All times are UTC

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:57 pm

Post subject: Styrofoam
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:49 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

I was looking for materials for scenary and i came across styrofoam. does anyone know how good this is for scenary?

Post subject: Re: Styrofoam
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:09 pm 
Craftsman
Craftsman

Seriously? :? Sorry, I don't mean to be rude but I don't think I could be more surprised by a question.

The answer is that styrofoam of one sort or another is pretty much the standard material used to make most kinds of terrain. From hills to bolder strewn fields to castle walls and wizard's towers. Its cheap, fairly easy to work with relatively durable, lightweight and easy to transport.

Many many people start with the styrofoam inserts that pad computers and telvisions in their boxes but you can get sheets of the stuff at Do It Yourself stores. They white kind is cheaper but also less durable. Generally speaking the best bet for terrain is the high density insulation styrofoam that is usually pink or blue.

Some advice for working with the stuff.

A hot wire cutter is a godsend for shaping it. You can cut it with a knife but a wire cutter is much MUCH cleaner and faster.

You can use basic white or wood glue to glue multiple layers together, like for making a hill, but sometimes the sheets will warp so it is best to weight them down until the glue thoroughly dries.

Spray paint or any kind of aerosol with acetone in it will dissolve the surface. Sometimes this provides a useful effect but most of the time it is bad. Spray paint that has keytones instead of acetones is safe though.

If you don't have a hot wire cutter, probably best to cut the stuff outside 'cause it WILL make a mess.

So, to actually answer your question,

Very.

Hope that helps.
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:50 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Our Club Work day Saturday

This is the medium density pink foam most often used for terrain. I have a hot wire cutter and commercial grade cutting tools but I used a razor and a strait edge to cut the foam into 2'X4" sections.I used a bondo grader to shape the sections. This is the D day table for our June 6 club game.

Image Image Image Image

We used house paint as a base coat and glue to attach saw dust to the sections. Note the sifter. The road and river bed were covered with dry wall mud or filler.The surface will be dry enough for me to go back today and finish. Fred will finish the beach sections at home. We will add more texture next week. Making sections or hills for LOTR works the same way. Fred told me he spent $80 for the materials for both four by eight tables and the hard board bases.I think that includes the razor knife and grader.

you can view the whole album on photo bucket by clicking the thumb nails. I am wearing the red shirt.I hope this helps.
Fred's D Day link
http://www.warplay.com/Warplay15D-%20FOW%20Day-Day.htm

This is what I did today it needs to dry so I can dry brush it and add flock

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:13 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

Thanks very much. dont know much about foam and that. but thats really helped me

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:19 pm 
Wayfarer
Wayfarer

btw awesome tabels

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:02 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I am glad it helped. I think photos tell the story better than words.
We will add more details as we progress
Link to finished table http://warplay.com/Warplay06%20FOW%20D-Day%20Game.htm