All times are UTC

It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:12 am

Post subject: WARMACHINE!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:12 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Osbad drew my attention to this game a while ago, but I just picked up the rulebook for it and it looks fabulous.

The opening page is titled "WARNING, NOT SUITABLE FOR WUSSIES" and reads like this...

Sissies, Little girls, Nancy boys... go home. This game is not for you.
If you cry when you lose, get lost - you're going to lose. If it hurts your fragile sensibilities to see your favourite character get pounded unmercifully by a rapid succession of no-holds-barred iron fury, you'd better look the other way. If you've ever whined the words "That's too powerful" the put the book down slowly and walk away before making eye contact with anyone or they'll realise your voice hasn't changed yet.
This game is about aggression. This is the game of metal on metal combat. This is fuel injected power hopped up on steroids. This is WARMACHINE - the battle game that kicks so much ass we have to use all capital letters.
We didn't set about to reinvent the wheel with this game - we just armour plated it, covered it with spikes and rolled it over your grandma's house.

LMAO - this looks like fun. And at the end of the page they have this to say:
"So play like you've got a pair or put down the metal and go find something made of plastic"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:08 am 
Yes Warmachine is great I got into it about 4 years ago now when i picked up the Warmachine Prime rulebook and a couple of starter sets Cygnar and Cryx.
I now have a large Cryx battlegroup and love the game. I also have recently gotten into Hordes wich is also top notch. I am currently collecting Trollkin for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:53 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

My local game store has a bunch of warmachine players that play on certain nights. Though ive never really read the rule book, i have some of the fantastic models that i wanted to paint up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:10 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Could anyone please post a link to any site that shows what some of the mini"s look like for this game? Is so that would be very cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/warmachine1

Very nice stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:13 pm 
Quote:
This is WARMACHINE - the battle game that kicks so much ass we have to use all capital letters.

:lol:

i have yet to try out warmachine stuff, i havent actually seen many of their minis so i dont whether this game really 'kicks ass' as it says so on the tin :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:22 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Well, the rules seem fairly simple and the game mechanics appear easy to master with little or no need to consult the rulebook every five minutes, so that's a plus.

I am told the game is quite complex on a tactical level, but I have yet to play it so I can't comment on that first-hand. The models are very nice and new ones are coming out regularly, but - and this is an important point as far as I'm concerned - they don't market the game by bringing out new, revamped army lists every three months making your previous purchases hopelessly outclassed. The newer models merely expand the gaming universe and give you newer options, without making the older rules inadequate.

Also, you can buy a boxed 'battle group' for around £20 with enough models for a game. If you enjoy small battles, you can stick with these models. If you enjoy larger games, you can scale up your forces accordingly. You don't need to spend a fortune to get started.

Also, I kinda like the 'sorcerous, steam-powered behemoth' imagery - sorta 'Elric meets the Industrial Revolution' - fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:51 am 
The game can be as simple or as complex as you want or as small or large as you want, the add ons are great I am eagerly awaiting superiority with the more diverse troop types it offers, and may be adding yet more shinies to my Cryx forces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:57 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I just went and bought a Cygnar Defender Warjack. The packaging is very very nice - the model comes with assembly instructions (all Warjacks are assembled in the same manner) and a ready-reference card with its stats and special rules printed on it.

The model is cast very well and all parts fit snugly together without any need for green stuff (gasp!) Plus the mini is supplied with one of those nifty recessed slotta-bases like Reaper models.

I'm very impressed with the quality of the product and can't wait to paint it (oh no, I can feel a new backlog starting).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:21 am 
Muahahahahahahaha you are on the slippery slope to IK Waremachine addiction, yes the Cygnar jacks are cool but then so are most of the range, Khador have some particularly nice ones to choose from as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:46 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Looks very cool, the models are very nice, look great to paint, thanks for opening my eyes Alan

Stefan :)
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:32 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

:shock: Those minis are B-E-A-UTIFUL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:36 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

This is my first Warmachine mini purchase: a Cygnar Defender Warjack. I have 2 battlegroup boxed sets on the way too (gotta love eBay).

He stands about as tall as the Sauron ,odel and weighs around three times as much. Talk about 'Eavy Metal!

Its going to be a real test for me to paint it - need some serious skill improvement to do it justice I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:55 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Here is a link to their site, where there are more pics of the models and such.

http://privateerpress.com/WARMACHINE/default.php
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:39 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Here is the painted beasty - be gentle!

[center]Image[/center]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:55 am 
Very nice Alan, I like the darker blue scheme than I usually see on the Cygnar Jacks, that is something I went for when I painted the one and only Cygnar Jack I ever finished. Seeing yours makes me want o get into painting them again.
I still have the rest of the Cygnar starter box to finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:57 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Just picked up the WARMACHIME Prime Remix rulebook - the revised core rules for the game. And I must say, these guys have come a long way since they first started out! The rulebook is full colour throughout, with some fabulous artwork and stunningly well-painted minis. I haven't had a time to look at it in very much detail, but the text is extremely easy to read (unlike the original rulebook, black text on grey background!) and beats the living daylights out of any and all competitors' products in terms of professional presentation.

This is a gutsy game that is certainly worth looking at if you get a chance.

Full marks to Privateer Press for this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:20 am 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Hello guys,
Well, I might get some Khador minis, since I think ther awesome (I mean, Russian steam-mecha warlock stuff, tell me thats not cool :D ). I really like ther warjacks, and Im probably gonna get the starter set. Any ideas on paint schemes?

DOUBLE WOOTAGE....erm, yeah.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:22 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

There are some really impressive minis in the WARMACHINE range. I have one mini from the Privateer Press - a dwarven Mechanik. A slightly different approach to painting minis (compared to GW stuff), but they do look great :)

Great job on the Warjack, painting large surfaces in one colour isn't easy, but you managed to achieve a very nice look. The base is also excellent. Some close-ups would be nice, but as I said, it looks great! Happy painting, dont forget about LotR though :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:43 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Dayyummm...

Those are all very impressive models...I sorta have a burning desire to paint ém, and play with 'em :? My favourites are the Cygnar and the Protectorate. Verry nice!