All times are UTC

It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:48 am

Post subject: Burning Foam?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:13 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I have seen some nice work done using a torch or hot-air gun against the chunky white Styrofoam to melt it into nice rough cave walls (rather quickly too I might add).

I am about to start on some subterranean work and was going to be going with the pink boards from Home Depot. I was wondering if anyone knows if the pink stuff also melts well under a lower powered torch? Also, how bad would the smoke be compared to the white stuff? I do have a hot wire cutter I’ll be using and could always just cut, rough the edges and then spackle for texture. But I like to keep options open.

http://TacticsInMiniature.com
 Post subject: Re: Burning Foam?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

I do not know if you are aware of this already, but foam burning or melting produces a highly TOXIC fume so if you insist on doing this, do so in a well ventilated area.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:24 am 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Generally you should melt the foam rather than burn it. If you can adjust your hot wire cutter dial it back until it just stops stops smoking, If you are using a flame hold it far enough back so that the heat does the work with out setting the maternal a fire. I purchased a hot air gun at Harbor Freight for less than $10. I have not used it yet. The $20 hot knife works as well as my expensive version. The pink foam is a denser version of the same material as the white. I don't think one smokes more or less than the other.

With the cheep Harbor Freight hot knife no smoke at all. Two Inch Pink foam.

The cheep knife has a fixed rather thick blade and no attachments. My older hot knife has all of the attachment you would find on a jig saw.

Some home made and commercial accessories for my hot wire cutter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:43 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

I really should have used the phrase melt vs. burn. But you got the idea of what I was after. :-)

Yes, I'm very aware of the fumes but I appreciate the warning none the less. It's one of those biggies that is good to point out whenever the subject comes up. I will be doing this work outside.

I was considering a hot air gun like you mention (Lowes and Home Depot are locals for us though my Dad in Florida swears by HF), but wasn't sure if it would still be effective on the more dense pink foam. I have seen it do good on the white foam. I also hadn't considered trying to scale back the heat on the cutter. I'll have to look to see what options mine has as I purchased it a while ago but haven't used it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:42 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

All good advice! Especially about toxic fumes from plastics!!!
I think my appraoch would be to rough cut the areas you want to open, then come in with the heat gun to refine it.
Less fumes is a good idea, even outside.
One big advantage to the insulation foam is that if you use other hand tools, such as: rasps, files, sand papers, planes, you can achieve great natural looking effects that paint up to rough rock-like structures. I even use pliers and scissors to pinch and bite the surface to create pockets. The key is to not over think it. Spontaneously quick work is key to making it look natural. I have even used the rocks and sticks to scratch the surface... no need to by tools if you don't have the money :-D
I've never really seen the need to melt or use heat to work with the insulation foam because it is much denser than styrofoam. It holds a knife edge very well, and you can cut and snap it if its' thicker than your blade. Why go to the expense and possible toxic release if you don't have to.
Whichever way you chose, good luck!
GOR
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:30 pm 
Elven Elder
Elven Elder

Quote:
I've never really seen the need to melt or use heat to work with the insulation foam because it is much denser than styrofoam. It holds a knife edge very well, and you can cut and snap it if its' thicker than your blade. Why go to the expense and possible toxic release if you don't have to.

Also good advice :!:
:idea: Here is an article on using a hammer to shape insulation foam. I have not tried it yet.
http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/forum/vie ... php?t=8208

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:15 am 
Kinsman
Kinsman

That article is well done, Old Man Willow.
I've used a similar technique, except I was using the different egdes and handle of a rasp.
It's quite effective and fun. Hacking your way to terrian.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:01 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

Thanks for the link. I like that article. I wasn't very excited by the first pic but the ones near the end are very nice. I'll give that a try too.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:30 pm 
Loremaster
Loremaster

that's a really cool articles Willow, I'll keep that one bookmarked for the future. Certainly wouldn't mind trying that out myself.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:23 pm 
Kinsman
Kinsman

Make sure you do this outside!!