D
I tend to call them lack of focus :-D

Thanks ja33, what are you working on?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:14 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Since you asked, I'll tell you but I'm not proud of it....Basically, I'm working on about 10 different things at once and not making much progress on any of them !

I've got over 30 Rohan Royal Guard (half on foot, half mounted) and they are all half painted..... I've also got all of the following that are half painted and in progress: Elrond ft & mtd, 2 Palace Guard Captains, several Rohan heroes, a few Gondor heroes, 2 Sarumans, and quite a few others that I can't even think of right now off the top of my head...

What I "should" do is just focus on a couple models, and get them done, and then move onto the next couple models, rinse and repeat.......Really the only thing worse than a closet full of gray, unassembled, unpainted models is having multiple Citadel paint trays jammed up with several dozen half painted models....

But every time you (and others) post your pics of your fully painted models, it does inspire me to try to get back in there and get some painting done....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:49 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Yup, that sounds about right for us doing this hobby. I don't like to spray prime miniatures inside, so usually at the end of summer, early fall I prime some thinking that is what I will paint during the winter. I promptly forget what I had primed the last year so I have several stashes of primed figures just waiting. Probably the worst figure I have waiting to be painted is Lindir, the first figure I converted way back on page 1 of this WIP. He is primed but not painted, my justification is that I'm waiting to paint my elves. When that will be, who knows.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:25 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I haven't been doing a good job of keeping up with your work here and I've been missing out on all this cool dwarves stuff. Noble Knight is a great store and those statues are even better! Its great to see you using more of the tufts too. I'm glad they found a good home :) As usual though, the cinematic shot at the end is the real star of the show and brings the dwarven setting to life!

Post subject: Re: Mapper - fellbeast
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:50 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My goal this week was to finish my grim hammers, of course that didn't happen.

Decided to finally do the nazgul fellbeast from the Pelennor Fields box. I knew I didn't want to use the base and stand from the box, I had looked into using a airplane model base instead that would provide more support but decided to go a different route.

Shaved off the weapons and the elvish shield from the existing base and added a broken statue.

Used a sharp xacto and green stuff to rearrange the fellbeast's legs and claws so it could stand by itself

On the base

By not attaching it, I can use it on other bases

Still trying out the height and angle I would want if I wanted to drill some holes and add a flying stand

Against Theoden

As an emissary of Sauron asking Dain where the Shire is

Really need to do those grim hammers.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:11 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Interesting ideas. If you're not actually attaching the fell beast to the base(s), are you going to use magnets to hold it in place, or ... ?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:39 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Added a wash and more ground cover to the statue base

DaveT - part of the reason I went with the low profile of the fellbeast was to keep it from falling over when bumped. Even with magnets I felt the flying model on that one point of contact was too fragile. I will probably keep it with the claws on the statue until I come up with a better idea for it flying. I had shaved the statue and positioned the claws so they grab the statue firmly. Not enough to pick up the base but firmly enough to stay in one place. I can also use the base as an objective without the fellbeast.

Still looking at model airplane base stands where it is more of a surface attachment vs a pin.

Might do magnets for the witch king/nazgul.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:18 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wow, the fell beast just balances? I'm surprised but it's a cool idea.

Hope to see him in action sometime!
 Post subject: Re: Mapper - dwarves
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:58 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Finally finished my grim hammers/warriors of Erebor.

My box of dwarves

The eye patch captain and his followers

Thorin and his exiled warriors of Erebor

Thrain and his warriors

Nain and his son Dain with their grim hammers

I had redone young Dain, before I had Gimli's head on a warrior of Erebor body, didn't like the proportions so reversed it. Warrior of Erebor head of Gimli's body. Had a difficult time finding something to attach Dain's axe head to, went with a toothpick as the handle.

My tabletop plan

As the attack now stands in my head:

Thrain will rush up the main road, blind with ambition he will push forward no matter what.

Thorin will come in later along the lake side, a bit more cautiously but going to his father's aid.

Nain and his son Dain will come in from the side road as the battle turns against the dwarves.

Not sure how to use the Captain and his grim hammers. They might come along the mountain side behind the orcs or be an advance group on the side road.

How is the board coming? Need to add more to the mountain side, lake is done, not sure if I want to add more resin to it or not. Roads will wait after Christmas as I am getting a cobblestone mold then. I considered sloping the hill vs doing a wall but went with game play and the level surfaces.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next