All times are UTC

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:00 am

Post subject: MoM board walls?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:47 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Hi guys,

yesterday i started a MoM board. I wanted to spay a basecoat today.
But i wondered if i should wait with that untill i added the walls?
And how should i best make the walls??
Balsa wood ? Metal(so my gobs can stick on it)? Regular wood? Cardboard? Isimo?
I don't know how to attach the walls either. Stick it to the sides? Nail it in case of wood? Glue it on?

any hints?

Greetings

Wouter.

Post subject: Re: MoM board walls?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:38 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Couldn't wait spraying it. But the sand doesn't seem to get complete dark? Several layers needed i guess??
But my spraycan is empty now :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Most sands are going to be absorbent to various degrees. This is why you see them used in spill control in garages and accidents and why beaches are such a mess to recover after an oil spill. You will definitely have the best results with several thin coatings of black spray paint. Don't bother with anything expensive. Just pop into your local hardware store and pick up a couple cans.

The most stable, but least flexible, option would obviously be to build your walls right to your play surface. But it sounds like you are going for having them movable. I think this is an awesome idea. Not only can you pack it up far more easily (both for storage and transport) but your wall pieces can become your "terrain" when it is time to place them before a game. Let each player take turns positioning walls, pillar sets, pits, etc. You can also pick them up and move them if they are in the way while playing (just keep markers down so you return them to the correct place).

If that's the route you're trying to go, then I suggest you keep the walls to about 12" in height at the most. Anything more will make it harder to keep the area playable. You could probably get away with 8" and still have it look appropriate considering the short size of most models. Put these on a base made of heavy card stock or (preferably) MDF and finish the base similar to how you finish your game board surface so that it looks consistent. The shorter walls would have the extra advantage of being more stable than the higher ones, but if you have 2-3" of base around the long edges you should be fine.

Using pink/blue insulation board is the most durable option and is lightweight though you'll want to rough it up a bit obviously. It would look cool to have options for your Goblins to "stick" to the walls but this could add a lot of complexity, cost and weight for less-than-expected results. A few ledges or upper-level "caves" would give opportunities for placing models on the vertical plane, but

There are some very good examples of Moria terrain around here (at least there used to be...I'm sure many of the articles are still here after the rebuild). Also, the Khazad Dum supplement would probably be a great inspiration for you. In addition to the basic terrain it has some nice examples for Dwarf mine structures and such and some really good scenarios.

Post pics of your first wall attempt and I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions from the group here.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:43 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

ty , the walls will not be removable but the gates will be. So i can lock off gate sections if i need to. I am only going to put up two walls - i think. But i ll test wether i will do more or not.

first attempt
i clean up the gate hole with cardboard layers

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:37 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

What you have done looks good. I would use glue and nails to attach wood. The white low density foam will need to be reinforced with card and or paper and lots of glue and sand. It will work fine with some effort.

It is my opinion that the board will be more versatile if you don't make the walls permanent. You could use it latter for Goblin Town or Gondor for example.
Is Isimo Clay? If so it will make great walls and wells.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:55 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Oldman Willow wrote:
The white low density foam will need to be reinforced with card and or paper and lots of glue and sand. It will work fine with some effort.

It is my opinion that the board will be more versatile if you don't make the walls permanent. You could use it latter for Goblin Town or Gondor for example.
Is Isimo Clay? If so it will make great walls and wells.

isimo is that foam stuff excisting out of small pellets - wich are a mess to clean up - always forgetting the english name.

U think it's needed to reinforce the whole with cardboard then? :!: Both sides :?:

I glued the walls on , at first wasn't sure if it was a good idea. For indeed it could have been used for other things as well...
But i do think the option for more things is there - i ll make a test picture so i can show what i was thinking of.

I will upload some pictures in a few more minutes.

I want to know wether i should put on a 3th wall on the short side of the board.
Also i want to know if anyone has an idea if the walls should get decorated or not? I don't remember wel if they were having decorations.. or not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:02 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

scrap to indicate a possibility of a moria bridge
might be possible to make variations on that

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:23 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I love the floor! 8)

The doors look really good with the cardboard trim work too. I look forward to seeing a complete wall when you finish it up. Even if you keep the large walls glued on the outer edge you can always make a couple divider walls, columns, cave rock formations, etc for variety on the main play area.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:27 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

TY
Just took a copy of the picture from my wip -
This is what i got so far. Ye the purpose is to be able to put more walls in it or rocks if i want to do so. So i still can change terrain whenever i want. I also left the gates open so i could place other boards near it. To expand the board itself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:45 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
U think it's needed to reinforce the whole with cardboard then? :!: Both sides :?:

Yes. I think you can use the card reinforcement as decorations. The Tomb was originally a library.Book shelf's would make good decorations.
It looks very good so far. 8)
The card doors are very nice :!:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:58 am 
Craftsman
Craftsman

You could construct a box shape using cam screws and dowels. That way you can take it apart with a screw driver. Maybe overkill but it would be very sturdy. You could actually enclose the whole thing and add handles to carry it around or put on some casters and have a nice coffee table.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:40 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Well i don't think i will take it for long distances :) it's quite heavy (thick wooden plate)
Ty for the hints tough. I will not make a library i think. It's always attempting to make almost a diorama kind of board to play on. But i am afraid i might get tired of playing on the same board all the time. So might be good to keep it like this.
And make some extra pieces to put in the gaming board.