All times are UTC

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 2:29 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 36  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mapper - East Gate game board
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:27 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks everyone!

I took the water feature out of the mold and tried it into a piece of pink board insulation.

I wasn't sure if it was going to work where I wanted it on my planned game board until I put it the opposite corner where I had originally planned.

My planned board (in my head currently) is to have Lake Mirrormere and Durin's Stone in lower left corner (facing the gate) with the old dwarf road going up to the East Gate of Moria. It will be on 1in insulation board with the gate on 2in to a have a slight slope and some elevation. That should put the mountain and gate up against my window sill.

Obviously still in the planning stages, probably many changes to come :-D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:16 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Wow, that does look nice and that board is going to be really ambitious once you get it all together. This is shaping up to be quite an impressive project! I'm looking forward to seeing more :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:01 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hard part done with!

You have your plan, just looking at the photo perhaps the mirrormere end's can be lower for a bit of a gradiant leading up to the mountain doors. I guess it would limit use in future board setups though!

I wonder if old Khazad Dum has a meeting area or something for dignitaries outside of the mountain itself hehe
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:16 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Like your ideas Tylus. Right now I had figured my 2x3 board into three areas, might have to think the top with the gate and mountain face as one but divide the other two into smaller areas.

Would have got more done this week but reading the scenarios I modified a goblin into a orc tracker/goblin stalker hybrid. Knowing that Balin periodically goes down to the Durin Stone, an archer leaves the mountain and lays in wait for his chance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:11 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

I love little pics like that, so atmospheric!
 Post subject: Re: Mapper - Reinforcements have arrived!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:02 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Received my order from GW of Grimhammers, just need to trim and probably swap some torsos/arms around. Won't be able to prime until the weather gets better but have plenty other already primed figures to paint.

Finished my Khazad Guard, ready to support Balin on his expedition.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:42 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

LOTR dwarf models are excellent, so much better than the old Warhammer ones. They actually have legs for a start! :D

Concentrating on working through the Journey Books at the moment, but a dwarf force is definitely on my future wish list.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:30 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nice pictures ... I think that dwarf might just have a chance against the dragon!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:37 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Really glad to hear you got some grim hammers as I know you've had an eye on them for quite some time.

As always, your scenic pictures look magnificent. I like that you chose a non-traditional dwarf color scheme too. Green and brown are great but really common with dwarves. No reason they can't be purple and gold, I say!

Post subject: Re: Mapper - International Women's Day
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:25 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Celebrating with Galadriel.

Done awhile ago, converted Protectress of Lothlorien figure with Haldir sword, set is WETA's Dol Guldur.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:44 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Mapper wrote:
Celebrating with Galadriel.

Done awhile ago, converted Protectress of Lothlorien figure with Haldir sword, set is WETA's Dol Guldur.

Epic! The scenery is really spot on. Do we get a front view of Galadriel?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:09 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Done about 6 years ago, figured since she had a sheath on her side she should have a sword. I have the new Galadriel from the Hobbit movies but i'm afraid to even try and paint her to any level of justice.

(noticed the blue photographed darker outside than in my workspace - feel like I should strip the paint and redo with newer paints available - at some point...)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:57 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Mapper wrote:
Done about 6 years ago, figured since she had a sheath on her side she should have a sword. I have the new Galadriel from the Hobbit movies but i'm afraid to even try and paint her to any level of justice.

(noticed the blue photographed darker outside than in my workspace - feel like I should strip the paint and redo with newer paints available - at some point...)

Looks good, you can do it

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:59 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Galadriel has some great models and I think you could definitely try repainting Galadriel. I bet if you try using layering instead of a wash, you can quickly and easily improve the look on her.

The Galadriel you have that isn't painted, is it the one from The White Council set? That mini looks like a really nice sculpt and one I wouldn't mind getting my hands on!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:26 am 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I actually prefer the conversion I have vs the ones from the two White Council sets. I do need to repaint her though. She fits better with the elves and others vs the Necromancer in those scenarios.

The Glaladrial I was referring to is from the White Council Vanquishers set. All the figures from that set are very dynamic but to me undersized compared to other poses of those figures. I have only taken Galadrial off the spruce to see how she looked against the WETA background.

The other White Council set I only like the Elrond figure, the others are undersized also and Sauron isn't even consistent with the others.

Both sets seem more suited to dioramas vs gaming.

Maybe we can work something out :-D

Post subject: Re: Mapper - Exiled from Erebor
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:16 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

My Erebor warriors. The ones with helmets will join the grim hammers. This group represents the non professional warriors exiled from Erebor when Smaug drove them out. Thorin has recruited the bravest to join him in fighting the orcs during the war between the dwarves and the orcs.

His shield broken, his foe vanquished, Thorin emerges from the oaken glade with a branch as his shield and vengeance in his eye. (corny enough for you?)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:37 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Nice work! Its great to see more painted dwarves. I foresee some large scale dwarven battles on beautiful terrain in your future! :-D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:32 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Great stuff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:25 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Lovely, Thorin has a cork/bark shield right?

I'm after a single sprue of Erebor warriors (also Mirkwood rangers) without having to spend on two boxes as I like their quality.

How is your board looking?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:22 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Tylus, the shield is actually a piece off of Radagast's base. The Erebor warriors and Mirkwood rangers are hard to find (if not impossible) on the secondary market, I agree that the poses are nice, more dynamic than older figures of dwarves and elves.

Quote:

Still in the mind/development stage; I haven't painted the main statues as I want do them when I do the mountain back, do I have the gate centered or off to one side, haven't figured out the different board elevations, trying out several ways to have the stairs for the main entrance, where do I have the road go, balance between gaming and display board, etc.

I wanted an objective of a grove/statue (thanks for the idea) but couldn't decide if I wanted a short or tall statue. Image
Went with the tall to match Durin's Stone and will have them facing each other. Image
I didn't like how I had based the statue so I am redoing that.

How many trees? Wanted a grove by the lake and Durin's stone and one around the statue. Just added more since I had them out.

Looking up the board

Quote:
- unfinished

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 36  Next